Conference Realignment (Part 1)

App folks touting all their season tickets sold etc - don’t seem to acknowledge the chapel hill game impact.

1 Like

I admit I have waffled because of things I have learned along the way and because of recent unforeseen changes such as outright Pay to Play.

It comes down to fan sizes and specifically how much money the fanbases can generate. There are only so many programs with fanbases big enough to compete in the arms race when it comes right down to it. Doesn’t matter which way you structure it, that’s the unavoidable fact.

The only thing I’m not clear on is: do these schools want to keep some punching bags / whipping boys programs around to pad their win totals? Oddly, Vandy probably wants the G5 and other non P2 schools to refuse to play the P2, so that they can continue to fill that role.

I don’t think we are saying this happens in the near term. Whenever these next tv deals are up, 6-10 yrs, is when we could see more extensive movement and between now and then there are a lot of things in play that are still new to college football with the portal and NIL and such. Will be interesting to see what landscape looks like then. Certainly could see expanded playoffs and some structure and caps around NIL that calms all this or the power brokers keep pushing this to the superfriends league - which is the term i will now use. Thanks NA!

2 Likes

They overbuilt that university for the town of Boone.

I am privy to conflict between student orgs and some faculty and the chancellor who wanted and finally did get them over the 20K enrollment mark.

Many people did not want that. They want app to be what it has been in the past. A smaller institution focused on undergrad education.

Graduation up there was murder from a traffic perspective and I’m sure game days are as well.

They have grown to big for the town and it should not have happened.

1 Like

Yeah my wife is from Boone and not thrilled with where it is today.

2 Likes

I’ve never waffled. I’m been lit up on here because I’ve always said I wish the big boys would go the hell on.

1 Like

Hootie, you have been consistent.

I think the hair split is that I have never wanted half of FBS to leave the other half behind… and I still don’t. I wanna make that clear.

But I also don’t think that’s the financial reality either. If that many teams leave, it means that there will be some form of commie subsidies to keep the bottom half of that group afloat. They won’t be able to do it on their own. The gap between the big dogs and them is also going to be too big.

I have waffled on FCS versus FBS but at this point I would be fine if we were in a more regional FCS conference and I could drive to more games and we had a shot at an FCS championship. Which I bet we could have a realistic path towards with the right hires and facility investments. There would be no actual barriers other than our own ability to execute at least.

At a base level I just want to watch the Niners play ball and I’m caring less and less about being in FBS.

I’d just like to be in a league with a bunch of schools, including ACC schools, in North and South Carolina. Call it whatever you want. I don’t care. I think that would be the most fun.

1 Like

clt can see AAC absorbing ACC schools

I want us to continue attempting to compete at the highest level possible for now. My opinion could change in five years but I want to see how the landscape in college football shifts. The university and the city of Charlotte have always been aspirational. People turn out in this city for big events that draw attention. FCS football isn’t going to create a huge ground swell here. I want to see how things play out before capping our ceiling.

We aren’t going FCS and even if we have 2-3 super conferences, we will still have numerous other schools that will join together to offset these super conferences to the best of our ability. I sort of agree with the person who says the big guys might just end up collapsing of their own accord. Sort of like the Corporation that gobbles up many companies only to have to to split apart in a few years. Seen it and been part of it several times.

2 Likes

Yeah I think some have misinterpreted previous comments. We are not dropping down to the level of the current FCS or D2 in any scenario. The “FCS” comments that have been made are referring to the lesser relevancy if some schools leave FBS. That would effectively shift each level of football down a rung, sparking snarky “FCS” and “D2” comments in response.

Again, if it’s just a small group of programs that leave, it wouldn’t be so bad, because we would still be grouped with approximately 100 schools that are currently “FBS”. But if half of the FBS schools leave, that remaining group of schools is gonna feel a whole lot like FCS does now. Doesn’t mean we would actually drop down even further though.

2 Likes

I’d love to be in a conf with schools located close enough to make a lot of road games. I don’t care what it’s called.

It would nice if it included some schools that maybe get left behind, like the WFUs of the world that gets left behind.

4 Likes

Couldn’t agree more, well said.

So they form a couple of Super Conferences and have 40-50 schools in them. What do they do with the bottom dwellers. If they get rid of them they are just going to have new bottom dwellers take their place. Someone is going to be 13-1 and someone will be 1-13. This will happen time and again and the ones on the bottom will most likely be stuck there. The more things change the more they stay the same.

Yeah that’s why I don’t think it lasts long term. None of those fanbases will accept that year after year and if there are no steps to create parity that’s exactly what will happen.

1 Like

Well if the B12 adds Arizona & Colorado they will have 4 of those 10. I guess maybe success doesn’t matter as much as the name.