Consuegra signs 3-year extension thru 2019

If a coach wins more times than not, the players graduate and stay out of trouble, then Iā€™m all for retaining them as a coach of a non-revenue sport.

[quote=ā€œCharSFNiners, post:21, topic:28832ā€]If a coach wins more times than not, the players graduate and stay out of trouble, then Iā€™m all for retaining them as a coach of a non-revenue sport.[/quote] Wish granted. ;D

They do (and will) if they win more. The other $chools come callinā€™ like they have in the past.

Not sure where to put this post, but saw WBB lost to App yesterday. Head coach has been around what, 10 years? But no NCAA berths. Record is terribly mediocre. Three good seasons mixed with 6 or so average or just below average seasons. Wonder if there will be any movement with a new coach if we finish under .500? Judy Rose hired some quality WBB coaches back in the day and of course they all bolted for more $$. Seems like she played it safe with Consuegra and got a decade of average. Have to think AD Hill will have his eye on this team over the course of the season.

Thought the same - seems UNCC canā€™t beat App State in anything.

Mediocrity seems to be welcome.

I donā€™t think firing a WBB coach is a top priority right now, money wise. Plus the optics would be pretty bad. You only seem to post negative things on here and your use of uncc suggests you might be trolling. Also, what about hillā€™s tenure suggests that mediocrity is welcome?

We played with a very short bench yesterday, an excuse not taken by Cara after the game. App, on the other hand, seemed to have their full team available.
That said, if our team gives a similar effort in every game this season, they will achieve similar results.

Team needs to work on passing. Too sloppy, too many turnovers. The biggest coaching mistake was waiting WAY too damn long to call a time out when App started that 3rd quarter run. It was plain as day to me she should have called a time out, but she didnā€™t, then things got way out of hand. Season is young. I donā€™t think now is the time to fire a coach for WBB even if she does deserve it.

None of what Austinniner said is wrong! Astonā€™s teams here had lots of turnovers, but they also had lots of assists. Our offensive movement is glacial compared with those years.
Defense and rebounding are key to winning and yesterday was failure in both areas.

Of course Covid, but otherwise I am sure that Consuegra will bring the season in somewhere between 4th and 7th in the conferenceā€¦as usual. That is not necessarily firing worthy, but 10 years of it makes you wonder if we couldnā€™t be better. Until we are ready to commit to being a winner there is no point. The best thing Hill can do now is set higher expectations so change doesnā€™t come as a surprise when we can make one.

I hate to say this - because I want us to win in all things, but Iā€™d rather Hill not mess with mediocre womens sports until we have money sports straight.

4 Likes

clt worries for Karen.

Women 0-3. Lost to Wake tonight by 3ā€¦3 close games, but 3 losses.

Play Carolina, Dayton and Davidson next three games. 0-6 on the horizon? Consuegra is pretty good in the ā€œmoral victoriesā€ department.

In case anybody watched the game, the arena had a pre-programmed door bell sound that went off during the game. It notified everyone that the student activity center was closing in 30 minutes. Commentators had a chuckle with that. Pretty embarrassing. Does anyone go to the SAC for rec purposes anymore? With Belk and the new rec center open, should be plenty of other options available. Halton should just be Halton at this point.

Watched the Wake game today. Refs block/charge call toward the end was brutal. Cara needs some coaching on how to work the refs. The Rodney Dangerfield of WBB.

Teamā€™s defense was horrible today. Missing a huge person from the middle. Not on the bench today. Donā€™t know if out with Covid or what. Hope English teacher not reading this post.

Well, I wasnā€™t able to watch the game today against Cheat, but we were able to briefly lead by a point in the last three minutes of the game, collapsing and losing at the end as has become all too predictable. Postgame Cara stated the the team played their tails off and almost won the game, but that almost wasnā€™t good enough.
I like that last part.
As has been noted elsewhere, foul shots were 37-13. Even subtracting about 6 when were fouling intentionally in the last minute, thatā€™s a huge disparity. Iā€™m glad we donā€™t play in the ACC and have to visit them once a year because iā€™m sure the teams at the bottom of the league get the same officiating there that we did today.

1 Like