Conference Realignment (Part 1)

Crepea is spot on in his assessment.

This seems like the most likely scenario, a new subdivision for football only. If that is ultimately what happens, I definitely hope that the schools in the 2nd division finally do not agree to play the pay games anymore.

The guy in Oregon encapsulates what bothers the most about these realignments. He said that a new subdivision wouldn’t bother him and that he thinks it’s actually a better scenario. When pressed on that answer by the Baylor guy on whether he would feel that way if Oregon is left out, he said he would be mad, but he’s not worried about that because there’s no way Oregon will be left out.

It’s the perfect example of there definitely being a mindset that the bigger schools no longer want to share the revenue with all of D1. That don’t want to allow the Cincinnati’s , Louisvilles, Baylors, Boise, Gonzagas, people currently excelling at the same level as the traditional state schools, to take what has traditionally been “their” money.

1 Like

I think his assessment about a new subdvision is realistic. But I disagree with his assessment on why it should happen. If a perennial bottom finisher wants to take their chances of becoming a top finisher, what right does Oregon have to say they shouldn’t be allowed to?

1 Like

I figured that video would trigger some discussion.

This is what pissed me off about the video and the condescending attitudes that permeate the P5 fanbases. They’re such ridiculous hypocrites. We should be okay with being relegated because it’s “better”, according to them, but if it was their school that wouldn’t be okay.

That dork can pound sand.

Zero credibility. Zero.

3 Likes

I’m really starting to hate Oregon. Without the Nike dude they are nothing. I hope Phil Knight does something stupid & loses all of his money. Probably not even possible but I would like to see Oregon try to survive without him.

1 Like

Yeah I’m certainly not trying to defend the Oregons of college football by agreeing with their homer sports writer. But, it doesn’t matter what we like in this pending scenario. The football powers are dead set on destroying the current organization of the college game as we know it, whether the G5 like it or not.

If there is a split I hope its a very select few top programs, like maybe 20-30, that break off to do their own championship. The smaller the number the better off we will be. Let everyone else have their own playoff. I just hope it doesn’t affect basketball because March Madness needs to be left alone.

It really is the top 20/30 that are driving all this. They have wrecked an entire system. Let them go and none of the rest of us should ever play them. Force them to deal with their choice and for some to have losing records yearly.

3 Likes

Yeah I am in full agreement on the breakup sentiment. Let the top 20 or so GTFO and the rest of us can return to playing college football.

3 Likes

Would love to see the top 30-40 split off but that’s not going to happen. All the bottom teams in the P5 conferences have a lot of influence and are not going to allow themselves to be left behind.

You think Wake Forest and Oregon State and such have a lot of influence?

1 Like

Yeah the bottom 2/3 of the P5 are just riding coat tails.

They are riding coat tails but the conference structures allow them to have a lot of influence. The top members of each conference are going to have to be extremely cut throat to leave the lower level teams. There are traditions, human relationships, and conference contractual relationships involved here. Good luck unraveling that.

All of that is true - but what all of this has shown thus far is that when it comes to making more money they will throw out all relationships and traditions to make a buck. The key to your point is the Bama and Michigan’s havent had to make those decisions because they have been on the winning side of alignment changes. Would the SEC and B10 power schools be willing to kick long time lower end conference partners out?

Wake or or Washington State or Kansas or Vandy or Illinois have little to say in how this all shakes out. The top power schools in each league hold the future of the league in their hands. Thats why the B12 and the PAC are so unstable now and why the Wakes of the ACC hope to God the GoR holds that league together. All it takes is the league leaders to leave to destabilize those P5 leagues. See Texas and OK and USC and UCLA. If Clemson and FSU and others bolt and decide to fight the GoR there won’t be a thing Wake can do.

The only teams that have a realistic shot at winning a national championship this upcoming season are: Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, and Texas A&M. There are another handful of schools that have an outside shot at winning the national championship if everything goes perfect and they luck into an amazing QB like Joe Burrow or Cam Newton but that’s it. The top 20/30 school model would only work it you institute contracts, salary caps, and a draft. I don’t see the power schools giving up their advantages to level the playing field. If major college football moves entirely to a professional model then it will still be an inferior product to the NFL.

Yeah the weird thing is they keep moving to the pro model in design, but without the pro-model mechanisms for parity and I don’t see the top schools like Bama and UGA agreeing to ever do anything that levels the field. That is what makes the future so weird to try to figure out.

3 Likes

Sinking Days Of Our Lives GIF by Global Entertainment
CFB

it’ll be more than 20-30 teams. They’re essentially already at 32. It seems reasonable that out of some combination of the ACC, Big12 and PAC there will be 2 additional conferences of 16, for a total of 64.

The sad thing is we have a lot of our fans saying the same thing, like when he said Oregon St and Washington State never have and never will compete for a national championship. We have fans say, I know we’re never going to win a national championship, i just want to be good every 4 years. Or fans say I hope they do split off, then we can compete against more comparable teams. When our fans say that we’re essentially supporting the argument of the guy from The Oregonian.

Or said fans could be realistic

1 Like