Columbia Regional Report

And the grossest thing is that there are cockroaches all over the place. On the way to my car after the 2nd NC State game, a huge cockroach crossed the sidewalk in front of me. I guess that is bad luck since we lost the next day. At the 2nd USC game, another huge cockroach ran out and then down the steps onto the baseball field. Very gross. I see those damn things running about every time I go down there.

Down there they are referred to as a ā€œPalmetto Bug.ā€ For some reason they get abnormally larger around there, but Iā€™ve seen them as the mascot for local schools (This was in the Charleston area).

There are good parts in SC, Iā€™ve only drove through Columbia and I can honestly say it didnā€™t seem much different then comparable cities of the South. Outside of Columbia, Iā€™ve only been to Myrtle Beach and Charleston. Myrtle, while most of us think of the trashy strip, is a damn fine entertainment area with more to do then you can imagine. My brother lives in Charleston and I can honestly say that it is one of my favorite cities Iā€™ve ever been to (and I have traveled through parts of Europe).

Itā€™s been repeated numerous times but Iā€™ll go along with itā€¦ go out east of I-95 and visit some NC towns and cities, and OBX doesnā€™t count.

Oh yea, I thought I would add, during our last game against USC when it was pretty evident we werenā€™t coming back, I was talking to some USC fans about us and North Carolina. One guy asked me if we liked them at all and I said, ā€œOh no! We hate 'em! Bane of our existence!ā€

They had been talking about how much they hate Clemson and said they would side with Al-Queda if Clemson was in a war with them. He asked me if we would side with Al-Queda if they were fighting the Tarheels. I said ā€˜I donā€™t know about thatā€™ haha. I also was afraid the CIA or FBI or Bushā€™s Secret Police might get me if I said I would side with Al-Queda. What would you guys do haha?

were the umpsā€™ calls as bad as i heard they were. did we have a chance to win either of those games?

[QUOTE=LakeNorman49er;242457]were the umpsā€™ calls as bad as i heard they were. did we have a chance to win either of those games?[/QUOTE]

yes we had a chance to win on elimination night. We were up 5-2. We booted a easy flip to the plate on a swinging bunt giving them a run, had a past ball that caused a run, and were in control until the 2 out/2 strike grand slam. After the slam, it was uphill. If the grand slam is caught (it went over by a foot) I would of felt good about our chances- the big inning would not of existed. The ump was consistent both ways.

[QUOTE=metro;242375]if you live in NC, all I have to say is Gastonia- redneck/trailer park capital of the universe

of course University City is not far behind[/QUOTE]

Iā€™ve got one piece of advise for you if you ever visit my home county (Gaston), keep your mouth shut about rednecks and trailer parks or you might leave with more holes then you came with!:naughty:

In all honesty, I love Gaston County and I love the people there too. You wouldnā€™t want to meet nicer people, although the WalMart Tarhole fans are thick on the ground.

There are poor folks everywhere, just as theyā€™re wealthy ones everywhere. Just so happens most ā€œrednecksā€ perfer trailers to slum lord apartments.

Gastonia didnā€™t become the Charlotte regionā€™s second largest city by being a bad place to live. When I hear Charlotteans bad-mouth Gaston County, or a DamnYankee talk bad about the South they choose to live in, for some reason it always reminds me of a Tarhole fan talking about our 49ers.

[QUOTE=49or bust;242290]I went to the State Museum and there was an exhibit with the CONFEDERATE flags which had been in the State Senate and State House and flew atop the capitol until [U]2000[/U]. You canā€™t make this stuff up folks. Only in the deep South.[/QUOTE]

Just curious, is it OK that this was in a museum now?