clt says UNC Charlotte coud hit 60,000 students

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/opinion/op-ed/article198150584.html

I think it can happen too, not sure when, but that is also not counting the University buying up more land in and around the area. I know most of it is being developed, but who knows.

Center City campus obviously plays a big role in that as well. The future of this institution is bright as long as we finally we get the funding we deserve and need.

After teaching down at center city building last week, I predict we expand our footprint there. Not sure if it will be another building or leasing space, but I expect us to have more academic facilities there in the next 5-10 years. Speaking to the folks in the building they said when it opened no one wanted to be there but now the classrooms are in high demand for undergrad, grad and continuing education classes. That isn’t even including the fact that their parking deck is about to open and light rail is about to crank up making it even more appealing.

That area around Center City building is just waiting to explode. 1st Ward has the most developable land in Uptown, esp around the park and Center City. I know there is a proposed office tower that would be adjacent to Center City (I think on the blank/flat side of the building). There is an apartment tower proposed as well. So much potential in that area. In regard to the parking deck…there was a delay in the wrap around apartments (revision), but Levine has been notorious for delaying projects and land banking all that land in 1st ward. But I agree with you, def see the University expanding it’s Uptown footprint.

I was the first class that went there in the business school. It has taken some time to get rolling, but it is a great asset of ours.

The master plan mentions “Center City II” under “Currently Planned Appropriated Projects” with 30k students as the milestone.

With 60,000 students being mentioned at what time does the university consider additional campuses beyond the main campus in NE Charlotte and the uptown campus? Should a south Charlotte campus be considered? Should an additional campus be added in one of the surrounding counties that is underserved? Should UNC Charlotte become the University of Charlotte System with multiple accredited campuses similar to the USF System or the UNT System?

The University of Charlotte System has a nice ring to it

Besides expanding Uptown, the only other additional campus/branch I would want would be for a med school and we teamed up with a hospital. Otherwise, it would feel like CPCC and their 8+ campuses. Not a bad thing, but I personally rather build up our main campus and Uptown. I sound like a broken record, but with the Light rail is going to be such a game-changer…it should be able to connect future students from all the above-mentioned places (or short drive to one of the many park n rides).

How about a Southwest campus? Three, all along the light rail line. That should cover it.

The University owns plenty of land around the current campus. I think only about 200 of the 486 acres have been developed.

60K? Have you been drinking again?

If we do that many, do regional campuses like UCF. Do South Charlotte, Lake Area, Iredell, Lincoln, Gaston, Stanley, Union, Cabarrus, Rutherford, & Anson counties. USC has a campus in Charlotte, so we can do York, Lancaster, & Chester counties.

https://ninertimes.com/2018/02/should-we-be-the-university-of-charlotte/

He’s not alone.

Satellite campus in Orange County.

Dubois stressed if it ever were to happen, there’d have to be broad consultation with students, alumni, donors, faculty and staff.

“I’m going to leave that to the next chancellor,” he said. “I just think it’s a big project. We got so many more important things we need to worry about.”

clt says the bad grammar alarm just went off.

How many of you know that the University of South Carolina has an MBA campus at 200 S. College Street? I didn’t until I stumbled across it last week while walking to Epicentre. I was amazed, it’s really nice looking from the street. Wake Forest, Northeastern, Montreat, Johnson & Wales, … and now South Carolina?

I’m sure it’s small, but think about it. It’s right in the thick of uptown. If you worked in the BB&T/Wells/BAC bldgs, you could attend MBA classes after work and not even have to step outdoors to get there. With all the available real estate uptown 10 years ago, I wonder why we didn’t focus on grabbing a few floors of a center city high rise (or two) instead of building a stand-alone campus out where the homeless sleep. I can’t imagine too many people willing to walk back and forth from their parking lots to Charlotte Center(not) City campus after dark.

What about:

THE UNIVERSITY OF CHARLOTTE-CARBORO

THE UNIVERSITY OF CHARLOTTE-BLOWING ROCK

Our “chancellor” has little to no vision or marketing sense and continues to dance around the issues. Now is the time to create a brand if you truly believe the university will get to 60K students.

[quote=“MEGRNiner, post:16, topic:32327”]How many of you know that the University of South Carolina has an MBA campus at 200 S. College Street? I didn’t until I stumbled across it last week while walking to Epicentre. I was amazed, it’s really nice looking from the street. Wake Forest, Northeastern, Montreat, Johnson & Wales, … and now South Carolina?

I’m sure it’s small, but think about it. It’s right in the thick of uptown. If you worked in the BB&T/Wells/BAC bldgs, you could attend MBA classes after work and not even have to step outdoors to get there. With all the available real estate uptown 10 years ago, I wonder why we didn’t focus on grabbing a few floors of a center city high rise (or two) instead of building a stand-alone campus out where the homeless sleep. I can’t imagine too many people willing to walk back and forth from their parking lots to Charlotte Center(not) City campus after dark.[/quote]

it is not that far a walk - I made it last week, it is right on the rail line and the building is very busy in the evenings. I think we built a building because long term is made more sense than getting a few floors that would not support expected growth.

Since I’m not that well-versed in this stuff, say we do drop the ‘UNC’ someday…Would we break off from the UNC system? I guess the only Pro of being in the system is the funding? Or could we have a name change and still be in the system? Just wondering how things would be affected funding-wise for buildings/AD/etc or tuition/fees? Prob means it is even more important than ever to (re)build relationships with alum for donations/support.