Consider Elon Coach Pete Lembo

For a while, Iā€™ve thought that Pete Lembo would be a fine coaching prospect.

ā€“Took Elon from a bad team in FCS to a top 10 team in four seasons. I think in his second season they made the top 25.
ā€“Saw immediate success in one of the top conferences in FCS.
ā€“Has many recruiting connections in the area. He made the recruitment of NC kids a focus and has landed some good ones (Terrell Hudgins, Scott Riddle are both NC kids who are among the best players to ever play in FCS). Also has good connections in VA, SC and GA.
ā€“Under the age of 40 and on the rise in his career. Knows how to build a program. He is good on the field but is also a good with public relations and has a winsome personality.

Lastly, I know that he is keeping an eye on the job and might have some interest. He is worth a strong look.

clt will only settle for bill parcels.

Is a startup FCS program really an upgrade? Sure the fanbase would be larger and facilities may be better, but I donā€™t see an established FCS coach moving to a start up program.

[quote=ā€œNiner National, post:3, topic:23952ā€]Is a startup FCS program really an upgrade? Sure the fanbase would be larger and facilities may be better, but I donā€™t see an established FCS coach moving to a start up program.[/quote]We donā€™t intend to remain in FCS, so that could be of interest to Lembo.

Donā€™t see it happening. I follow the Elon program closely. Best friend is their beat writer for the Times-News.

He turned down Richmond (another FCS power) this past off-season. Heā€™s not leaving Elon for us.

The whole picture is a team that will be moving up to FBS.

I know that Pete himself has mentioned Charlotte football to me (not in any way indicating that he was interested in a job there) and that he thought it sounded like Charlotte was doing things right and had a lot of potential. For sure he keeps up with it. This could be a great route for him up to FBS Head Coach.

I donā€™t know if he would take it, but it would be worth a shot at him. We have a compelling program to sell and he could stay in his ā€œnetworkā€ of recruiting. The guy is from New York City and I bet would love to be in Charlotte over Burlington. Coaches think in terms of ā€œmarketā€ too.

I like the way you think jobeyonekanobey.

This guy is an intriguing candidate if heā€™s interested. I like the credentials.

Iā€™d be happy with a Pete Lembo.

I donā€™t think the intention to move up to FBS is really a big sell until we KNOW for sure weā€™re moving up in x number of years.

Yep. I think weā€™re going to be at FCS a lot longer than people think. I just donā€™t see us moving up to FBS in 5 or 6 years after our inaugural year is going to be reasonable. I hope we win a ton early and Iā€™m completely wrong.

I would love to have Pete Lembo (and we should probably see if heā€™s interested), but I just donā€™t see it happening.

We do know that some HCā€™s have expressed interest in the job.

we may not move to FBS in 4 or 5 years but we need to hire like we are.

[quote=ā€œninerID, post:12, topic:23952ā€]we may not move to FBS in 4 or 5 years but we need to hire like we are.[/quote]This. We have to be forwarded looking with every step in the process.

If there is no stated timetable for the team to move up, then Lembo is certainly not an option. We would have to find a good Coordinator in FCS or FBS.
Elon got Lembo from LeHigh in the Patriot League.

Judy, please model after USF.

this.

[quote=ā€œjobeyonekanobey, post:14, topic:23952ā€]If there is no stated timetable for the team to move up, then Lembo is certainly not an option. We would have to find a good Coordinator in FCS or FBS.
Elon got Lembo from LeHigh in the Patriot League.

Judy, please model after USF.[/quote]

and this.

Earlier today I stated that it was a rumor, but it was circulating that we have our targets set and may even have our guy. The source that told me this information stated that multiple people were pointing towards Pete Lembo. Again, rumors.

Ball State lost their coach to Pitt. Pete Lembo has emerged as the leading candidate for the Ball State job according to footballscoop.com

[quote=ā€œninerID, post:16, topic:23952ā€]Earlier today I stated that it was a rumor, but it was circulating that we have our targets set and may even have our guy. The source that told me this information stated that multiple people were pointing towards Pete Lembo. Again, rumors.

Ball State lost their coach to Pitt. Pete Lembo has emerged as the leading candidate for the Ball State job according to footballscoop.com[/quote]I was assured today that we have not started the process and that it will begin in January, hire date no later than April 1.

Meanwhile, our potential recruits are going to App State and Wofford. Wonderful.

[quote=ā€œ2k, post:17, topic:23952ā€][quote=ā€œninerID, post:16, topic:23952ā€]Earlier today I stated that it was a rumor, but it was circulating that we have our targets set and may even have our guy. The source that told me this information stated that multiple people were pointing towards Pete Lembo. Again, rumors.

Ball State lost their coach to Pitt. Pete Lembo has emerged as the leading candidate for the Ball State job according to footballscoop.com[/quote]I was assured today that we have not started the process and that it will begin in January, hire date no later than April 1.[/quote]

Maybe not the formal process of contacting and interviewing but they certainly have their list and are doing their homework.

http://mobile.twitter.com/TomDienhart

Lembo to Ball St. according to Dienhart on Twitter.