conference affiliation due to football

Look at the thread on the CUSA board. Interesting stuff…

http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=327385

it looks like memphis fans are still assholes. i liked this quote from the umass fan:

As long as you’re picking up FCS programs, got any room for a UMass-Temple combo in these expansion plans? Big markets, good basketball and good academics. Ain’t any harder to get to than Marshall. The Big East is just going to keep stringing us along, we need to ally with the strongest non-BCS programs in the East. Throw in Charlotte and Georgia St. too, grab every major market on the eastern seaboard.

I think ECU fans have an inflated view of their importance.

I’d rather stay in the A-10 than join CUSA now.
I’d love to lose Fordhasm and Bonnie as well.

Tintin

[QUOTE=LakeNorman49er;360149]it looks like memphis fans are still assholes.[/QUOTE]

Yep

[QUOTE]8BC now gets to be 12BC. [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]I love that since their departure from CUSA, they’ve gone from 6BC to 8bc(thanks Davidson). Couldn’t happen to a nicer bunch of fans. [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=VA49er;360163]Yep[/QUOTE]

You know, on occasion I have pulled for the Memphis Tigers in football games when they play BCS schools but their sh1tty fans make it hard to do so.

I’d root for Carolina before I’d root for Memphis

Tintin

Tell those Memphidiots “On Campus Stadium”

Memphis Fans = Sore Losers

Tell those Memphidiots "On Campus Stadium"
I remember the day I coined that phrase

[SIZE=5]Southern Conference[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=CunningRunt;360748][SIZE=5]Southern Conference[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

SoCon will not take us as football-only. SoCon’s 1 and only NCAA Tourney bid will hurt our basketball program.

THUS

We will not be joining the SoCon.

(See the above for Big South Conference as well)

I'd love to lose Fordhasm and Bonnie as well.

Tintin

Come on now guys. You’re going to get on my case hard for saying this and not Tintin’s? Did me making a thread about it really make it that much worse? I don’t think so.

And it’s still true.

i liked this quote from the umass fan:
Thanks. I keep trying, but it's impossible to get people thinking outside the box. Everyone wants tightly compacted conferences these days. If that was a good idea, why is the Big East more successful than the MAC? You need to spread out, and pick up big markets. Athletic programs can be improved. Locations can't. Travel costs are still a very small part of overall expenses.

I think UMass is doomed to conference hell. Damn Catholic schools have us imprisoned. Charlotte is making the right decision with football. You’re fortunate that you have so many conference options. It’s a short discussion for us.

[QUOTE=LastMinuteman;360913]Thanks. I keep trying, but it’s impossible to get people thinking outside the box. Everyone wants tightly compacted conferences these days. If that was a good idea, why is the Big East more successful than the MAC? You need to spread out, and pick up big markets. Athletic programs can be improved. Locations can’t. Travel costs are still a very small part of overall expenses.

I think UMass is doomed to conference hell. Damn Catholic schools have us imprisoned. Charlotte is making the right decision with football. You’re fortunate that you have so many conference options. It’s a short discussion for us.[/QUOTE]

If UMass moved to FBS then they would be a natural for the BE.

[QUOTE=jandrade;360148]Look at the thread on the CUSA board. Interesting stuff…

http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=327385[/QUOTE]

I read the posts on there again. Some of the new CUSA schools fans act like THEY founded CUSA. Some even refered to UNC[B][COLOR=Green][SIZE=7]C[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B] as a “newbie”. Ignant Fools!

And wow, is there one decent Menpiss fan in the world who’s not a complete jacka55?

If UMass moved to FBS then they would be a natural for the BE.
You'd think so, but the BE would need to split first and either way they're not taking anyone directly from FCS (excluding UConn and Villanova). The MAC is a no-go according to our AD, so that ends our FBS options. We're stuck, unless a bunch of other eastern FCS programs want to move up at the same time as us (hint-hint).

[QUOTE=LastMinuteman;360924]You’d think so, but the BE would need to split first and either way they’re not taking anyone directly from FCS (excluding UConn and Villanova). The MAC is a no-go according to our AD, so that ends our FBS options. We’re stuck, unless a bunch of other eastern FCS programs want to move up at the same time as us (hint-hint).[/QUOTE]

I had heard it was stadium issues and not conference that was the problem. If you guys moved up to FBS you would find a conference. MAC takes football onlies like a crackhead smokes rocks.

We're stuck, unless a bunch of other eastern FCS programs want to move up at the same time as us (hint-hint).
I'm all for moving to a different conference with you. I like your school (been there or by there quite a few times.... including our game against you last year). I like your fans too. They seem to know their basketball. [B]But you need to get some watering holes around that campus before you start expecting us to show up there for football games.[/B] There are not that many in that area, unless I looked in all the wrong places.

Yeah, I’d hit the tailgating scene for football games. Rafter’s and The Hangar are the best pub options but they’re both on the same street as the football stadium and packed on gamedays.

Re: stadium issues, I wouldn’t say that’s what’s stopping us from going to the MAC. Almost all MAC stadiums are between 24k to 30k capacity. Our stadium seats 17k, but I’m pretty sure we could get it to 25k just by filling in the north and south ends of the stadium. The thing is, none of the MAC programs actually average more than 20k attendance, and only 4 average more than 17k, so there isn’t much enthusiasm here to pour millions of dollars into stadium upgrades we don’t really need to play MAC football. Up until Ball State’s recent run, I’d have said it was almost a lateral move from where we are in the top conference of FCS. Plus I’m not sure we could get football-only status. Even if we could, once we’re in FBS they could change their minds and then we’d be screwed like Temple may be in 2010, with nowhere else to go.

We need a conference at least on the MW/CUSA level. If the A10 wasn’t so weighed down with small timers, we’d have the core of that with UMass, Temple and Charlotte. Grab a couple more between New York and Miami and we could get by playing each other twice a season if we had to. But we’d have to cut other members loose, and I don’t think the A10 has it in them to do it, especially while we’re outnumbered by the Catholics.