conference affiliation due to football

[QUOTE=X-49er;366207]Oh ye of little faith. I agree that Obama won’t have much influence, I just think Texas/USC/Alabama or Florida loser will start stirring the pot enough to make it happen. If enough teams continue to get screwed out a shot at the title, they will scream for change. It’s the worst system in ALL of sport at determining a “champion”. The President’s claiming that a playoff will interfere with exams is BS. I-AA has a playoff, and they work it just fine. The playoff can happen, and so can the meaningless bowl games during the playoffs. More money for everyone, because the playoffs will be a cash cow. They are running out of bogus excuses, and the internal heat is starting to build also.[/QUOTE]

All four of those schools are from conferences that have already given tacit support to the idea of a playoff. The Big 10 and Pac 10 have said NO, end of story, no playoffs till BOTH those conferences say yes, and they won’t, not in the current environment of college football.

[QUOTE=49RFootballNow;366309]All four of those schools are from conferences that have already given tacit support to the idea of a playoff. The Big 10 and Pac 10 have said NO, end of story, no playoffs till BOTH those conferences say yes, and they won’t, not in the current environment of college football.[/QUOTE]

Ask Penn St. if they support a playoff right now, and you can probably ask USC also after next Saturday. When the schools within those conferences finally say “enough”, it will happen. The talking heads on TV that like the system are ridiculous. Oregon State would probably like a playoff, also (provided they get their injured RB back). The Rose Bowl folks are the main reason it’s happening. Though their game is meaningless as it is now, it will be even more meaningless with a playoff. They are stuck in the 1950’s. If the other four BCS conferences along with the NCAA say it’s time for a playoff, then they should tell those two conferences that they can either jump on the playoff wagon or continue to think the Rose Bowl means something. It’s that simple. It won’t be easy to overcome, but it is simple.

[QUOTE=X-49er;366311]Ask Penn St. if they support a playoff right now, and you can probably ask USC also after next Saturday. When the schools within those conferences finally say “enough”, it will happen. The talking heads on TV that like the system are ridiculous. Oregon State would probably like a playoff, also (provided they get their injured RB back). The Rose Bowl folks are the main reason it’s happening. Though their game is meaningless as it is now, it will be even more meaningless with a playoff. They are stuck in the 1950’s. If the other four BCS conferences along with the NCAA say it’s time for a playoff, then they should tell those two conferences that they can either jump on the playoff wagon or continue to think the Rose Bowl means something. It’s that simple. It won’t be easy to overcome, but it is simple.[/QUOTE]

Championship games rotate between Miami, New Orleans, Pasadena, and Phoenix. National semifinal sites rotate between Orlando, Tampa, Atlanta, Jacksonville, Nashville, El Paso, San Diego, and San Antonio. First and second rds are at the higher seed’s home stadium… and teams that don’t make the playoffs can go to the bowl games that haven’t been replaced by playoff games.

[QUOTE=X-49er;366311]Ask Penn St. if they support a playoff right now, and you can probably ask USC also after next Saturday. When the schools within those conferences finally say “enough”, it will happen. The talking heads on TV that like the system are ridiculous. Oregon State would probably like a playoff, also (provided they get their injured RB back). The Rose Bowl folks are the main reason it’s happening. Though their game is meaningless as it is now, it will be even more meaningless with a playoff. They are stuck in the 1950’s. If the other four BCS conferences along with the NCAA say it’s time for a playoff, then they should tell those two conferences that they can either jump on the playoff wagon or continue to think the Rose Bowl means something. It’s that simple. It won’t be easy to overcome, but it is simple.[/QUOTE]

Clearly we would all like a playoff but without the Big 10, Pac 10 and their mutual Rose Bowl it won’t happen. The Pac 10 is vehemently against conference championship games, much less a national championship. Unless you always give the national championship game to the Rose they will not bite.

There’s a chance that CAA Football will break up and the A10 will restart its FCS football conference. To be frank, UMass probably needs Charlotte’s help to get the new conference back under the A10 banner. America East has its own plan to grab the CAA breakaways. With Charlotte’s help we may be able to pressure Richmond into playing with a mostly northern group, and with Richmond we might be able to get Villanova as an affiliate. That sets us up pretty well for an AQ regardless of whether we get Fordham to step up and be the 6th member or bring in the UNH-Maine combo for 7 (or all three for 8). Richmond, Nova, UNH and Maine all made the playoffs this year, while UMass made it the previous two years and missed it by 1 game this year. Pretty stacked FCS conference. Instant credibility for Charlotte if you succeed there, and it should be easier for you to recruit and close the gap on App St. You help us, we help you. I don’t want UMass to end up in the America East, even if it’s just for football.

