Columbia Regional Report

I felt like doing a write up about our trip to Columbia for those of you who couldnā€™t go but wanted to. Kinda go along with the pics seen here: [URL=http://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h188/Charlottedude/NCAA%20Regional/?mediafilter=images]http://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h188/Charlottedude/NCAA%20Regional/?mediafilter=images[/URL]

I got into Columbia about 30 minutes before the 1st game started. Turned out tickets were only $12 for GA so that was nice. When I got in and sat down, I saw that Judy Rose was there. Also SCK was there (Pic 2440). Bobby Lutz was also in the house. The team was introduced incorrectly as ā€œUNC Charlotte 49ersā€ but it certainly didnā€™t mess up our players.

Our first game against NC State was great. We quickly got off to a 3-0 lead in the 1st inning and then tacked on 3 more in the 6th. NC State really had no answer for us. As Mills got tireder, he made a few mistakes which allowed NC State to get 2 runs. A relief pitcher also let State get 1 more run, but there was really never much of a threat from NC State. At the end of the game, State brought in 3 or 4 pitchers in the same inning. I think the coach probably had a good reason, but it seemed kinda sad at that time. Like they just hated the idea of losing to us, and very handily I might add. We won the game 6-3.

During the game I talked to an NC State fan and his son. They both were very impressed with Mills and asked about him a couple times. I also talked to a USC fan who was also impressed with Mills. He told me we would get USCā€™s best pitcher, Hempy, in the next game. He also told me that SC had been in a month long drought. Wouldnā€™t ya know it, the next day TS Barry rolled through and rained out both the dayā€™s games. Luckily, f-o-r-t-y-n-i-n-e-r-s came down and relieved me of my boredom. We went out that night to the Red Hare. If you are ever in Columbia and want a good bar, that is definitley one of em.

The next day HappyCamper49, marcushe, and 2 guys who donā€™t post came down for the USC game. We also saw Over40Niner there too. This game was a lot rougher than the NC State game. The team came out and made several mistakes. Notabley our third basemen missed several easy grounders. One thing I noticed early was how much bigger the USC guys were. Several of their players looked like real MLB sluggers. USC got off to a good lead and we really never had a chance. In the 4th inning USCā€™s starter, Hempy, went flat and we got 4 runs, but then he shut us down in the 5th. After that a reliever came in for them. At the end of the game, we did come back and had we had a few more innings, we may have taken the lead, but we didnā€™t. USC won this one 12-8.

Now I realize we were losing which can make a person more sensitive, but some of those USC fans were annoying! One guy in front of us would not shut up. He sounded like he had a freakin christmas ham stuck in his throat. They also talked a lot of rediculous trash. One crazy thing was that the Uh-Huh guy got talked to by the USC cops. They basically told him to be quiet. Seemed pretty messed up to me, but Iā€™ll get back to that later.

So that night we played NC State and this game made me feel a lot better. We totally whooped their butts again. Two times they made surges but never really came close to beating us. It wasnā€™t crowded again so all the niners sat together and made a ton of noise. I sat with Over40 and UNCCTF and also met Ninerballin. We won 12-10. After two games, I donā€™t know if I just didnā€™t see what NC State really had since their best pitcher was hurt and never played, but I was not impressed with them. Seemed like we had a much better team than them. I felt really confident after this win and it really felt like we had a shot against USC.

To start the day off, I stopped by the SC State Museum. It was pretty cool, affordable, and I do recommend it. That afternoon we faced USC. I donā€™t know why they didnā€™t start sooner because if we won there would be another game, but the game started at 4pm. The place was once again packed. The USC people put a live chicken on top of our bullpen. I thought that was pretty funny. Out the gate the niners were hanging in. Then in the second inning, we got a run but clouds began to threaten. In the middle of the 3rd, score still 1-0, there was a rain delay. It lasted about 2 hours and play did not resume until like 8. We had major momentum going into the delay, but afterwards it seemed to have diminished for sure.

The USC fans came back 3X as loud. USC got 2 runs and I got worried but then we came back and scored 4 runs and it seemed like our momentum was back and better. Everything was going okay, until our relief pitcher through the wrong pitch to the wrong guy. All tournament long I had heard that #50 Disher was due up and this turned out to be his time. Iā€™m pretty sure all we needed was one out, bases were loaded, and Disher came up and knocked out a grand slam. I think this is what really did us in. For the rest of the game, until the bottom of the 8th, we hung in there, but I think that grand slam just took the wind right out of us. If we played them a 3rd time, I think we could have won that game. It was a disapointing end to an amazing season, but USC did have the better team and I really hope they destroy UNC in the Super Regionals.

Now I have to get back to the USC cops. They were talking to our fans way more at each game. I donā€™t know what their strategy was, but I know they were biased against us. One of them walked by and said ā€œgreat inningā€ to a USC fan after USC scored a couple runs. Seemed pretty messed up to me.

