WCC

Gonzaga in Gonzaga

Pac 10

UCLA in LA

A 10

Xavier is Cincinatti

ACC

3/4 Finalists were local teams

Is anyone else seeing a pattern? Whats the point of seeding when one team has a home court advantage?

I was thinking this same thing earlier. There are more teams like this too. Im pretty sure Bucknell, Albany, and Wintrop all won their respective confrence tournaments on their home court. That just does not seem fair. Seems like con. tourneys should be on a neutral court in a geographically neutral location. I understand that that may not be entirely possible but one team getting home court advantage just does not seem right.

A side note: ACC tournament probably is best played in Greesboro since its teams are spread from Massachusetts all the way to Florida. NC is pretty much the middle and atleast Greensboro is no one’s home court.

Don’t forget Memphis in Memphis aswell

think im going to start placing bets. I guarantee you if i bet the same on every game (forgetting odds) the home teams have id end up with a lot of money.

Charlotte somewhat associated stats:

Tournament record home teams:

2005 CUSA home team record 3-1
2006 A-10 home team record 4-0
2006 CUSA home team 3-0

Overall 10-1 (with the one loss being a couple of FT’s away from being a win and the loss was against a Final 4 team)

That is a darn good record especially for tournaments, if you look at most schools tournament records over the same period, .500 is considered good or ok.

It takes more than just being the home team to win, of course you have to be good and both Xavier and Memphis are both good.

Charlotte’s record at these tournaments and against these home teams, 0-2, 2005 and 2006.

Why are conference tourneys held on home courts/cities ?

Three words…

Straight Cash, Homey.

Conference tourneys are a cash cow for the leagues, much like the conference championship football games are. In the larger conferences, cities/teams bid on the right to host tourneys and the conferences usually award the event to the highest bidder. In the smaller conferences, part of the reward for being the top seed is hosting the tournament. That two has financial undertones. You think anybody would want to hang out in Lynchburg, Va. to watch the Big South tourney once #8 seed Liberty lost in the 1st round? No, of course not. To play it in Rock Hill, where the home team will probably play all three days, guarantees more people buying tickets.

Also,

The Big East tourney has been held at MSG forever, and Syracuse is further away from NYC than 'Nova, Georgetown and UConn.

The same is true for the Pac 10. Since the tourney was revived in 02, it has been played at Staples Center.

The WCC tourney rotates from site to site. Gonzaga hosted this year, Portland will host next year, and then it goes back to SoCal after that.

At least the A-10 tourney wasn’t played on X’s home court. When Dayton hosted it the last couple of years, they played at UD Arena.

I wouldn’t mind if the tourneys were rotated like the WCC. However my idea would be this.

Why not shorten the in conference season and make the conference tourney similar to the NIT. The lower seed goes to the upper seeds house. This goes on until the finals which is held at the higher seeds home court.

Reasons why it would make sense. It would eliminate any fussing over an innate home court advantage and would make it a blatant one.

Second it would reward teams that finish well in the regular season

Third, ticket revenues would actually be higher than the current format.

The hitch of course would be the number of upsets would probably decrease thus decreasing the “march madness”

Why are conference tourneys held on home courts/cities ?

Also,

The Big East tourney has been held at MSG forever, and Syracuse is further away from NYC than 'Nova, Georgetown and UConn.

Urmmm…it’s almost an 8 hour drive from DC to NYC. It’s almost 5 from Philly to NYC. UConn maybe closer than Syracuse geographically but if you watch the games, that was a pro Syracuse crowd throughout.

Then points for Syracuse fans for making the effort, and believe me, they’re not mostly downstaters that are Syracuse fans going, they’re upstaters.

[QUOTE=49erFan1;160984]Urmmm…it’s almost an 8 hour drive from DC to NYC. It’s almost 5 from Philly to NYC. UConn maybe closer than Syracuse geographically but if you watch the games, that was a pro Syracuse crowd throughout.[/QUOTE]

DC to NYC= 3 1/2 hours, not 8
Philly to NYC= 2 hours