College basketball rule changes

Some good stuff in here.

I’m not sure if this issue has or will be discussed, but after covering more than 100 college games this season and then watching the NBA playoffs over the last few weeks, the NCAA needs to crack down on coaches who are constantly yapping at officials. Most NBA coaches aren’t standing the entire game, and if they have to make a point to the officials, they make it and then sit back down. Many college coaches, largely because they are the face of the sport, talk incessantly to the referees. Hit these guys with technicals early in the game and in the season, and it’ll change quickly.

So does Major gain a possible advantage over other “active” coaches for his restrained sideline demeanor? ;D

So they’re going to emphasize hand checking again? Wonder what VCU games will be like now. That will be the real test of whether they’re serious, are they really going to call every hand check?

[quote=“9erken, post:3, topic:27771”]So they’re going to emphasize hand checking again? Wonder what VCU games will be like now. That will be the real test of whether they’re serious, are they really going to call every hand check?[/quote] No. We’ve seen this movie before.

Every one of these changes for men’s roundball is good in my opinion.

[font=georgia][size=15px]“In addition, greater emphasis is being placed on calling fouls on defensive players who keep a hand or forearm on an opponent or use an arm bar to impede the progress of an opponent.”[/size][/font]

[font=georgia][size=15px]What say you Shaka?[/size][/font]

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:6, topic:27771”][font=georgia][size=15px]“In addition, greater emphasis is being placed on calling fouls on defensive players who keep a hand or forearm on an opponent or use an arm bar to impede the progress of an opponent.”[/size][/font]

[font=georgia][size=15px]What say you Shaka?[/size][/font][/quote] First two letters of his name are the same as the first two of what he said.

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:6, topic:27771”][font=georgia][size=15px]“In addition, greater emphasis is being placed on calling fouls on defensive players who keep a hand or forearm on an opponent or use an arm bar to impede the progress of an opponent.”[/size][/font]

[font=georgia][size=15px]What say you Shaka?[/size][/font][/quote]
Call me cynical, but I’ll be surprised if this is enforced once conference play starts. We’ve seen it before with other “points of emphasis” in past seasons.
Unless it’s an actual rule change, there isn’t any change once conference play begins.

[quote=“X-49er, post:8, topic:27771”][quote=“NinerWupAss, post:6, topic:27771”][font=georgia][size=15px]“In addition, greater emphasis is being placed on calling fouls on defensive players who keep a hand or forearm on an opponent or use an arm bar to impede the progress of an opponent.”[/size][/font]

Call me cynical, but I’ll be surprised if this is enforced once conference play starts. We’ve seen it before with other “points of emphasis” in past seasons.
Unless it’s an actual rule change, there isn’t any change once conference play begins.[/quote]

Agree - until the refs all work for or are employed by the NCAA all season all of this is really just talk.

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:9, topic:27771”][quote=“X-49er, post:8, topic:27771”][quote=“NinerWupAss, post:6, topic:27771”][font=georgia][size=15px]“In addition, greater emphasis is being placed on calling fouls on defensive players who keep a hand or forearm on an opponent or use an arm bar to impede the progress of an opponent.”[/size][/font]

Unless it’s an actual rule change, there isn’t any change once conference play begins.[/quote]

Agree - until the refs all work for or are employed by the NCAA all season OR GROW A PAIR all of this is really just talk.[/quote] Modified

[quote=“X-49er, post:8, topic:27771”][quote=“NinerWupAss, post:6, topic:27771”][font=georgia][size=15px]“In addition, greater emphasis is being placed on calling fouls on defensive players who keep a hand or forearm on an opponent or use an arm bar to impede the progress of an opponent.”[/size][/font]

Unless it’s an actual rule change, there isn’t any change once conference play begins.[/quote] I wouldn’t call you cynical. I’d call you experienced and observant.

If you shoot past half-court, a 4-pointer. If you shoot from the opponent’s basket, a 5-pointer.

From Andy Glockner.

SI.com: World University Games give the latest look at a 24-second shot clock world