I also wanted to elaborate on the USC fans. These people down there really care about their baseball and it is crazy. They are way crazier than we are for basketball. Their older alumni actually stand up and yell. It is actually mostly the older guys who yell relentlessly. It is an amazing thing to see. I think it is about 35/65 for cool USC fans to bad ones. A lot of their guys are annoying and out of line with their comments. But USC also has a huge problem with Southern Douche Bags. These are a horrible breed of people who think they are the coolest thing to walk the face of the earth and generally [I]know[/I] they are right about everything. It makes their comments at games and all around activity that much worse. After USC beat us for the second time, I had someone walk by and straight up mock my Niner Nation shirt. Not, ā€œgood gameā€ or anything but instead she made fun of my shirt. They have a lot of people with that mentality, but they also have a lot of classy fans. That is one thing that makes me feel better about us. We donā€™t have the greatest sports in the world, but atleast we dont have a bunch of asshole fans.

In the end it was a kick ass trip and a lot of fun to go watch. I ended up only spending $27 on tickets because people gave me money to the games they couldnā€™t watch. It was fun (while we were winning) to be the only Charlotte fan in a sea of garnet at the second USC game. Iā€™ve def found a new love of college baseball and am ready for next season. Congratulations on an awesome season, Niners, and thank you seniors!
:clap::49ers::clap:

Any of you other guys who were there got an stories?

umm your photobucket is set on private no one can view it.

umm your photobucket is set on private no one can view it.
Fixed, thx. Does it work now?

[QUOTE=49or bust;242274]I sat with Over40 and UNCCTF and also met Ninerballin. All these very attractive women kept coming up to Over40 and giving him their phone number.[/QUOTE]
Iā€™m not so sure you should have included that last line.

[QUOTE=49or bust;242274]
Now I have to get back to the USC cops. They were talking to our fans way more at each game. I donā€™t know what their strategy was, but I know they were biased against us. One of them walked by and said ā€œgreat inningā€ to a USC fan after USC scored a couple runs. Seemed pretty messed up to me.

I also wanted to elaborate on the USC fans. These people down there really care about their baseball and it is crazy. They are way crazier than we are for basketball. Their older alumni actually stand up and yell. It is actually mostly the older guys who yell relentlessly. It is an amazing thing to see. I think it is about 35/65 for cool USC fans to bad ones. A lot of their guys are annoying and out of line with their comments. But USC also has a huge problem with Southern Douche Bags. These are a horrible breed of people who think they are the coolest thing to walk the face of the earth and generally [I]know[/I] they are right about everything. It makes their comments at games and all around activity that much worse. After USC beat us for the second time, I had someone walk by and straight up mock my Niner Nation shirt. Not, ā€œgood gameā€ or anything but instead she made fun of my shirt. They have a lot of people with that mentality, but they also have a lot of classy fans. That is one thing that makes me feel better about us. We donā€™t have the greatest sports in the world, but atleast we dont have a bunch of asshole fans.

[/QUOTE]

Let us not forget that the Gameycock is a rare bird. That rare bird that is both a former ACC member (basketball arrogance) and current SEC member (football arrogance). So it is only natural that in the one sport they regularly do well in (baseball) they are doublely arrogant.

This is a program which packs an 80,000 seat stadium to watch a football team go 6-6. The same program which considers NIT Championships to put them on the same level as NCAA elite 8 programs. These people live in a state of delusion about their other major sports, so lets not fault them over their one real sport.

In all honesty, So. Car may have some of the best fans in all college sports, they donā€™t even have to be good to sell tickets! Judy would kill for fans like that.

Let us not forget that the Gameycock is a rare bird. That rare bird that is both a former ACC member (basketball arrogance) and current SEC member (football arrogance). So it is only natural that in the one sport they regularly do well in (baseball) they are doublely arrogant.

This is a program which packs an 80,000 seat stadium to watch a football team go 6-6. The same program which considers NIT Championships to put them on the same level as NCAA elite 8 programs. These people live in a state of delusion about their other major sports, so lets not fault them over their one real sport.

In all honesty, So. Car may have some of the best fans in all college sports, they donā€™t even have to be good to sell tickets! Judy would kill for fans like that.

please tell me what else is there to do in the arm pit of the south?

[QUOTE=the daxified one;242287]please tell me what else is there to do in the arm pit of the south?[/QUOTE]

Be careful here, we are only 90 miles away from that arm pit! Lets hope weā€™re the beautiful bosom and not the fleshy love handle. All I know is I hope we can get 40,000 people to want to show up and donate to 49ers Football the way half the state of SC does for the Gamecocks.

please tell me what else is there to do in the arm pit of the south?
I'd rather live in a 3rd world country than South Carolina.
I'd rather live in a 3rd world country than South Carolina.
Haha well actually... South Carolina is a third world country. I opted not to include this, but SC and Columbia are both pretty much dumps. The whole place is very trashy. And the grossest thing is that there are cockroaches all over the place. On the way to my car after the 2nd NC State game, a huge cockroach crossed the sidewalk in front of me. I guess that is bad luck since we lost the next day. At the 2nd USC game, another huge cockroach ran out and then down the steps onto the baseball field. Very gross. I see those damn things running about every time I go down there.

