Conference Realignment (Part 1)

Minute 6:45, “what’s the point”.

Honestly, I wonder about the viability of an FBS super league within the current FBS structure.

What I mean, for instance, is a 32 (arbitrary #) team Super League that plays for a Super League NC, while being allowed to play a limited # of games against non Superleague FBS D1 programs (no FCS, etc). This would feature an expanded playoff (6-8 teams), and here is the kicker, feature a RELEGATION system… Where you can get kicked out of the Super League, back into the FBS pool.

FBS programs would be free to schedule 1 FCS game per year, would play for conference championships, and spots in bowl games (some perhaps against Super League teams), and best of all, be able to play for promotion to the Superleague (no more than 1-2 programs per year in that scenario).

I don’t love this idea at all, but the correct fix for college football - the most equitable and sane one, is never going to happen. Trying to find something the big boys might go for.

Also, relegation makes zero sense in a classic college football setting. The rosters and coaches change too much year over year. However, with the basic free agency we have today, it might be viable in a totally mercenary form. Again, I hate it, but it’s an option. And the relegation aspect would keep the bottom feeders in the super league still competing through the end of the season, and give some kind of reward to the next level programs for a season like Cincy just had.

Also relegation implies that the teams below you have to move things around as far as schedules and travel to accommodate you.

That is a complete non starter for CFB in my opinion

Comes down to money…if there is more money in the system for everyone, watch things suddenly become very possible…

These ideas keep getting worse and worse.

Why don’t we just divide D1 football into FBS, FCS 1 and FCS 2 and get it over with.

The entire structure is such a sham with the current imbalances in revenue.

1 Like

All these teams want to act like pro programs - They shouldn’t be allowed to keep the name of the school if they’re going to be pro. People forget that all these guys are stars because they go to the same school I went to. I think a lot of people will feel that way. They’re trying to appropriate a fan base, but if the kids aren’t really students anymore, what’s the point?

2 Likes

Read an article that said the SEC is considering starting their own playoffs tourney in football.

I think this is important distinction

If the NFL just nutted up and made a minor league system, this wouldn’t be an issue.

1 Like

If the mega college football programs are moving to a professional model will paid player still only have four years of eligibility?

I mean normal college students can stay in school for as long as they want. That’s been the argument for all this right?

That would require money and effort for a much smaller ROI…

Why would they bother?

https://mobile.twitter.com/CBBonFOX/status/1529198865621995520

2 Likes

Announcement coming.

3 Likes

The departing schools owe $18 million each over 14 years. That’s a long time. I’m not sure how the split with Navy and the Shockers works but if it is strictly football the remaining eight schools would each get $6.75 million each or roughly $482K each year for 14 years.