Conference Realignment (Part 1)

C-USA also considered adding Tarleton State and Eastern Kentucky. In March, at the conference basketball tournament, C-USA presidents heard formal presentations from both schools, but the league decided not to add either at this time, sources said.

Been wondering about this: Charlotte Men's Soccer Joins American Conference as Affiliate Member for 2022 Campaign - Charlotte Athletics

10 teams means one more conference game if everyone plays each-other

6 Likes

And here I thought we’d get Field Hockey into the AAC first.

And now…they broke!

1 Like
1 Like

Can you imagine the meltdown that will take place with the fans that are left if they make the NCAA Tournament before we do again?

Dude, we lost to friggin Belmont Abbey, there ain’t enough fire around her anymore to light a candle.

2 Likes

I already assume Queens will make the NCAA tournament before we do.

Prompted by Bellarmine MBB missing the 2022 NCAAT - and even the NIT - after winning the ASUN tournament in year two of transition to D-I. Will definitely benefit Queens athletics if changed:

I used to play ball with Queens new head coach Grant Leonard. Believe me, they already believe they’re better than us.

4 Likes

So what do you all think about the 16 x 5 model? With the Memphis stadium news thought it would be fun to bring this back up.

Would mean PAC needs 4
Big 10 needs 2
Big 12 needs 4
SEC needs 0
ACC needs 1 or none if they convince ND to join

Basically 10 spots open. The PAC folks have a challenge with geography. They could grab Boise and CSU. Maybe SDSU? Air Force? Do they look at west side of Big 12?

Big 10 - attempt to woo ND? WVU? Iowa State?

Big 12 - Memphis, SMU at top of the list. Might need more of Big 10 or PAC steals some.

Feel pretty good putting us up against the rest of AAC as at least getting a fair shot, assuming we get our facilities in order.

Or worst case Big 12 dissolves and it becomes P4 x 16.

2 Likes

I would bet 4x16

I always felt that Notre Dame belongs in the Big 10 conference, and BYU should be in the PAC-12

I feel pretty confident the pac 12 will take 4 from the big 12. with those four being houston, tcu, oklahoma state and one of the kansas schools. the Big 10 will likely take two from the acc meaning the acc will need at least 3. the big twelve depending on who gets raided might have a large number of schools they will need to backfill with to get to 16. Also while I think smu has a great shot of making the big twelve it might still depend on how many texas schools the big twelve loses to the other conferences.

clt says Notre Dame cares about academics, so big ten is best fit

The nightmare scenario is that the PAC 12 raids Texas schools in the Big 12 and they backfill with AAC Texas schools plus Memphis and maybe Colorado State.

I think more likely is that SDSU, BYU, and two of Colorado State / Boise State / Air Force join PAC 12. SDSU is going to look really appealing when their new stadium opens.

We have so much work to do to be in this discussion… we would look like that horse that won the Kentucky Derby.

Also, in state rivals for Indiana and Purdue, and Michigan is a traditional rival for ND

1 Like