clt says we need a rebranding contest

clt says we have lots of talented folks here, anyone up to submit new logo designs?

No matter what anyone comes up with, there will be critics and those that love it and those that hate it and never let it go. That’s the way it will go. Can’t wait. ::slight_smile: ???

1. Change name.

2. See my avatar.

Anybody ever used 99 designs? Pretty cool site for doing things like that. The most recent Miami Dolphins re-branding came from there I believe.

[quote=“ZombieLew, post:3, topic:29201”]1. Change name.

1. See my avatar.[/quote]
  1. A first year marketing student knows everything is perception. So much of that has to do with a name. We can spend and spend on “branding” with mixed results or we could lay all of this to rest with minimal expense by changing the name. University of Charlotte… so simple yet we want to make it difficult.

[quote=“lake49er, post:5, topic:29201”][quote=“ZombieLew, post:3, topic:29201”]1. Change name.

1. A first year marketing student knows everything is perception. So much of that has to do with a name. We can spend and spend on “branding” with mixed results or we could lay all of this to rest with minimal expense by changing the name. University of Charlotte… so simple yet we want to make it difficult.[/quote]

Seriously…that IS the answer.

And I’ve said it before…with all of the negative news coming from “the Hill,” there’s no better time to pursue it than now. It helps us rebrand and separate from the negativity spewing from the school we continue to get confused with.

C made me immediately think of Central Michigan.

Um, gosh, has the AD announced a rebranding campaign and no one was told?

When’s the last time they told anyone about anything?

[quote=“ZombieLew, post:3, topic:29201”]1. Change name.

I would hope not, that looks awful to me.

[quote=“Powerbait, post:11, topic:29201”][quote=“ZombieLew, post:3, topic:29201”]1. Change name.

I would hope not, that looks awful to me.[/quote]

Seconded. No offense, but a fourth grader could make that.

I think it’s even less obvious that your “C” design is a C than what we currently have. The others, I’m ok with, especially the angled 49ers…but the font looks very 90s to me.

FWIW, would like to see official school logo changed too.

“rebranding” involves more than changing your name and/or logo. it demands that you change the way people look at you! so let’s start with how we want them to see us.

1. let's jump on the opportunity unc-ch has presented us:   we are the program that REALLY IS doing it right!    cf.  the old slogan; Quality without Compromise

2. contemporary.   no 20th Century logos or fonts.    use all media possibilities.  creatively!

3. make events EVENTS!   back to the what-was-it thread where some people had some suggestions along these lines.

4. approach the AD with a proposal to create an advisory committee made up of the AD's Dir. of Marketing, two athletes, two faculty members, one member of the student senate (is there still a student senate?), someone from the observer, someone from the chamber, Metro...nah, jkjkjk!      i don't really care as long as the appropriate groups feel represented  and we have good people from the groups/community committees that could have a hand in this.    the charge: to recommend policies, programs and promotions that will promote and support public awareness of the university and its athletic programs in the community.  blahblahblah 

that’s a very broad charge. i think it should be narrowed. but a university/community-wide effort is what is needed in my opinion. and a definite timeline/set-of-reccomendations.
the timing could be sold on the basis of our just adding football. our success in soccer. our increasing alumni/fan base. and throw in a coupla academic milestones!
the message to the internal decision-makers: we have come this far. now it’s time to toot the horn! and it needs to be tooted well!!! and if we don’t toot it, nobody will!

I recommend Comic Sans as the typeface. It’s extremely popular and has a flow to it that lends itself to classiness.

[quote=“earlyniner, post:15, topic:29201”]“rebranding” involves more than changing your name and/or logo. it demands that you change the way people look at you! so let’s start with how we want them to see us.

1. let's jump on the opportunity unc-ch has presented us:   we are the program that REALLY IS doing it right!    cf.  the old slogan; Quality without Compromise

2. contemporary.   no 20th Century logos or fonts.    use all media possibilities.  creatively!

3. make events EVENTS!   back to the what-was-it thread where some people had some suggestions along these lines.

4. approach the AD with a proposal to create an advisory committee made up of the AD's Dir. of Marketing, two athletes, two faculty members, one member of the student senate (is there still a student senate?), someone from the observer, someone from the chamber, Metro...nah, jkjkjk!      i don't really care as long as the appropriate groups feel represented  and we have good people from the groups/community committees that could have a hand in this.    the charge: to recommend policies, programs and promotions that will promote and support public awareness of the university and its athletic programs in the community.  blahblahblah 

that’s a very broad charge. i think it should be narrowed. but a university/community-wide effort is what is needed in my opinion. and a definite timeline/set-of-reccomendations.
the timing could be sold on the basis of our just adding football. our success in soccer. our increasing alumni/fan base. and throw in a coupla academic milestones!
the message to the internal decision-makers: we have come this far. now it’s time to toot the horn! and it needs to be tooted well!!! and if we don’t toot it, nobody will!

[/quote]

clt says we need a Mac Everett like champion for this cause.

[quote=“cltniners, post:17, topic:29201”][quote=“earlyniner, post:15, topic:29201”]“rebranding” involves more than changing your name and/or logo. it demands that you change the way people look at you! so let’s start with how we want them to see us.

[/quote]

clt says we need a Mac Everett like champion for this cause.[/quote]

I GIVE YOU…AND LET’S PUT OUR HANDS TOGETHER FOR…METRO!!!

seriously. i can imagine that there are some community leaders, both within the university and in the larger community, who would be interested in an effort like this. i’ve been gone too long to know the names, but some of you guys do. who among the trustees are solid Charlotte athletics fans! there have to be some Movers & Shakers around that some of you know. you might have to eat crow, but approach the AD with the suggestion!
if this bunch can get football going, surely it can get a branding effort off the ground.

FANSASTIC! let’s do lunch, nlp. i’ll have my people … :))