Also, you know how 3rd world countries have people with all these crazy ailments that we donā€™t see here anymore? I swear all the stuff that is about to be wiped out of North America makes its last stand in SC. I even think theyā€™ve got stuff the rest of the world has never seen. During the second USC game, I KID YOU NOT, there was a man behind me who was making pig noises! Every minute or so he would make a little oink noise. It was really getting on my nerves. Luckily he didnā€™t return after the rain delay.

Donā€™t get me wrong, SC does have its nice parts. I mostly like it because it is different. Lots of NC isnā€™t really that southern so its interesting to go to SC and see the real South, where everything is still backwards. We couldnā€™t even buy beer on Sunday! I almost thought it was kinda cute. ā€˜These crazy rednecks making their crazy laws to push their values on me.ā€™ I went to the State Museum and there was an exhibit with the CONFEDERATE flags which had been in the State Senate and State House and flew atop the capitol until 2000. You canā€™t make this stuff up folks. Only in the deep South.

South Carolina thinks (wishes) it is still 1860, for all the obvious reasons.

[QUOTE=eason49;242289]Iā€™d rather live in a 3rd world country than South Carolina.[/QUOTE]

f off

Fort Mill is one of the greatest suberbs in Charlotte.

Charleston, Hilton Head, and Greeenville are not bad either.

Where do live meatgauger? Beverly Hills?

This is a program which packs an 80,000 seat stadium to watch a football team go 6-6.
I think they sold out 80K seats for a team that lost 31 straight games, and that was only like 6 years ago.

There are some good places in South Carolina, there are also plenty of dumps in North Carolina (East of I-95).

[QUOTE=49or bust;242290]. We couldnā€™t even buy beer on Sunday! I almost thought it was kinda cute. ā€˜These crazy rednecks making their crazy laws to push their values on me.ā€™ I went to the State Museum and there was an exhibit with the CONFEDERATE flags which had been in the State Senate and State House and flew atop the capitol until [U]2000[/U]. You canā€™t make this stuff up folks. Only in the deep South.[/QUOTE]

I hate the confederate flag, but you are blind if you donā€™t think half of Lincoln County, Iredell County, insert any NC county besdies Meck- donā€™t believe in the confederate flag as much or more as some of the SC people.

This notion there are not rednecks in NC is cracking me up. Drive to Fayetteville, Greensboro, Rockingham, or Albermarle one day and it will feel just like Columbia.

I agree on the beer, all the blue laws are getting re-legislated here in York County. We will be buying beer on Sunday soon.

Drive to Fayetteville

Nah, I am telling you, you donā€™t wanna do thatā€¦

" I swear all the stuff that is about to be wiped out of North America makes its last stand in SC."

Bust, you are the f-ing MAN. I donā€™t even really hate South Carolina as a state, but that was hilarious.

[QUOTE=metro;242296]I hate the confederate flag, but you are blind if you donā€™t think half of Lincoln County, Iredell County, insert any NC county besdies Meck- donā€™t believe in the confederate flag as much or more as some of the SC people.

This notion there are not rednecks in NC is cracking me up. Drive to Fayetteville, Greensboro, Rockingham, or Albermarle one day and it will feel just like Columbia.

I agree on the beer, all the blue laws are getting re-legislated here in York County. We will be buying beer on Sunday soon.[/QUOTE]

If you have only lived around Charlotte, you do not really know what North Carolina is all about. Eastern NC is another world compared to Charlotte.

Everything was going okay, until our relief pitcher through the wrong pitch to the wrong guy. All tournament long I had heard that #50 Disher was due up and this turned out to be his time. I'm pretty sure all we needed was one out, bases were loaded, and Disher came up and knocked out a grand slam. I think this is what really did us in.

If you recall, their crusher (Smoak) was up just before Disher and he went to 3-2 and eventually walked to load the bases on some very VERY questionable calls. Had that ump called strikes more consistently, Smoak would have been struck out looking and we would have gotten out of that inning.

You know for someone who is SC born and bred (Greenville, now Columbia), some of you are making some ignorant comments in regard to SC. Armpit of the south, Dax?? Get real. There are many nice places to visit in SC. Greenville, for one, is a really nice city. Charleston is the best small town in the Carolinaā€™s. Hilton Head (yes itā€™s overcrowded with tourists) is a very nice beach. Beaufort is also a great town to visit and live.

[QUOTE=allie49er;242369]You know for someone who is SC born and bred (Greenville, now Columbia), some of you are making some ignorant comments in regard to SC. Armpit of the south, Dax?? Get real. There are many nice places to visit in SC. Greenville, for one, is a really nice city. Charleston is the best small town in the Carolinaā€™s. Hilton Head (yes itā€™s overcrowded with tourists) is a very nice beach. Beaufort is also a great town to visit and live.[/QUOTE]

if you live in NC, all I have to say is Gastonia- redneck/trailer park capital of the universe

of course University City is not far behind

Another perfect example would be Shelby. If any of you know a kid named Nelson that went to Charlotte, you will know what I mean.