Conference Realignment (Part 1)

That just gives us more time to get our ducks in a row. Even better.

We have all the crap other schools want. We just need to not suck.

2 Likes

We need to expand to 30-35k.

https://www.espncharlotte.net/the-wake-up-call-dan-wolken-healy-has-the-intangibles-of-other-successful-coaches/

First half about AAC expansion.

Apropos of nothing, app and USM talking attendance crap to us and donā€™t average 22000 a game?

App couldnā€™t have even filled our stadium for their CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP game! They really have no room to talk.

Unintended consequences that could come from this:

Umass and Uconn could very well try to form another league, basketball centric, but FBS football.

IF CUSA gets raided, even by one team, would the sun belt stand pat as they claim they would, or would someone jump ship? Could this cause a regionalization? JMU is a sho-in if thereā€™s any movement at the CUSA or Belt level IMO.

If you start a net-new league, thee is no guaranteed NCAA bid, etc.

UConn isnā€™t looking to start another football-centric league. This move had everything to do with hoops - both menā€™s and womenā€™s. Wonā€™t be surprised if football reverts to FCS or even disappears in Storrs. Ditto the latter in Amherst as well.

It is clear from actual history, and recent reporting, that the path to the AAC is primarily through C-USA. Until someone from the Sun Belt actually makes that leap everybody in that conference would take an offer to join our conference without thinking twice. Anything else that you hear is just nonsense message board talk.

I think you raise a very interesting question though, if C-USA needs to bring someone in do they pick a top Sun Belt program, or go to JMU, a school with more money and multi-sport success than the leading Belt candidates? I think JMUā€™s upside is much higher than Appā€™s. Interesting times.

A newspaper guy on the radio today from Storrs was telling the story that most of the AAC is losing money, but not as bad as UCONN in the AD. I know ECU is losing, but he mention Temple, Tulsa, USF, UCF, and a couple of more. I cannot believe that the whole conference is operating at a loss

https://www.espncharlotte.net/could-unc-charlotte-join-the-aac/

This tells me that the AAC would be better served to backfill in lieu of staying at 11.

1 Like

That would make sense that they could renegotiate. I think they pick up one team, wish it would be us!

Interesting article but Iā€™ve never heard of this publication.

Yeah the name doesnā€™t sound very reputable & even if it is true it doesnā€™t necessarily sound like ESPN was too worried about UConn leaving. I hope Iā€™m wrong & we are the choice but Iā€™m not getting my hopes up too high.

Sports Business Journal is a Charlotte-based publication.

I was referring to the website awfulannouncing.com

There is an embedded link on the ā€œhas the right to renegotiateā€ that links to sports business journal.