College athletes and compensation - NIL, Alston v NCAA, etc 💰

I guess they are gonna have to tighten their belts then?

Like every other business has to at times??

The tweets I posted were basically mocking the claims of dwindling budgets due to NIL. As the song goes - “Meet the new boss, Same as the old boss”!

Yeah I know.

I just couldn’t come up with anything better.

The P5 complaining about budgets dwindling is laughable.

OMG. Are they gonna have to fly in coach now???

Are some of them not going to be able to fly private anymore???

1 Like

Good overview:

1 Like

Nothing good can come from Congress getting involved.

I fail to understand why they are even looking at this.

In the grand scheme of things this is small potato’s and a waste of congressional time.

We don’t need congressional over site for what is essentially a pastime for the alumni of our universities.

1 Like

I agree it’s a waste of government resources. I also think there needs to be more oversight & enforcement than the NCAA can provide. It’s a losing battle for programs like us. We can’t compete & can’t even attempt to take advantage of the unenforced rules because we don’t have the resources or fan interest to offer much of anything in the way of NIL.

Basically, NCAA doesn’t want to do it’s job. Baker looking like Emmert 2.0.

There is a legal component to this though. Tax implications for the players and possibly changing tax status for these athletic departments. There is also the possibility of unionization and collective bargaining and such.

To me though the biggest thing is just the NCAA trying to stay together as an agency. Without any legal backing if they pass something the B10 and the SEC doesn’t like then those conferences may walk. The NCAA is looking for legal back up so they can actually enforce rules without fear of schools leaving and creating a new NCAA with rules they like.

I look at it a bit like FINRA and the SEC. The SEC has regulations and then FINRA as a group of brokers enforces many of those rules.

Those schools already have the ability to create rules they like. And they have been doing it for a while now. That’s how the Autonomous Five came into being.

Does anyone know what they actually want???

Exactly. Those schools have been able to make rules that fit them. So if the NCAA is gong to try to make a rule they don’t like they need more legal backing than the NCAA charter.

1 Like

Hits nail on the head :hammer:

43etyc

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/04/02/new-ncaa-president-is-tying-to-sell-nil-laws-as-consumer-protections-for-families-and-student-athletes/amp/

Graduate of St. Frances Academy:

She might have all the NILs but she is lacking in any sportsmanship and class right after the Championship game. You won the game, why is that not rnough anymore?

2 Likes