College athletes and compensation - NIL, Alston v NCAA, etc 💰

30 Rock Scotch GIF

clt says time to watch the free market work

Some school is going to pull a U of Chicago over this stuff.

1 Like

Don’t believe that crap. Nobody is gonna outbid a school like OSU for a kid they want

Thats the thing - there are schools like OSU. UGA, Bama, USC, those guys can all get into a bidding war. Its just a question of who want$ the kid more.

Yep, it’s the schools like us that are left behind.

1 Like

And with the transfer portal if a kid slipped through the cracks and shows they’re a stud at a lower level school, they can get them easily.

Social media seems to work in situations like this.
On campus demonstrations.
As long as College age girls get on the social media side, it will
gain Traction.

I love how the language around this has changed. They are openly speaking about the schools themselves making the offer not the collectives or other firms.

NIL is not supposed to be an inducement to come to a specific school.

NIL is supposed to be decoupled from the schools because the payments are for the name, image and likeness of the athlete not anything to do with what college he’s attending.

Now we all know that’s being ignored by all involved.

This is just getting disgusting.

Again, I simply can’t believe that some university is not going to just shut it down with this level of corruption going on.

4 Likes

Well, guess we’re going to find out what kind of clout new NCAA prez Charlie Baker has when he takes over next March.

Who will be the first player prosecuted for not paying taxes on their income? Guarantee you a high percentage of these NIL deals aren’t being reported at all.

2 Likes

It will have to be a player making more than $12,550.

1 Like

Man the money side of this is crazy, between pell grants that many players get, to the cost of attendance stipends and possible merchandise and services and straight payments. What a mess.

3 Likes

I’m predicting basically zero. The horse is officially out of the barn now. And good luck getting it back in.

I heard on cover 3 last night that the hosts are hearing rumblings of a few players not getting what they were promised in NIL.

That’s gonna be sticky.

Again, the school should not have anything to do with that.

If your NIL payment doesn’t come through I hope you’re consulting your lawyer rather than running to the coaches.

There should be a firewall between the two.

If you sign NIL deals, put your big boy pants on and deal with it. Hire a lawyer if you’re not paid.

1 Like

I am in favor of ending all of it, and replacing it with a revenue split with the schools. All players at all schools equally. Will bring us back to better parity while taking care of the kids too.

I don’t think the boosters should have any direct contact / support of the players, ever. They can go back to supporting the program. And if these schools still wanna build insane locker rooms they can do it with booster money after they give like 40% of the TV money to the player revenue split pool.

2 Likes

Interesting idea.

But how do you stop NIL on top of that now that it’s started?

Have the players sign a contract that gives their NIL rights into the general pool of revenue?

If so that would probably be better managed, more lucrative, etc.

Would you have a minimum distribution for all players, then graduated distribution at higher levels for starters, players with better stats, awards, etc.?

Ok. That seems pretty serious ……

That will get your legal staffs attention.

clt says NIL can backfire as well for businesses. having a NIL player at CHeat or NCSU isnt going to go well here,