Clt suggests we reschedule the appy game

Itā€™s going to reach a tipping point for App State shortly. They donā€™t have the room to increase the number of students (fees) and their ā€œamazing fansā€ donated $2M less than us last year (in probably the worst year of Niner sports ever).

They will either have to continually increase student fees or their fans need to put their money where their mouth is to keep playing with the big kids.

1 Like

One losing season or less then 7 wins and the attendance for football games will drop like a rocket since most fans drive from Charlotte or Winston.

Heā€™s no Mike Houston but then again neither is the guy with the losing record at Austin-Peay HA!

Are you asking us? How would we know, like you Appys we did not even know who this guy was a few hours ago. If you are happy with this stealth coach then we are happy for you. Clearly Gillen left no stone unturned in the coaching search.

The ROI for what we pay for = 45-9. And the amazing fans fill our stadium , oh and yours too it seems. Well off to New Orleans to watch a conference champ play. Looking forward to watching yours. Merry Christmas! Letā€™s go Peay!

Why would these successful (but, for some reason, obsessed) unc-tweetsie fans waste their time lurking around this board? Donā€™t know what they could possibly be envious of here. But they certainly give all indication they are.

clt says boost mobile closes at 10pm

It took Appy 87 years to get to their first bowl game. You must be very proud. Bet we do it a little faster.

Crap St. is about to revisit the Jason Capel years.

Looks like App is flooding us again with all their literate fans.

1 Like

Best thing about Apps new coach is going to be listening to Appies trying to read his first name.

Would think Appies would be very familiar with Drinkinschlitz & his assistant Smokinweed.

You nailed the ROI part, canā€™t really argue that. The attendance (15K, butts in the seat was less than that) for the Sunbelt championship was a true representation of your fans. I give my all for Apple State but only when itā€™s convenient, unwilling to put any skin in the game. The fact that your AD donations are 60% of ours only backs that up.

ā€œDaveā€ we all know you wonā€™t be in NO, you will be driving Uber that night listening to the game on 97.3. Next day you will pull out your Heels and get back at it.

1 Like

True story. We added a second deck on the stadium, opened a new football center, etc. Of course, we have a good bit to show for that football spending (hell, just the 1994 team photo has three current NFL head coaches: Mike Tomlin (player), Sean McDermott (player), and Dan Quinn (coach)). Former head coaches like Lou Holtz and Marv Levy, and other players like Darren Sharper (ugh), Lou Creekmur, Pinball Clemons, Jack Cloud, etc. and I think itā€™s done some great things for the school - but thatā€™s not exactly the example they were going for in this piece (I will note that football is pretty self-sustaining, though, through the QB club, etc.).

I knew a W&M football player from the '50s who coached there, too. He said football was the priority for W&M and they had a basketball team only because conferences required it.

W&M has a great football tradition. The point is they spend what is necessary to win at their level.

In the interest of derailing this thread a little further about the Tribe - that certainly was the case for many years. I think a modicum of success in recent years (just a few twenty win seasons - not what we would call success here) has changed that a little bit - especially when you combine it with what is achievable for ā€œsmallerā€ schools on the hardwood compared with the football field. Everyone fondly remembers the Tribe beating UNC-CHeat when they were ranked #2 back in the day. Thatā€™s a lot more achievable than our occasional FBS win to make a minor splash.

I am in the minority in my opinion that the program needs to move on from Tony Shaver, however, so Iā€™m not sure the Tribe will be taking the next step as a program any time soon. Perhaps because thereā€™s a new AD, something might change (now that is something that we can relate to around here).

Trueā€¦ Call me and Iā€™ll give you a ride to your call centerā€¦

clt says it is clear after watching Nate Davis today at the NFL combineā€¦

( for the appys reading this chat page, that is where the top NFL prospects are)

we Win going away with big Nate in the 18 game.