clt says that WE are being blamed for unc-ch and duke not selling out twc arena

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/03/16/2146056/tickets-remain-for-charlottes.html

how are we being blamed???

Whoever came up with the price(s) is to blame (and insane). $231 for upper level when it could be watched at home is nuts.

clt says to read the comments.

clt says this is just another example of the change in the region. many folks are here that have no ties to duke or unc-ch and simply dont care.

I think I saw one person blame us and it was probably another metro name or his buddy.

The price is to blame.

Personally I think this entire thing is pretty dumb, why are we the “host” school when the games aren’t played in Halton, maybe someone in the know can explain this a little better than me, but do we get anything out of this? Other than first dibs at the tickets?? woopty doo.

[quote=“EE9er, post:6, topic:25155”]Personally I think this entire thing is pretty dumb, why are we the “host” school when the games aren’t played in Halton, maybe someone in the know can explain this a little better than me, but do we get anything out of this? Other than first dibs at the tickets?? woopty doo.[/quote]Just kinda a tradition thing. Used to be schools actually hosted in every sense. Now it is so big they need to have bigger venues than most school’s arenas. So we “host” cause that’s how it has been, but at TWC cause it is big. Could also be logistical reasons for keeping a University as “host,” but I don’t really see why.

Uh yeah… ::slight_smile: anyone else want to take a shot.

Uh yeah… ::slight_smile: anyone else want to take a shot.[/quote]
Oh yea lol. That’s not it at all. What was I thinking?

I have no idea about this - but I was thinking about it the other day. I’m assuming its because the universities are directly tied to the NCAA. This would allow them to be branch of the NCAA as well as take a form of responsibility for the distribution etc. when their sole focus is already university athletics.

A guess. Not to mention its generally good pub for the school.

Uh yeah… ::slight_smile: anyone else want to take a shot.[/quote]
Oh yea lol. That’s not it at all. What was I thinking?[/quote]

Bust? You serious? It’s a tradition thing? It’s tradition that they play the games in a venue that a college team doesn’t play in then say the school that is 10 miles away is “hosting”???

Questions I was just wondering -

Do we get any money out of this?
Do we get part of consessions?
How much does the owners of the arena actually get?
Like some have mentioned is it our “job” to sell these tickets… if so we are in trouble.
Do we lose money if we don’t sell them?
Who set the price then?

If anyone can actually answer any of those I’m just interested.

I have heard that we can get approximately $300k by hosting if the event is sold out.

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:12, topic:25155”]I have heard that we can get approximately $300k by hosting if the event is sold out.[/quote]I heard the same, could be $300k+ with a sellout.

http://charlotte.johnlocke.org/blog/?p=11624

Well if we were supposed to market the tickets we dropped the ball because all we did was market to Charlotte fans - maybe we should have tried advertising at a WalMart?

wonder how the attendance is at other NCAA arenas?

The tradition is having universities host the games.

clt says that they said duke has wal mart fans? yes, but no one has wal mart fans locally like unc-ch.

From what I’ve seen on TV plenty of empty seats in multiple arenas.

I know the last time we hosted, I was also a Bobcats season ticket holder. They offered Bobcat season ticket holders a chance to get tickets prior to goign on sale to the public. I am sure they did the same this time.

I don’t see how these games are not sold out with all the walmart duke and holes fans within driving distance. I think the blame falls on these fanbases rather than our ‘marketing’. Those fanbases can talk the talk but don’t put their $$ where their mouth is.