[QUOTE=LastMinuteman;366686]There’s a chance that CAA Football will break up and the A10 will restart its FCS football conference. To be frank, UMass probably needs Charlotte’s help to get the new conference back under the A10 banner. America East has its own plan to grab the CAA breakaways. With Charlotte’s help we may be able to pressure Richmond into playing with a mostly northern group, and with Richmond we might be able to get Villanova as an affiliate. That sets us up pretty well for an AQ regardless of whether we get Fordham to step up and be the 6th member or bring in the UNH-Maine combo for 7 (or all three for 8). Richmond, Nova, UNH and Maine all made the playoffs this year, while UMass made it the previous two years and missed it by 1 game this year. Pretty stacked FCS conference. Instant credibility for Charlotte if you succeed there, and it should be easier for you to recruit and close the gap on App St. You help us, we help you. I don’t want UMass to end up in the America East, even if it’s just for football.[/QUOTE]

A reformed 9 team A-10 would be good BUT I would want Coastal Carolina included, and maybe Georgia State or Georgia Southern. I don’t want Charlotte being the southern most outpost of any conference.

There's a chance that CAA Football will break up and the A10 will restart its FCS football conference. To be frank, UMass probably needs Charlotte's help to get the new conference back under the A10 banner. America East has its own plan to grab the CAA breakaways. With Charlotte's help we may be able to pressure Richmond into playing with a mostly northern group, and with Richmond we might be able to get Villanova as an affiliate. That sets us up pretty well for an AQ regardless of whether we get Fordham to step up and be the 6th member or bring in the UNH-Maine combo for 7 (or all three for 8). Richmond, Nova, UNH and Maine all made the playoffs this year, while UMass made it the previous two years and missed it by 1 game this year. Pretty stacked FCS conference. Instant credibility for Charlotte if you succeed there, and it should be easier for you to recruit and close the gap on App St. You help us, we help you. I don't want UMass to end up in the America East, even if it's just for football.
I like that idea. That would be a pretty stout conference.
A reformed 9 team A-10 would be good BUT I would want Coastal Carolina included, and maybe Georgia State or Georgia Southern. I don't want Charlotte being the southern most outpost of any conference.
Good point.

I think Umass could be our partner from the A10 like SLU was from CUSA.

Not saying it would happen, but I would ideally like to see…

Charlotte
Umass
Temple
Richmond
App St
Georgia St
Old Dominion(or Marshall)
ECU
Memphis
UCF
FIU
UAB

I know all these teams don’t play on the same level, but for a conference looking for a good foot print along the Atlantic these schools seem like they would work great.
You have Florida covered all the way down to Miami, and you have the south covered with Memphis, UAB, and Georgia St. and then the north with Umass and Temple…and then everywhere in-between.

I don’t know about all the other sports, but that is a strong football conference with the hopes of us, ODU, and Georgia St contributing.

This is a good thread, because reality is starting to set in for everyone. We are seeing where this is all headed. It basically starts all over again, basically where we were in the late 80’s with bball.

• What conference we join will be a 100% football decision (has to be).

• It will boil down to the basics, which conference, whom is willing to take us has the best tv contract. So our football team can be on TV. (Just like our bball decisions in the late 80’s).

• We will not have many choices on which conference to join. Maybe only one. It most likely will be a conference like the Sun Belt. Our bball will have to follow the football decision.

• The first conference we start in will only be a temporary move 5 to 10 yrs, until we can work our way up.

• In that same time frame you will have to have a d1 football program to even compete in D1 bball. There may 2 or 3 rare exceptions to this. But that is why ODU, GA state, others… are moving so quickly to start football programs.

This is why we are rushing to start football, we need to start at some point. We missed out in the late 90’s on adding football in CUSA and playing on ESPN on thursday nights. It could take a couple of decades to get back to that type of opportunity as we had in the late 90’s.

Charlotte
Umass
Temple
Richmond
App St
Georgia St
ECU
Memphis
UCF
FIU
UAB

I know all these teams don’t play on the same level, but for a conference looking for a good foot print along the Atlantic these schools seem like they would work great.
You have Florida covered all the way down to Miami, and you have the south covered with Memphis, UAB, and Georgia St. and then the north with Umass and Temple…and then everywhere in-between.

I don’t know about all the other sports, but that is a strong football conference with the hopes of us, ODU, and Georgia St contributing.

