Conference affiliation

We either fast track to FBS or the football team is headed for the Ohio Valley Conferenceā€¦The SOCON want take just football, I know someone that works for the Big South and they want nothing to do with us and the CAA wont except just one team because they have an even 12 (or will when ODU and Ga State get there) So the only geographicaly logical FCS conference left for us is OVC. I am extremely happy we hve football but we either go FBS quick or we are gonna be in quite a pickle. To be honest I believe we will be Big East or CUSA by 2020 and if not I see no possible way this school lives up to its potential. Football in the OVC and all other sports in the A10 just isnā€™t gonna cut it. Our only other options are to start our own FBS conference. Jacksonville State, Georgia Southern, Liberty and James Madison have all discussed moving up and all but GSU are expanding their stadiums. New Conference: Charlotte, Temple, Memphis, UCF, Ga Southern, JSU, Liberty, JMU, UAB, Southern Miss, Ohio, ODU, Richmond (no football), Xavier, Dayton, George Masonā€¦Lol highly unlikely but id be okay with that conference, solid for all sports. Our last resort is pray JMU moves up so we can take their CAA spot. Not trying to be negative but I know how college athletics workā€¦on a side note for those that want to change from UNCC to U of C, thatll cost the school about a million dollars at minimum to do so, so how bout we wait until football starts bringing in money first.

CAA membership structure in football is somewhat fluid. Hofstra and Northwestern killed football on rapid decisions just 10 months ago. ODU and Georgia St. are moving in next year and the year after. Rhode Island may go to the NEC and who knows what Maine and New Hapshire do if that happens. Fellow A10 member Fordham is looking at going full scholarship and will want in the CAA. Most of the A10 schools and southern CAA football teams will want us. Also, if we made a long term commitment to FCS, the Big South will jump us in a heart beat.

But obviously Iā€™d rather be in the Big East or even CUSA playing top level college football.

My gut tells me we are destined for C-USA if things donā€™t change drastically.

Thatā€™s a mighty big IF though.

[quote=ā€œhootie, post:3, topic:23958ā€]My gut tells me we are destined for C-USA if things donā€™t change drastically.

Thatā€™s a mighty big IF though.[/quote]

We have to get back on CUSAā€™s radar first. 3 or 4 A10 basketball titles, 2 or 3 2nd/3rd round NCAA apperances and a stadium expansion with butts to fill it would do that. Also would help if their membership became fluid again.

ECU does fairly well in CUSA. Itā€™s not the sexy destination, like the Big East, but there is nothing wrong with being in CUSA for our athletic programs.

Sorry, but Iā€™m not believing that. I think the Big South would $hit a brick if they could get us in their league for ANY sport although I do NOT want us in that league for anything. Iā€™d rather go indy and I think thats what weā€™ll do, atleast initially. Also, I definitely think youā€™re wrong on the CAA. Its been noted several times that Judy and the CAA Commish have had some very ā€œearlyā€ discussions. I know theyā€™ve said the talks were informal but thats always what they say.

Sorry, but Iā€™m not believing that. I think the Big South would $hit a brick if they could get us in their league for ANY sport although I do NOT want us in that league for anything. Iā€™d rather go indy and I think thats what weā€™ll do, atleast initially. Also, I definitely think youā€™re wrong on the CAA. Its been noted several times that Judy and the CAA Commish have had some very ā€œearlyā€ discussions. I know theyā€™ve said the talks were informal but thats always what they say.[/quote]
Youre right about CAA, to clarify I was meaning I dont see us joining without someone else joining with us or someone leaving the CAA. I dont see the CAA having 13 teams, someone has to go or someone has to come with us. Which is possible but Im not holding my breath for that to happen. If the Big East is smart theyll take us for the Charlotte marketā€¦BCS is all about money. And to keep up the Big East is gonna need 12 football teams and a tittle game.

Yeah there is. It sucks balls for hoops. Itā€™s a shadow of its former self and is still far flung with no good rivalries. I do not want in CUSA for hoops. No way.

Yeah there is. It sucks balls for hoops. Itā€™s a shadow of its former self and is still far flung with no good rivalries. I do not want in CUSA for hoops. No way.[/quote]

We may have that option at the FCS level. We may even get away with that with the Sun Belt, but if CUSA calls us back Judy will take ALL our sports there.

Yeah there is. It sucks balls for hoops. Itā€™s a shadow of its former self and is still far flung with no good rivalries. I do not want in CUSA for hoops. No way.[/quote]

We may have that option at the FCS level. We may even get away with that with the Sun Belt, but if CUSA calls us back Judy will take ALL our sports there.[/quote]

I believe this as well.

We may have that option at the FCS level. We may even get away with that with the Sun Belt, but if CUSA calls us back Judy will take ALL our sports there.[/quote]

I believe this as well.[/quote]

Its not even an option. They call we go.

Memphis, Houston, UAB, Utep, & Tulsa are good in hoops. USM & Tulane are down, but can improve. Marshall made a good run last year. Iā€™ll go back to Cusa in all. I never wanted to leave.

Iā€™m seeing all the prices for just assts., & Iā€™m thinking we canā€™t afford to go 1-A anytime soon. (as much as I want to.)

Its not even an option. They call we go.[/quote]

No. Judy will not compromise basketball for football, no matter how badly you want to.

No. Judy will not compromise basketball for football, no matter how badly you want to.[/quote]

I needed a good laugh! :))

No. Judy will not compromise basketball for football, no matter how badly you want to.[/quote]
I think she will.

We arenā€™t looking to build a 40k seat stadium, have 65 scholarships and equivalent womenā€™s sports for football to play second fiddle.

I think she will.

We arenā€™t looking to build a 40k seat stadium, have 65 scholarships and equivalent womenā€™s sports for football to play second fiddle.[/quote]

If half your athletics department money goes to 1 sport, guess which sport ā€œcalls the tuneā€, and thatā€™s even at FCS level!

I agree. We would compromise basketball in a heartbeat to get into a legit football conference, especially since you donā€™t have to be in a good conference to be good in basketball.

clt says that we need to get where memphis is now in cusa and then impress the big east.

I would take a C-USA invite today.

Is it a step down in hoops? Yes, it is. However, in the public perception it is a step up. East Carolina, Marshall, UCF, Southern Miss, and Memphis are much more identifiable names to this area than Saint Josephā€™s, Xavier, Temple, and Dayton.

The main reason, however, is because a C-USA invite today means that we have an FBS home when we want it. We donā€™t have to wait around to find a conference, it is already taken care of.

The A10 is the best possible conference for our basketball program, but every other program suffers for itā€¦ especially baseball.

Memphis seems to have success with basketball in CUSA. No reason we canā€™t as ā€œsuccessfulā€ as they have been. Maybe we can do it without cheating.

Plus it would be nice to beat them on a consistent basis.