College athletes and compensation - NIL, Alston v NCAA, etc šŸ’°

And unfortunately we rely on those student fees more than a lot of other schools

1 Like

We are in-line with a lot of G5 programs in that regard. Itā€™s a huge issue though.
The students shouldnā€™t be footing the bill for all of this if players are making money.

3 Likes

NCAA investigations are glorified high school research papers.

1 Like

I am philosophically against NIL but if you were going to form a Niner Collective you could consider awarding players with ā€œendorsements dealsā€ based on merit. If they are named to the all-conference team, all-American, etc. they get some monetary award. This would reward our best performing players and possibly keep them on board.

If someone doesnā€™t put an end to Collectives / Pay to Play, then it will be the death of college football.

Itā€™s that simple. Donā€™t let this current period of uncertainty fool you. This is not a sustainable model for a multitude of reasons.

There is a much better way to handle this but no one will listen, so itā€™s over. Itā€™s just a question of how long the death spiral lasts.

1 Like

I would prefer that over just paying everyone a base salary. That would probably be much more doable for our fan base. But Iā€™m with you. I would prefer this form of NIL didnā€™t even exist.

1 Like

clt plays contrarian for a second. Every year it is roughly the same schools in the preseason top 5, bama, UGA, tOSU, CLEMPSON

Now we have usc, tenn, Texas a&m Miami beating them out for croots.

If you want to compete you gonna have a payroll, period. I jokingly say we should spend the money earmarked for expansion on paying players but its pretty much the truth. And yes I know itā€™s two different buckets (supposedly).

Kids care more about money than they do facilities, donā€™t fool yourselves

2 Likes

Agreed. I think this could be the issue that forces the split. Someone or someones are going to sue their university for having to pay athletic fees when the players are being paid. Itā€™s also going to turn into a political hot potato (it could not sure if it will).

The feds may even get involved.

High student fees for athletics were already a sensitive issue. This is going to turbo charge it.

And if it does it may go like this.

The teams that go full on NIL or paying players or whatever the hell you want to call it, they have to drop student athletic fees down to a level reasonable for what the students actually receive and make it optional.

If the school wants to keep the student fees then they have to get out of the NIL game and so do their boosters.

Anyone know if USC has student athletics fees as a big part of their budget? This might be why they were against the collective.

And if anyone says the private schools can do what they want. Donā€™t speak so fast. Remember their students get vast amounts of federal loan money. Congress can go in and do whatever they want with them. Unless they want to forgo those federal funds.

What a freaking mess. This shit is going to blow up big time.

4 Likes

Totally agree. While I love athletics I have a hard reconciling a player making money if a regular student is being forced to help fund their education and facilities.

To me it just comes down to if you want to field a team that is part of the NCAA you should have to follow their rules. I know they seem to have no ability to enforce those rules but there is no other sports league/organization that allows members to continue to break their rules without being penalized. Unfortunately the courts have consistently ruled against the NCAA going back to the 80ā€™s so why should they even try. Until there is a strong governing body those with the most money will continue to dominate and the rich will get richer. Revenue sharing may be the only way to make it work but there is no way to get those who are profiting the most right now to agree to that.

2 Likes

clt says wait until the college athlete employees start requesting millions to appear in the ncaa fb video game. All we wanted will be lost

The Athletic: Understanding Johnson v. NCAA, the next case that could upend the college sports model.

Man if this happens I donā€™t see how many programs survive. Iā€™m not donating to this model and students shouldnā€™t be forced to fund it.

1 Like

If this happens. Here is the prediction.

The NCAA drops the number of sports you have to support down to just enough to keep Mens Basketball, Football and enough womens sports to match for title 9 compliance (although if they become employees then title 9 will likely be challenged).

Al other teams will be dropped or become club teams that have to be student supported.

This will result in a massive net reduction in people being on athletic scholarship and or playing college sports.

Thereā€™s no way most colleges can afford to pay every student on a team a wage, even if itā€™s close to minimum.

1 Like

This is exactly where itā€™s headed.

2 Likes

We may be looking back 20 years from now and thinking ā€œwow, NIL really screwed up the social good that was coming out of college sportsā€.

Letā€™s hope not.

Im not sure this is the best place to put this or if its already been posted? Its a good interview will coach Healy.

1 Like

I feel like I heard that before. But nonetheless, itā€™s a great interview. Listen to it.

Healy says he is gonna help out a 5th year senior all conference player with good grades with NIL before he uses it as a recruiting tool for new players. I really like the way he put that.

3 Likes