clt says UNC Charlotte coud hit 60,000 students

No, we would still be a part of the UNC System, this would just be a name change. Like ECU, App State, and NCSU, we would not use the UNC prefix.

NC State, App State and ECU are all in the UNC system. Dropping the UNC name does not equal dropping out of the UNC system.

You are assuming incorrectly, and exactly what the powers that be in Raleigh & Dubois want you to think. NCSU, ECU, App, etc are all UNC system members without the UNC-naming convention. There is no requirement that we use it at all. None. Or else those schools would be UNC-R, UNC-GR and UNC-Tweetsie :stuck_out_tongue:

Please, if you catch people perpetuating this myth, do all of Ninerdom a favor and politely correct them. This one has to stop.

You are assuming incorrectly, and exactly what the powers that be in Raleigh & Dubois want you to think. NCSU, ECU, App, etc are all UNC system members without the UNC-naming convention. There is no requirement that we use it at all. None. Or else those schools would be UNC-R, UNC-GR and UNC-Tweetsie :stuck_out_tongue:

Please, if you catch people perpetuating this myth, do all of Ninerdom a favor and politely correct them. This one has to stop.[/quote]

lol I caught myself and revised my original comment because I remembered the other schools in the system mentioned above did it, but you guys responded too quickly :smiley: But seems like something that shouldn’t be too hardpressed to ask for if we had a leader with a vision and will to make this university great. Will be a great day when it happens though!

Please, if you catch people perpetuating this myth, do all of Ninerdom a favor and politely correct them. This one has to stop.[/quote]

lol I caught myself and revised my original comment because I remembered the other schools in the system mentioned above did it, but you guys responded too quickly :smiley: But seems like something that shouldn’t be too hardpressed to ask for if we had a leader with a vision and will to make this university great. Will be a great day when it happens though![/quote]

I support the name change, but let’s not fool ourselves into thinking this would be overwhelmingly supported even among our own alumni. Most of our alums have not stepped back on campus since they graduated, and the school was 1/3 or 1/2 the size it is today. Many will still see value in the “UNC” tag. They need to be educated on who we are today before many will support this.

Wow. I’m shocked people think rebrand is leaving UNC system. Half of UNC colleges are not called UNC–####.

Keep UNC Charlotte as official name and brand it UC. VT and GT are clear examples how this is done.

The whole point of the movement is to drop the UNC prefix altogether. We already did a rebrand without changing the official name in 2000. It hasn’t had the desired effect.

#droptheUNC

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:27, topic:32327”]The whole point of the movement is to drop the UNC prefix altogether. We already did a rebrand without changing the official name in 2000. It hasn’t had the desired effect.

#droptheUNC[/quote]That’s because the University wasn’t a part of that, just athletics. Need both entities to be on the same page. I think both can work if the school moves to doing business as “University of Charlotte”

clt says uncc.edu is problematic

we should already be using charlotte.edu

Wow. I’m shocked people think rebrand is leaving UNC system. Half of UNC colleges are not called UNC–####.

Keep UNC Charlotte as official name and brand it UC. VT and GT are clear examples how this is done.[/quote]

Through this I’ve found that many many folks think we have two systems the UNC system and the State system. They think App and NC state, ECU and WCU are one and the UNCs are another. It’s a convoluted mess.

Keep UNC Charlotte as official name and brand it UC. VT and GT are clear examples how this is done.[/quote]

Memphis was Memphis State University not so long ago.

The dual system idea isn’t that unusual (Texas has different systems, Georgia has different systems, Virginia used to, etc.). I can see why they might think that.

All in all, I just don’t want to be asked if I’m a big Tarheel fan every time I go for an interview. I’m sick of the idea that we are basically UNC-Chapel Hill - Charlotte campus, and I don’t want anymore of our accolades to be credited to the school that has systematically, routinely, and, at times, successfully hindered our development, growth, reputation, and recognition.