This is very similar to a conference I suggested sometime last year, (which i got blasted for). These sorts of conferences are becoming more and more intriguing to these like-minded institutions. Many of your fans on here are holding out hope that the big east will come calling, but that is yet to be seen, and if they don’t, this would be the best case scenario for UNCC. Due to the huge increases in travel costs, and probably shrinking budgets in the next couple of years, many conferences are going to be looking at trimming fat, or more to the point, making non-revenue sports travel less. This means there will be several opportunities for teams to move around in conf. re-alignment. Don’t expect anything to happen until 2012 (when the moratorium ends). I am under the impression football, if started, won’t happen until 2013 at the earliest? This would be a great conference, but there are a few things I would like to point out:

1. There is a pretty decent chance that one of these: Memphis, ECU, UCF, UNCC, maybe Temple, outside shot at UMass gets picked up by the Big Easy. Of course, Big Easy could do nothing.
  2. Richmond is a no-go. They are building an on-campus stadium that seats only 9k, they have absolutely no intention of moving up to FBS.
  3. Personally, I’d replace UR with JMU, who has plans to upgrade the stadium to 43k. But there are probably several alternatives that are worthy
  4. As an ASU fan, I’d fight to get Marshall in the mix, as an old rival, and someone who could potentially become a force again in FBS (only 2 FBS teams in WV).

If you look at this conference, in football, UNCC has a guaranteed sellout anytime ASU and ECU come to Charlotte, probably Memphis and UCF too b/c of name recognition, I also think you guys would be able to develop quick rivalries with ODU and Ga. State, as they are a very similar universities. Its all conjecture, and who knows whats going on up top, but a conference shakedown is more than likely come 2012, and with ASU avg. more than any MAC school, and Sunbelt school, and most of CUSA in reg. season this year, along with our facility upgrades, I’d bet a big chunk of change we are planning to move up with the shakedown.

This is very similar to a conference I suggested sometime last year, (which i got blasted for). These sorts of conferences are becoming more and more intriguing to these like-minded institutions. Many of your fans on here are holding out hope that the big east will come calling, but that is yet to be seen, and if they don't, this would be the best case scenario for [B]Charlotte[/B]. Due to the huge increases in travel costs, and probably shrinking budgets in the next couple of years, many conferences are going to be looking at trimming fat, or more to the point, making non-revenue sports travel less. This means there will be several opportunities for teams to move around in conf. re-alignment. Don't expect anything to happen until 2012 (when the moratorium ends). I am under the impression football, if started, won't happen until 2013 at the earliest? This would be a great conference, but there are a few things I would like to point out:
  1. There is a pretty decent chance that one of these: Memphis, ECU, UCF, Charlotte, maybe Temple, outside shot at UMass gets picked up by the Big Easy. Of course, Big Easy could do nothing.
  2. Richmond is a no-go. They are building an on-campus stadium that seats only 9k, they have absolutely no intention of moving up to FBS.
  3. Personally, I’d replace UR with JMU, who has plans to upgrade the stadium to 43k. But there are probably several alternatives that are worthy
  4. As an ASU fan, I’d fight to get Marshall in the mix, as an old rival, and someone who could potentially become a force again in FBS (only 2 FBS teams in WV).

If you look at this conference, in football, Charlotte has a guaranteed sellout anytime ASU and ECU come to Charlotte, probably Memphis and UCF too b/c of name recognition, I also think you guys would be able to develop quick rivalries with ODU and Ga. State, as they are a very similar universities. Its all conjecture, and who knows whats going on up top, but a conference shakedown is more than likely come 2012, and with ASU avg. more than any MAC school, and Sunbelt school, and most of CUSA in reg. season this year, along with our facility upgrades, I’d bet a big chunk of change we are planning to move up with the shakedown.

fixed

A reformed 9 team A-10 would be good BUT I would want Coastal Carolina included, and maybe Georgia State or Georgia Southern. I don't want Charlotte being the southern most outpost of any conference.
Well, someone has to be southernmost. The problem with bringing in a Coastal Carolina or Georgia State is that their conferences already sponsor FCS football. So the only way we could admit them is if they became full members of the A10. I personally wouldn't mind seeing Georgia State here, Atlanta is a good market, but I don't think there's any way we could get these damn no-football schools to admit a 15th member (no offense to recently no-football Charlotte). Especially if they aren't a basketball power and/or Catholic.

