College Big Men

[i]Originally posted by NinerAdvocate[/i]@Apr 5 2005, 10:37 AM [b] Like it or not, that's what we're striving to be - the 2004-2005 Illini. [/b]
I would rather strive to be the 2004-2005 NCSU Wolfpack, something we might actually achieve. A team that barely makes it into the tournament then gets hot and makes a Sweet 16.

Everyone knows what UC did with Kenyon Martin and Marquette did with DeWayne Wade, but will anyone ever remember what Charlotte did with Eddie Basden?

Eddie may be in elite company with his honors, but not with where we finished.

[b]Everyone knows what UC did with Kenyon Martin [/b]

Did UC make it to the Sweet 16 with Martin in any of his 4 seasons? :huh: :wink: :ponder:

Yes.

Nevermind, his freshman year was the year after the Elite 8.

[i]Originally posted by Powerbait+Apr 5 2005, 01:47 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (Powerbait @ Apr 5 2005, 01:47 PM)

May even dances well. Iā€™d be thrilled if Iti ever played one game like May has in the tournament.

Got your comparison just fine, but honestly, any system is better than ours, because it would actually be a system.

[i]Originally posted by Powerbait[/i]@Apr 5 2005, 03:11 PM [b] Got your comparison just fine, but honestly, any system is better than ours, because it would actually be a system. [/b]
Our system is nearly identical to Illinois' system. They just exceute way better than we do and Luther Head is light years ahead of any of our 2's since Henry. Their big men ACTUALLY SET PICKS AND SCREENS.

Oh, and they donā€™t run ā€œcornerā€.

Then perhaps we should look into a system our players can handle.

We are talented enough to at least be a Sweet 16 team. UWM certainly isnā€™t more talented.

We should at least be talented enough to make it to the second round.

Why canā€™t our players execute? UAB made it into the second round, even UAB fans admitted we were a better team this year.

[i]Originally posted by NinerAdvocate[/i]@Apr 5 2005, 02:15 PM [b] Their big men ACTUALLY SET PICKS AND SCREENS.

[/b]

Mostly illegal ones, but if they donā€™t call it I guess you keep doing it.

[b]Then perhaps we should look into a system our players can handle.[/b]

What system could we have ran that would have gotten us more than 21 wins last season? Iā€™m just curious.

[b]We are talented enough to at least be a Sweet 16 team.[/b]

We could have made it to the Sweet 16 if we play two good/great games, but we were not one of the 16 most talented teams.

So, you think NCSU is better than we are?

I mean, maybe they are. They certainly play better defense and have a more regimented offense.

It worked against us.

For starters, Illinois has way more cuts, rolls, and ball movement then our system. Furthermore their guys only take good shots. I never said Head taking an off balance jumper 30 feet away with a hand in his face. We could start by trying to imitate a few of those things. Had we done so we probably couldā€™ve gotten 24 or 25 wins.

[i]Originally posted by 49erFan1[/i]@Apr 5 2005, 06:33 PM [b] For starters, Illinois has way more cuts, rolls, and ball movement then our system. Furthermore their guys only take good shots. I never said Head taking an off balance jumper 30 feet away with a hand in his face. We could start by trying to imitate a few of those things. Had we done so we probably could've gotten 24 or 25 wins. [/b]
Plus they play one defense and play it well. I didn't see anybody out there that I wouldn't want playing defense on my team.

Deron Williams has brick feet. Most overrated defender in the country. Watched a white boy from OSU take him apart earlier this year. Yesterday Felton, McCants even Jackie Manuel took him off the dribble. I could live without him.

[i]Originally posted by Powerbait[/i]@Apr 5 2005, 04:18 PM [b] So, you think NCSU is better than we are?

I mean, maybe they are. They certainly play better defense and have a more regimented offense.

It worked against us. [/b]

Itā€™s hard to claim that a team is not better than you after they just kicked your @$$, but I donā€™t believe State had more talent than us. They had more perimeter shooters, and they took away the only one we had. They had no one to stop Withers, but you canā€™t expose them when they take away your perimeter game. State was not one of the 16 most talented teams either, they just managed to beat one in UConn to make it to the Sweet 16.

If the 16 most talented teams made it to the Sweet 16 every year, there would be no need to play the first two rounds. Upsets are what makes the NCAA Tourney opening rounds so exciting. There will always be one, or two, or threeā€¦ With that said though, Iā€™m not going to keep pouting about not making it there knowing that we werenā€™t one of those 16 most talented teams.

I liked Ill 3 pt attack. State is better than Charlotte. Sean May will be a top 10 pick. All UNC players are leaving. :smiley:

[i]Originally posted by X-49er+Apr 6 2005, 09:08 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (X-49er @ Apr 6 2005, 09:08 AM)
[b]So it must say something for the coaching Of Herb Sendek.....Who HP constantly bashes, then right??? I mean State wasn't as talented as you,(Whatever) so coaching must play a part. [/b]

Herb isnā€™t a bad coach, but his style of play is the most criticized of any coach. The style befuddles some great teams, and makes other mediocre teams more competitive than they should be against State. If he gets the talent he needs to compete in the ACC (the upper level), that style will then have a chance to win a title. Any system can win, but you have to have the right players to run it and they also have to buy into it.