College athletes and compensation - NIL, Alston v NCAA, etc 💰

clt says goodbye college sports…

2 Likes

If you think Alabama’s schedule has more affect on the success of their program than coaches and players, we’re just going to have to disagree.

I don’t think it’ll only be 16 teams. American pro sports are in the 30 to 32 range. I think it would be at least 40. They still want the basketball championship too.

Who do you thinks driving it. It’s not the Charlotte’s and Liberty’s of college sports.

Honestly with NIL and larger tv contracts, they may become less dependent on traditional funding.

This is getting pretty far off topic. I keep opening it expecting to read something about NIL deals and it throws me off when I start reading the current debate.

I am guilty of it too…

Maybe I should split this discussion off if it’s going to keep going.

1 Like

No absolutely its their talent and coaching that allows them to dominate like they do. They just benefit from their place atop college football and they use that to their advantage in every aspect, coaches, salaries, scheduling - everything. They lose some of those advantages if they move into a super league.

If they go to 30-32 teams the top teams would still face stiffer comp week in and week out than they currently do, just not like they would with 16. IMO those top programs want all the money they can get but not parity. They are going to look for a way to get more cash without the risk.

Everything is still dependent on fans.

Hijacking threads is a time honored NN.N tradition! :wink:

3 Likes

Haha I can let it go! I think we have both said what was on our minds.

From Dennis Dodd:

And Mike DeCourcy’s take:

I think the biggest issue is that P5 schools are losing players to other schools because of NIL. This situation is bursting the bubble of a lot of university communities that they were on the same level as their P5 brethren. And that’s pissing people off.

If it was only G5 schools losing players do you honestly think the NCAA would be doing anything???

2 Likes

Do they really expect to be able to compete? I know they have had more success than us recently but I wouldn’t expect them to fair much better than us in the NIL competition.

Also, their NCAA credits from the Marshall era have to drying up.

This is insanity by Wichita State. Talk about a lack of self awareness.

Not to mention this entire situation is in complete opposition of what NIL is supposed to be. Since when is the University supposed to raise money for NIL.

A great number of players receiving NIL money have no actual NIL value without the uniform they are wearing.

FWIW, would think the Koch brothers would be leading the way on NIL in Wichita.

Retroactive for schools that have not signed players yet? I’m not a NIL fan but that sounds like BS.