If admitting full members is off the table, that means the pool we have to draw from is limited to teams from all-sports conferences that don’t sponsor FCS football. And within that pool, the list of teams south of Charlotte is a very short list. There’s only two: Savannah State, which no conference will touch with a ten foot pole, and Jacksonville U. Jax actually has a good program, they won their conference and are going to the Gridiron Classic (FCS’s only bowl game). But they’re non-scholarship, and are a private school with an enrollment of only 3000. Travel isn’t a problem, they’re already in the most travel-heavy conference, but I don’t think we could convince them to go full scholarship. 63 scholarships cost a hell of a lot more for a small private school than 5 or 6 airplane trips.

Unfortunately, almost all of the unaffiliated FCS programs are in the Northeast, California or the Dakotas. Within North Carolina there’s one more: Campbell. Do you want them in your football conference? There’s also North Carolina Central, but I think they’re on their way to the MEAC.

Moving north up the coast from Charlotte, what’s left is Richmond, Georgetown, Villanova, Fordham, UMass, URI and the America East quartet. G’town isn’t realistic because they won’t spend a dime on their football program, but the rest are both realistic and good football programs. It’s not perfect, but as long as you’re at the FCS level, a “New A10” is probably the best Charlotte can hope for.

If we were to form a brand-spanking-new conference I would want it to be one that planned to upgrade (as an entire conference) from FCS to FBS. That would limit it to schools That are dedicated to football.

We seriously need more southern teams. I don’t like this many cold-weather teams unless it’s a BCS conference. No-BCS, no Yankees. LOL.

Charlotte
Umass
Temple
Richmond
App St
Georgia St
ECU
Memphis
UCF
FIU
UAB

I throw conference ideas like this out there on forums every once in awhile. If you got the service academies in, that list would cover every major TV market on the east coast. That’s a true “atlantic coast” conference, right down to having too many North Carolina teams (sure you want both App and ECU?). As someone else noted though, Richmond is out, they won’t move up to FBS. Closest replacement is James Madison, they have a shot. There’s also talk of starting football discussions at VCU once their current anti-football president steps down in 2009. Finally, Buffalo has a decent east coast market and the potential to fill a void if the Bills move to Toronto. Oh and I forgot Delaware, good program but they’re basically the same market as Temple.

What that conference would have over all the other conferences: market presence. Better facilities can be built. Better teams can be coached. You can’t coach market size.

I didn’t realize that about Richmond…

So just for fun, but would be nice if it was reality…

Charlotte
Umass
Temple
Memphis
UAB
Marshall
Old Dominion
ECU
Georgia St
App St
FIU
UCF

I know some people would not like having three NC teams, but both App St and ECU are strong football schools and those schools are at the complete opposite ends of the state.
These schools would have a strong basketball conference as well…plus Olympic sports.
In my opinion that is probably about as strong of a conference we can hope for.

[QUOTE=fotee9er;367325]I didn’t realize that about Richmond…

So just for fun, but would be nice if it was reality…

Charlotte
Umass
Temple
Memphis
UAB
Marshall
Old Dominion
ECU
Georgia St
App St
FIU
UCF

I know some people would not like having three NC teams, but both App St and ECU are strong football schools and those schools are at the complete opposite ends of the state.
These schools would have a strong basketball conference as well…plus Olympic sports.
In my opinion that is probably about as strong of a conference we can hope for.[/QUOTE]

What? You want FIU over FAU?

If the 4 out of 6 BCS conferences, ND, & the non-BCS conferences agree to a playoff, the Big 11 & Pac 10 will get on board to avoid being shut out.

[QUOTE=fotee9er;367325]In my opinion that is probably about as strong of a conference we can hope for.[/QUOTE]i can hope for much more.

[QUOTE=stonecoldken;367534]If the 4 out of 6 BCS conferences, ND, & the non-BCS conferences agree to a playoff, the Big 11 & Pac 10 will get on board to avoid being shut out.[/QUOTE]have the playoffs anyway. just omit teams from those 2 conferences and see how long they hold out.

[QUOTE=stonecoldken;367534]If the 4 out of 6 BCS conferences, ND, & the non-BCS conferences agree to a playoff, the Big 11 & Pac 10 will get on board to avoid being shut out.[/QUOTE]

Lovely theory, too bad EVERY sports writer and ESPN talking head would beat the h377 out of you with bar soap in socks for saying this.

I will now premonition quote from a future where the Big 10, Pac 10 and the Rose Bowl are OUT of the playoffs:

[I]“No national championship is legitimate without the Big 10, Pac 10 and the Rose Bowl. This so called “playoff” is a farce and worse then the good ole BCS.”[/I]