Conference Realignment (Part 1)

[quote=“919R, post:2059, topic:23766”][quote=“sydh, post:2058, topic:23766”](kind of) off topic–just wrote about the whole name change/no name change deal.
http://49ergreen.com/news/2012/05/07/whats-in-a-name-the-university-of-charlotte-vs-unc-charlotte-question[/quote]

Not bad…until the last line. You don’t want the name change??? >:([/quote]

Not really. I don’t mind either way, but in my opinion there’s a lot of equity already established in the current name. Plus, as I mentioned in the article, they just got done with a campaign to reinforce the name.

It’s probably suited for another thread, but I’m tired of being viewed as the “Diet” to Chapel Hill’s “Pepsi.”

Stand alone.

If the “UNC” were so important, ECU and App State would be rushing to add it.

[quote=“J Felt, post:2062, topic:23766”]It’s probably suited for another thread, but I’m tired of being viewed as the “Diet” to Chapel Hill’s “Pepsi.”

Stand alone.

If the “UNC” were so important, ECU and App State would be rushing to add it.[/quote]

+NC State.

Football is happening, Light Rail is happening, Name Change will happen, Med School will happen. But someone has to fight for it.

I think we are going to get one big achievement per chancellor. WOodward gave us the start of the building campaign which continues to this day, CHP has given us football and the next chancellor will give us a name change.

I can list the reasons why - but we all know them. I just think this chancellor has decided his energy in the arena of massive change is done. I also don’t think has the willingness to spend political capital to make it happen.

[quote=“J Felt, post:2062, topic:23766”]It’s probably suited for another thread, but I’m tired of being viewed as the “Diet” to Chapel Hill’s “Pepsi.”

Stand alone.
[/quote

Signed.[/quote]

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:2064, topic:23766”]I think we are going to get one big achievement per chancellor. WOodward gave us the start of the building campaign which continues to this day, CHP has given us football and the next chancellor will give us a name change.

I can list the reasons why - but we all know them. I just think this chancellor has decided his energy in the arena of massive change is done. I also don’t think has the willingness to spend political capital to make it happen.[/quote]

I think political capital is the key here. I’m not sure there is enough left after starting football to pursue a name change. At the very least football needs to get up and running and show it is a success over an extended period of time before you begin to rebuild the reserves.

The school will gain it if we can show we can support big time football no problem. It will be greatly diminished if the football program struggles.

Per Katz on the Big East:

There remains a desire among some member schools to leave. Multiple sources with direct knowledge of their situations told ESPN.com that Louisville athletic director Tom Jurich told the Big East board of directors that the Cardinals want to be in the Big 12 or the ACC, opting for transparency by making members aware of his school's true intentions.

No invitation has arrived as of yet and the only likely one would be from the Big 12 if new commissioner Bob Bowlsby sees the need to recommend to his board that an expansion to 12 teams is in the league’s interest. Last year, Louisville made a strong push to get into the Big 12 over West Virginia but was rebuffed in the 11th hour.

Connecticut, meanwhile, states publicly that it wants to stay in the Big East, though a number of UConn sources have said privately that they want to be in the ACC with Notre Dame.

The Irish have so far publicly remained committed to independence in football and the Big East in all other sports. But an Irish source said that they are evaluating the new landscape in the Big East. Still, it would take a major decision by the Irish to give up independent status in football.

Link to entire piece on ESPN.com: Good luck to the next Big East commish

The BE definitely seemed to jump the shark with the additions of Boise St, SD State, Houston and SMU. I believe they could have just added Temple, Memphis and UCF. Would have given them 8 for football. Then wait and see if other, more regional schools could have risen to be future quality candidates. Perhaps Charlotte, ODU, Villanova, UMass, etc. Or even the 2 military academies on the East coast.

Well the Big East is picking up Navy as a football-only, but your general point seems fair. Army was a CUSA football-only member and was murdered every year. It will be interesting to see how Navy does in a basically the same league. The BE wanted to get a coast-to-coast conference to get a coast-to-coast TV contract, we shall see.

We are mentioned a few times, and Judy is quoted in the following article:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7916050/a-look-realiignment-perspective-smaller-basketball-conferences-college-basketball

Well the Big East is picking up Navy as a football-only, but your general point seems fair. Army was a CUSA football-only member and was murdered every year. It will be interesting to see how Navy does in a basically the same league. The BE wanted to get a coast-to-coast conference to get a coast-to-coast TV contract, we shall see.[/quote]

I knew there was some discussion of both Army and Navy, but forgot Navy was actually added. Thanks. I know their on the field performance is lacking. But I feel some regional considerations should play a factor in conference formations. Kind of like Northwestern, Vandy, WF and Baylor in their current conferences.

[quote=“Anborn, post:2070, topic:23766”]We are mentioned a few times, and Judy is quoted in the following article:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7916050/a-look-realiignment-perspective-smaller-basketball-conferences-college-basketball[/quote]

clt endorses this. Better than the obserrver.

Boise State having 2nd thoughts?

CBSSports.com: Boise State might be reconsidering move to Big East

Getting beyond ridiculous now…

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/college/florida-state-seminoles-president-denies-interest-going-to-big-12/1229895

VCU to A10

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/brett-mcmurphy/19042989

[quote=“HXC Niner, post:2075, topic:23766”]VCU to A10

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/brett-mcmurphy/19042989
[/quote]I assume this means that ODU is almost certainly going to go to CUSA? I hope so for Charlotte's sake.

Hamptonroads.com: For Monarchs, possible C-USA move is about timing

Off the topic a bit, but Run, that quote in your signature is f***ing stupid. Staying in a CAA that is almost always a 1 bid league after its best team leaves is an awful idea.

CUSA is still good enough to get an at large, the new CAA will never be.

[quote=“Niner National, post:2078, topic:23766”]Off the topic a bit, but Run, that quote in your signature is f***ing stupid. Staying in a CAA that is almost always a 1 bid league after its best team leaves is an awful idea.

CUSA is still good enough to get an at large, the new CAA will never be.[/quote]

Katz should know that this isn’t a basketball move, anyway. He’s not completely off base (because CUSA is losing its best team too), but this move is about being in a better spot for the next move. ODU can’t make that next move if they stay in the CAA, and I’m not sure if Katz gets that or not.

[quote=“X-49er, post:2079, topic:23766”][quote=“Niner National, post:2078, topic:23766”]Off the topic a bit, but Run, that quote in your signature is f***ing stupid. Staying in a CAA that is almost always a 1 bid league after its best team leaves is an awful idea.

CUSA is still good enough to get an at large, the new CAA will never be.[/quote]

Katz should know that this isn’t a basketball move, anyway. He’s not completely off base (because CUSA is losing its best team too), but this move is about being in a better spot for the next move. ODU can’t make that next move if they stay in the CAA, and I’m not sure if Katz gets that or not.[/quote]even without looking ahead to the next move cusa is still a better option. A CAA without VCU is a 1 bid league 100% of the time. CUSA will probably be 1 bid most seasons too, but at least you get FBS football and an upgrade in virtually all other sports. You get a better tv deal and more conference revenue. Its a no brainer.