Clt says let's talk umass

Watching clips of Coach Healy jumping up and down screaming and fist pumping during the game on the sideline is so reminiscent of Lutz back in the heyday. I remember the one clip of Lutz sprinting down the sideline right before Jobey or Diego shoots a 3 and he jumps with both hands in the air well before the ball goes in and he turns to the fans and claps and raises his arms. I really have missed that type of emotion on the bench. I didnā€™t realize how much I missed it until I saw Healyā€™s clip in that videoā€¦and one of my favorite things about Lutz and his tenure here.

Lutzā€™ teams had swagger, attitude and confidence and his energy was infectious. Looks like Healy is cut from the same cloth. Lutz is as Niner as they comeā€¦and he gave us an identityā€¦an identity Healy is replicating on the football side. I like it. Itā€™s fresh and nostalgic at the same timeā€¦but itā€™s absolutely an identity I am proud of and hope we continue to cultivate throughout the athletic program.

7 Likes

Right on TRL!

This post hit the nail on the head. Those Lutz teams reflected the identity and personality of our university and city. Young, aggressive, and played with a chip on their shoulders. I am proud to be a fan of a football team that plays the same way. If the energy from these first two weeks can be maintained this is going to be a fun year.

3 Likes

clt recommends clam chowdah for the tailgate.

Good post. Bobby had that chip on his shoulder that our fanbase definitely identified with. Teams tend to take on the personality of their HC and I will be happy to see our football program play with the personality that Healy shows. I love the fact that he is getting under peopleā€™s skin. Heā€™s gonna take some flack if things donā€™t go the right way, but Iā€™m glad he is putting it all out there.

2 Likes

Great post.

Random thoughts.
Weā€™ve been favorites at this level twice, both times at home. 1.5 vs Georgia State in 17, and -10.5 vs Rice in 16. We lost both of those games outright.

While this is a bit of a trap game, if we do what we have been doing. They have given up a 70% completion rate, so I would start the game quick hitting into their zone. They replaced three starters in the secondary. I would then hit them with healthy doses of Lemay. I think Henderson could be big sitting in the zone.

On defense, we should continue the pressure on the qb. Their qbā€™s have thrown 4 picks in 64 attempts while completing less than 60 of their passes. They evidently donā€™t have a great Oline but have only given up five sacks. I think constant pressure from different places could expose the qbā€™s.

On special teams, Iā€™d go for touchbacks, take touchbacks, if possible, and defend every punt as if itā€™s going to be blocked.

Iā€™m hoping Healy will get the guys up and we get off to a quick start (win early because lack of depth is real). We can absolutely beat these guys, but Iā€™m not so secure in our talent that we can beat any team with 85 scholarship by more than a touchdown (weā€™ve won FBS game by more than five points twice).

I also donā€™t think we will score at the pace we did against App because we wonā€™t (theoretically) be chasing them.

I say we give up a late garbage score and win 34-27.

2 Likes

I feel like this game will be a nail biter and UMass will play better than expected. I like this Niners in a close game that comes to the fourth quarter.

not gonna lie, I felt young, aggressive, and like I had a chip on my shoulder on Saturday. It felt good.

2 Likes

Staff is definitely trying to eliminate the loser mentality. I think he wants to murder Umass

2 Likes

Saw the 2 deep on Twitter and QB still shows Chris Reynolds or Brett Kean.

Anyone else see this as disrespectful to Chris. I get it for the 1st 2 games but given how Chris played last week I feel heā€™s earned the right to be called the outright starter. He can be on a short leash or you can still try to get Kean some snaps but after what Chris has shown the last 2 games give the kid the respect he deserves and drop the ā€œorā€.

1 Like

Healy has talked about it being Reynolds job until it isnā€™t. I donā€™t think a bad drive or 2 causes Reynolds to get yanked.

I think Reynolds has no problem being underestimated. He has a chip on his shoulder.

This is one depressed fanbase here:

https://www.umasshoops.com/newboard/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16207

Been there.

Yeahā€¦ tough go for them for sureā€¦ hopefully they are depressed for another week then stage a rebound for the ages and go from 0-3 to 9-3

Even during the 1-11 year we still had a decent game discussion thread up.