College athletes and compensation - NIL, Alston v NCAA, etc šŸ’°

I think this is how it should work. And it should be divided evenly between all FBS players in good standing. Get rid of all other payments, and ban boosters / collectives from ā€œNILā€ deals. NIL is just for video games, merch (jerseys), and if you do a car dealership commercial.

Give them some of the tv rev and make them sign contracts. Take away every ounce of freedom they hav earned. You wanna get paid like a pro athlete. Welcome to the working world. They want the money of a pro with the freedom of a student. Screw that. I never boo students because they are kids and students, they are inching really close to being treated just like a pro athlete.

Sharing media money with the athletes is going to open up a Pandoraā€™s box.

And I sure as hell hope that they donā€™t get into any ridiculous 50 50 split scenario.

In college the name on the jersey is the draw. Not the players.

Also how the hell is this going to work for the G5? We are hanging on by a thread now. And some of the P5 are in serious debt. If they lose even 10 percent of revenue to the students can they survive?

I canā€™t wait until the first story about a student athlete who gets in trouble with the IRS or who blows all their NIL money comes out. Iā€™m sure the college will be blamed somehow.

1 Like

We have achieved peak NIL.

Any player other than Spencer selling merchandise?

I want to keep loving college sports - but crap like that makes it really hard.

4 Likes

Iā€™m still having a difficult time comprehending NIL. Why would you want to pay someone big money not under contract?

Isnā€™t that where this is going? Signing a contract that ties you to a school?

I keep saying this - but I am waiting on eligibility years to come up next. Whatā€™s the point?

No idea - I know thereā€™s a ton of money out there - but I canā€™t imagine that schools/boosters are going to keep shelling out more cash to an 18 year old than NFL 4th/5th/6th/7th rounders make in one year.

I donā€™t care one iota about Ohio State, but they already got burned by the Ewers kid on an NIL deal. Itā€™s basically the free agent market. Maybe some schools will get lucky and have kids that want to work hard and earn it - that number seems to keep dwindling though.

It would be really bad for us, but students should rebel against athletic fees since these
athletes get free tuition and now get paid to play.

1 Like

How exactly would students rebel?

Take it to court - itā€™s gonna happen. And honestly donors should stop donating especially at the top 20/30 schools where this kinda money is coming in.