Collegiate Licensing Company contract renewed til 2019

In trusting CLC to guide its licensing program since 1987, UNC Charlotte has achieved significant institutional milestones, while continuing to gain momentum on multiple fronts:

[ul][li]2013-14 represented the largest royalty collection in its history; [/li]
[li]Annual licensing royalties have grown more than 20% the past two years, and more than 127% the last ten years;[/li]
[li]Royalties have increased year-over-year in five of the last six years.[/li][/ul]

http://www.clc.com/News/UNC-Charlotte-Extends-Partnership-with-CLC.aspx

So, the same people who brought us all the UNC prefix gear and 80 shades of Niner green?

I blame the staff at the University as much for that.

This just seems lazy. The reason for those % improvements is football. Nothing these folks did. Where is the value added?

[quote=“NA, post:2, topic:29467”]So, the same people who brought us all the UNC prefix gear and 80 shades of Niner green?

I blame the staff at the University as much for that.

This just seems lazy. The reason for those % improvements is football. Nothing these folks did. Where is the value added?[/quote]

Well, CLC works with about 60% of the schools, including most of the big boys. Also, they appear to have a close link to IMG.

One interesting thought is that, while CLC controls licensing, let’s say a company like Jansport had a license for a shirt design. I think that once they have it, they can produce it forever, including with the UNC on it. Alumnus could correct me if I’m wrong, but most stores just deal with a clothing company who already has the rights to print different types of designs. At least that’s how it was when I was looking into it.

I will say too, that despite limited availability, when I inquired about obtaining a CLC license, they did make it seem like it was very difficult to get.