Conference affiliation

What non-BCS conference would you suggest NA?

[quote=ā€œstonecoldken, post:12, topic:23958ā€]Memphis, Houston, UAB, Utep, & Tulsa are good in hoops. USM & Tulane are down, but can improve. Marshall made a good run last year. Iā€™ll go back to Cusa in all. I never wanted to leave.

Iā€™m seeing all the prices for just assts., & Iā€™m thinking we canā€™t afford to go 1-A anytime soon. (as much as I want to.)[/quote]

Come on. Tulane and USM have both sucked since like 92. We went like 19-1 against these two schools when we were in CUSAā€¦and they havenā€™t gotten any better since.

And absolutely kill our basketball program. Death Knell.

thatā€™s the same thing some usf fans said at one time.

thatā€™s the same thing some usf fans said at one time.[/quote]

Uconn as well. And now Villanova.

bill cowher?

Id love to see us in CAA for awhile. Id rather see national title runs in football and have bball in the A10 making ncaa runs, than to have the bball not make the tourney because they didnt win the CUSA tournament and have the football team be 7-5 and going to the Used toilet paper bowl or whatever the heck they call bowls these days. Big East or A10/CAA IMO.

They went from FCS to CUSA to the Big East, are you not making his own point?

Uconn as well. And now Villanova.[/quote]
UCONN and Villanova were Big East teams in the other sports. If we played all other sports in the Big East, yes it would be dumb to go to the CUSA. Apples and Oranges.

They went from FCS to CUSA to the Big East, are you not making his own point?[/quote]

my point was they were a startup team one year and only a few years later they were in the big east. iā€™m not opposed to cusa. but i think we need to stay in a10/caa while we are fcs.

They went from FCS to CUSA to the Big East, are you not making his own point?[/quote]

my point was they were a startup team one year and only a few years later they were in the big east. iā€™m not opposed to cusa. but i think we need to stay in a10/caa while we are fcs.[/quote]

I agree, but thatā€™s not what is being argued.

What is being argued is turning down an opportunity to move to FBS because the opportunity is with a lesser basketball conference.

I can understand the Sun Belt (hell, I think FCS would be better than the Sun Belt) but the MAC or C-USA would have to be worth it, IMO.

This thread is no longer about Lembo.

I think Judy would take CUSA if it presented itself.

However, I think we could easily end up being FBS in a new conference or Big East as well. Depends on where the dominos fall, I guess.

Both Villanova and Rhode Island may be leaving CAA Football for other conferences. But if Nova joins Big East Football, thatā€™s going to end the fantasy of a BCS invitation for anyone else, at least until the Big East is raided again.

NA are you on crack? CUSA not a good league in the late '90ā€™s? Do you remember us, Cincy, & the Ville? Memphis, DePaul, Marquette, UAB had good runs. It was awesome. I was never complaining about the conf.

I wouldnā€™t mind going back to CUSA if Temple goes along as well. Temple, UMass, Charlotte, UAB, Houston, and Tulsa make for a decent basketball conference. Itā€™s not quite as strong as the A10, but itā€™s not terrible either. Most of those schools have better followings than most of the A10 schools.

Itā€™d be an upgrade in football (obviously), baseball, and pretty much every other sport, plus itā€™d give us an in state rival and we would be in a league that fits us better.

Ideally (assuming the Big East is a long shot), Iā€™d like to see the CAA schools that want to move up, Temple, and the eastern CUSA schools form a conference, but a lot of stuff would have to happen for that to occur.

Iā€™ll vote for this. You left out Memphis State.

Iā€™m not saying is going to happen, but going with the scenario presented:

FBS Football is a huge deal. A million dollar big deal. CUSA football is way better than FCS football, or the Sunbelt or whatever. A10 basketball is better than CUSA basketball, but not like Big East or Big 10 better. The A10 is much worse than CUSA in baseball. If you wouldnā€™t take a minor step back in basketball to be in a conference which is exceptionally better at football and baseball you are crazy. Football alone would bring in millions more $ which could be used to improve student life, build new dorms, and even better our basketball facilities.

I meant to say Memphis, not UMass. I wouldnā€™t mind seeing UMass in that conference either though. Iā€™ve heard before they may be looking to move up to FBS, but I donā€™t know if that was anything more than rumors.

[quote=ā€œpunkrockcowboy, post:47, topic:23958ā€]Iā€™m not saying is going to happen, but going with the scenario presented:

FBS Football is a huge deal. A million dollar big deal. CUSA football is way better than FCS football, or the Sunbelt or whatever. A10 basketball is better than CUSA basketball, but not like Big East or Big 10 better. The A10 is much worse than CUSA in baseball. If you wouldnā€™t take a minor step back in basketball to be in a conference which is exceptionally better at football and baseball you are crazy. Football alone would bring in millions more $ which could be used to improve student life, build new dorms, and even better our basketball facilities.[/quote]This.

Itā€™d be one thing if we left the A10 for the Sunbelt where basketball is TERRIBLE. CUSA is a decent (top 10) basketball conference and can easily get 2-3 teams in the tournament per year.

I will disagree that football would bring in millions more that could be used for what you listed. Itā€™d likely be kept in the athletics department improving facilities, paying for scholarships, etc. Weā€™d be very lucky to make enough money to do more than that.

We havenā€™t been to the tournament since we left CUSA, so its not like the A-10 is helping us get there.