Conference shake ups

Tonight in the shoutbox, we discussed conference shakeups of the future. I think I may have captured what we said. Feel free to offer your input, comments, disapproval. Im hoping that I can get something together that we can all agree on.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p2ItpZRoLUnjde34Kml1oag

I think there will be two man factors driving the next re-alignment:

1. Big Ten going to 12 teams (nice name).
  2. Big East adding football members, splintering off non-football members.

There are several candidates for Big 10(11). I personally think they’ll add someone to geographically rival Penn State. Rutgers, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, and West Virginia would be on my short list. They could target a Big 12 team as well, but I think those schools are pretty happy where they are.

So that means the Big East could be adding 4-5 teams. I see Lax you have WVU going to the ACC. I think they’d go Big 10 before they go ACC personally, but it’s not out of the question. If there’s one thing about your spreadsheet I disagree with, it’s not clearly identifying a 12th Big 10 member before moving any other school around.

Cool spreadsheet though.

I think there will be two man factors driving the next re-alignment:
  1. Big Ten going to 12 teams (nice name).
  2. Big East adding football members, splintering off non-football members.

There are several candidates for Big 10(11). I personally think they’ll add someone to geographically rival Penn State. Rutgers, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, and West Virginia would be on my short list. They could target a Big 12 team as well, but I think those schools are pretty happy where they are.

So that means the Big East could be adding 4-5 teams. I see Lax you have WVU going to the ACC. I think they’d go Big 10 before they go ACC personally, but it’s not out of the question. If there’s one thing about your spreadsheet I disagree with, it’s not clearly identifying a 12th Big 10 member before moving any other school around.

Cool spreadsheet though.

If Notre Dame loses their BCS auto bid and that NBC contract, which they’re well on their way towards doing if they keep sucking, I expect them to finally cave and join the Big TelevenalmostTwelve.

Other than that, some team will join in eventually. Maybe a MAC school.

Syracuse wouldn’t go Big Ten, they almost went ACC and that was for basketball reasons. If they will not go there, there not going anywhere else. They’re a flagship Big Easy member, that’s what made it so tough to even goto the ACC. I hate seeing them included b/c I’ve heard numerous times how that would not happen. I don’t think Rutgers would be on the Big Ten’s radar, and if it is the ONLY reason it is would be b/c of their market (NYC) and possible media exploitation. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them go after Iowa State or Mizzou.

Also, if ND keeps blowing ass, it would likely be a knife fight to the end between the Big Ten and the Big East. They already play all their other sports in the BE, so why pick up and totally go B10. I’d see them trying to stick in a conf. they are already familiar with.

I don’t see FSU jumping ship for the SEC from the ACC- and I would think that WVU would probably be big ten- us and ECU in the Big Easy- thats interesting- we won’t have much of a football team history and they dont have any basketball history

Bump due to recent events.

Until the Big East contract(s) is up, I don’t think there will be any shakeup that affects us. The Big 10 and Pac 10 need to add 1 and 2 members respectfully to have their football championship games, but neither have made mention of it recently. If the SEC and Big 12 keep winning the tiebreaker on who goes to the BCS Championship game based on them having a title game, then that will hopefully motivate both the Pac 10 and Big 10 to add their necessary teams. The Big East basketball TV contract runs through 2013-2015?, so no big shakeups until at least that time should occur. Our best hope is that we play I-AA for 4-5 years, do well, and either we are in the plans for a new Big East or CUSA when the Big East decides they want a football championship game. So long as we prove we can handle football financially, we should get in one of those conferences no problem. My guess is that the Mountain West might invade some of the western CUSA teams to get them to 12 teams. Boise State and Fresno State are prime targets too, but they should be the two new Pac 10 teams if that conference chooses wisely.

there is a thread from 2 years ago that explains every possible scenario…it must be 20 pages long

[QUOTE=metro;359645]there is a thread from 2 years ago that explains every possible scenario…it must be 20 pages long[/QUOTE]

Link? Lax did a nice spreadsheet so you can create all of them in your own time.

Link? Lax did a nice spreadsheet so you can create all of them in your own time.
don't ask me how I found this...

http://www.ninernation.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17449&highlight=Marshall

So…how many basketball games will ECU win in the Big East???

[QUOTE=upperdeck;359651]So…how many basketball games will ECU win in the Big East???[/QUOTE]

Not many less than they’ve managed to win in CUSA. :ohmy:

The Big 10 and Pac 10 need to add 1 and 2 members respectfully to have their football championship games, but neither have made mention of it recently. My guess is that the Mountain West might invade some of the western CUSA teams to get them to 12 teams. Boise State and Fresno State are prime targets too, but they should be the two new Pac 10 teams if that conference chooses wisely.

I’d say the PAC 10 will have its choice and raid the WAC and/or Mountain West, which will in turn raid others, kind of like what happened last time. Without doing any research, I think Utah, BYU and Boise St. are attractive football schools for the PAC-10 to raid. It would be interesting to see who they take.

I think the Pac 10 should add 2 to get a title game. The main candidates as I see it are: Fresno St., TCU, BYU, Utah, Boise St., & maybe Hawaii.
I think the Big 10’s 1 team will be Pitt, ND, W. Virginia, VT, Cincy, Louisville, Rutgers, Marshall, Syracuse, BC, Charlotte (we have lots of Yankees), or Memphis.
I think the 4 for the Big East will be: ECU, Charlotte, Memphis, UCF, UMass if they go D1-A, Marshall, Coastal Carolina if they go D1-A, App St if they go D1-A, FAU, FIU, Houston, Notre Dame, or Tulane.

don't ask me how I found this...

http://www.ninernation.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17449&highlight=Marshall

The poster that started that thread is a real jackass. :shades: