Clt says we continue to climb in academic rankings

The University of North Carolina at Charlotte rose eight spots in the 2022-23 U.S. News & World Report rankings for undergraduate colleges and universities, which were released this week.

Charlotte also was recognized for its commitment to undergraduate education, ranking No. 61 among national universities in the publication’s “Best Colleges for Undergraduate Education” listing.

“UNC Charlotte’s rise in the U.S. News rankings is another indication of our University’s growing academic prominence and reputation,” Chancellor Sharon L. Gaber said. “The University has made significant progress over the past decade, with rising graduation and retention rates, and a record number of graduates. It’s gratifying to see recognition for the work we are doing to provide a unique, personalized educational experience for our undergraduate students.”

Over the past decade, Charlotte has shown significant improvements in a number of key metrics used by U.S. News, including six-year graduation rates, retention, graduate debt and alumni giving.

Additional rankings

In other rankings released by U.S. News, Charlotte continues to rank among the top national universities for social mobility, at No. 62. This ranking is reflective of the University’s efforts to support Pell Grant-eligible students, typically individuals from houses with an adjusted gross income under $50,000, in attaining a college degree. Charlotte’s incoming freshman class is 32% Pell-eligible. The University also has a 63.3% six-year graduation rate for Pell-eligible students, which compares favorably to the 65.6% overall six-year graduation rate for all students.

For this year’s rankings, U.S. News collected data from more than 1,850 institutions. The U.S. News Best Colleges rankings, first published in 1983, are among the oldest and most recognized in higher education.

Forbes 2022 Top Colleges List

In other rankings news, UNC Charlotte rose 136 spots overall in the 2022 Forbes America’s Top Colleges rankings, which were released late last month. Charlotte ranks third among UNC System institutions and No. 51 in the South.

Last year, Forbes retooled the rankings methodology to better focus on outcomes. Forbes evaluates schools on: alumni salary, debt, graduation rate, Forbes American Leaders List, return on investment, retention rate and academic success.

For the first time, Charlotte is ranked in several U.S. News specialty categories. To read about the highlights and successes in specialty categories, click here.

2 Likes

I know Gaber’s plan is to have the school within the top 170 of all universities, which honestly we should be had DuBois submitted the paperwork all these years. He notoriously withheld that information. He did have a point though – I can’t see how Charlotte is ranked lower than some of these universities, like Biola University or the University of La Verne, etc. There are schools on the National list that don’t even top 3,000 students or $2million in research expenditure that are ranked “higher” than Charlotte, which shows the biggest flaw in USNWR’s rankings.

However, Forbes and Washington Monthly, along with a few global rankings are starting to show Charlotte on their lists in reasonable spots.

2 Likes

The UNC system is proposing increase the number of out-of-state students at five of its universities, following a similar move at five of its other campuses that took effect this year.

The proposal, discussed at a Board of Governors meeting this month, would raise the cap on out-of-state students from 18% to 25% at East Carolina, UNC Asheville, UNC Greensboro, UNC Pembroke and Western Carolina University. Admissions at the system’s most competitive universities, including UNC Chapel Hill, UNC Charlotte and N.C. State University, would be unaffected, with the cap staying at 18%.

Correct me if I am wrong, but we have the highest proportion of international students in the system. I’m lost on the out of state numbers, but while our local pull is high, our student body is really truly among the more diverse.

Starting to wonder if my B student son can even get into school here without pulling his grades up?

Although Charlotte has been ranked third (one year ranked second) in enrollment with NCSU and UNC Chapel Hill the past three to four years, this may mean that ECU will “sling shot” past Charlotte in this category.

aunt becky GIF

clt knows a way to get him in

3 Likes
2 Likes

I started in the fall of '84 and it was a big deal about passing 10k, but 8k were commuter students while now a large portion are on campus or close to campus.

1 Like

No WoodNiner! We are commuter school and forever will be! No matter how many students we pack into the dorms!!! No matter that we have more students on campus than some colleges have students. No!!!

We are also in concord, Harrisburg and an urban concrete hellscape all at the same time!!!

1 Like

I have to think that is because those are university’s that have a hard time getting in State Students and or keeping Students who drop out/flunk out Freshman and Sophomore years, ie EZU. Only a positive reflection on us, IMHO

1 Like
3 Likes

It was an accomplishment six years in the making, and last April, it finally happened — Phi Beta Kappa, the oldest and one of the most selective academic honor societies in the country, made UNC Charlotte its newest chapter.

The first installation included 68 students who had been selected for their academic excellence, along with 11 “foundation” (non-student) members who were chosen for their devotion to the liberal arts and sciences and their support to UNC Charlotte.

For those familiar with the world of academia, Phi Beta Kappa is a coveted distinction that evokes images of students and professors hustling along leafy Ivy League campuses and studying in storied bluestones.

5 Likes

Charlotte signs partnership with German university | Inside UNC Charlotte | UNC Charlotte.

2 Likes

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/inno/stories/news/2022/12/14/unc-charlotte-entrepreneurship-innovation-center.html

2 Likes

How long have those out of state Caps been in place?

I can’t read the article but if you are referring to undergrad enrollment caps on non NC students they have been there for a long time - I know at least since the late 80s. The purpose is to make sure the university serves our state population first and foremost since it is funded by state tax dollars. One of the ways we have fought lack of funding from the state though is admitting more out of state students at higher rates to make up budget differences.

There was a time when border counties would qualify for instate, I am not aware if that is still the case.

1 Like
2 Likes