Clt says we are trending up!

I think itā€™s easier for Hill to fire Lambert as the new AD rather than Judy had she not retired. Judy was the one that kept Lambert on after this season and by the time Hill was hired it would have made no sense to make a change. Iā€™m sure it would make it easier for Hill if he was to go 1 and 11 again but I wouldnā€™t mind him having a little success on the way out.

Thatā€™s pretty crazy. I mean I hated Major thought he was a disaster - but if he got us to the NCAAs then how can I argue.

Seems your hate for Lambert is pretty irrational then if the success isnā€™t enough in your eyes.

I donā€™t think Lambert is amazing, but doing those things in year 6 of a program seems to be enough to keep your job.

People chastised the hell out of me, but I said Iā€™d rather have a bust season than Major make the NCAA tournament in year four and get a four year extension. He was just bad. You could tell he could recruit but was just a terrible coach. Lambert is a great guy but a terrible football coach who has played an almost unwatchable style of football and been almost completely shut out of the local recruiting scene. No chance he makes a bowl, but if he does I still donā€™t want him back. Heā€™s proven heā€™s not ā€˜the guyā€™ and there are so many better options available. Do I want one year of decent football and then five more of the same? Nah, give me what FAU or FIU did last season that immediately rejuvenated floundering programs.

One year of winning isnā€™t success NWA. Body of work is hot garbage. Never had a competent qb. Third O and D coordinator. He can win 13 games this year but that doesnā€™t change what he is, which is is awful. You hated extending Major after NIT. Keeping Lambert is basically same thing. Same recruiting garbage we heard for that.

Edit - Also, I donā€™t value a bowl game as much as others. Five win teams play in bowl games some years. Thatā€™s a bad year.

Last year was terrible. Legit terrible. Iā€™ve said this before. Year 4 he had us on the verge of a bowl. To me that is about as much as much as you can ask for up to that point. Year 5 was a disaster. I donā€™t think Lambertā€™s body or work is as poor as you do. If he takes us bowling or winning a bowl in year 6 I canā€™t really argue with those results.

I believe in the #GoldStandard & have high expectations too but some of you are unrealistic. I believe Mike Hill is smart enough to know what to do after this year.

I kinda of agree NA, but you could see 2017 coming. He wasnā€™t getting players. In 2017, Kluth was awful the last five games of the season, Lamberts blew the FIU game, Rice exposed the lack of depth, and if you watch the games, the only game Lambert outcoached sonebody was USM.
If you go back and read my old posts, I thought weā€™d win2-3 games in 2017, but the experience would be setting up for a real good 2018. I donā€™t believe that has happened, it think 2019 will be 2917 again and I blame Lambert.

clt says we need to step back and assess the program.

The next fb coach is clearly lutz.

We had four wins. We were just as close to a bowl as we were two wins.

What were your expectations going into our 4th year and 2nd in FBS and still not having a full roster?

I agree with nwa. Matches my thinking as well. Years 1-4 were not bad for a new program, especially year 4.

It was in reference to on the verge of bowl game. We werenā€™t.

Many bowl projections when we were 4-5 had us in a bowl, Lambert has given his detractors (and I count myself among them) enough ammunition without going too far.

We were 4-5 with games against Rice (one of the worst teams in the country) MT, and UTSA (who was not good that year). That according to most pundits put us on the verge of a bowl. A more valid criticism would be how we collapsed against Rice (fair catch?!!!).

If he gets 6 wins (will be very difficult) there is no way he is fired (I would not extend him if he only gets (6).If by some divine miracle Vince Lombardi possesses him and we go 13-0 that would more than offset these bad years (yes we have been the worst start up in recent memory).

Iā€™m praying for 3-4 wins and a new regime the year after next, I will happily eat crow if he gets 6+, but my expectations are sufficiently managed at this point.

Lambert needs two 13-0 seasons in a row to break .500.

17-41 yet people want him to stay if he goes .500. YOU WIN JUDY. WE ARE MANAGED.

1 Like

We were going the right way going into 17. The win against Southern Miss is one of the biggest upsets in college football. He outcoached them and should be commended for it.
Thatā€™s the only time in five season that that happened and thatā€™s why he should fired.

1 Like

What are we 1-14 since Southern game?

UIf we had fired him last year I wouldnā€™t have shed a tear. I just donā€™t have the level of disdain that you guys do. I also expected to not really be all that good for 6-8 years, so not being great in year 5 or failing a bowl game in year 4 wasnā€™t a shock.

Best case scenario for me was close to a bowl in year 4 and bowl in year 5 and winning bowl in year 6. We met my year 4 expectation, were miserable in year 5 and missed it. If we make and win a bowl game in year 6 that is in line with my best hopes.

I also hold basketball to a different standard at this point because itā€™s a sport we have been and know we can be successful at. Football on the other hand I honestly never expect to be really good at. Obviously I hope we are, but I just need football to compete regularly and be in the running for bowl games but I have no expectations of 10+ win seasons on a regular basis.

I agree with all of chidaves post, except I think Georgia state was a worse startup. Look at their first 4-5 years vs.ours. They finally got better in years 6-7 maybe. We havenā€™t been through that many years yet.

I agree with NWA. I thought he should have been fired at the end of last season, but if he turns a corner then I wouldnā€™t be disappointed if he got another year. Maybe his biggest flaw was riding with his buddies too long. If the new assistant coaches come in and help get us in a bowl it would be tough to justify tearing that down and starting again. However, many scenarios could occur where the season is good and he still should be let go. We wonā€™t really know until we get there.