Cornbread on FNZ (nm)

[i]Originally posted by LalaNiner[/i]@Mar 16 2005, 11:18 AM [b] Cornbread is our marquee player, and despite his bravado talk on sports radio is actually pretty humble about his success. He was very surprised when folks wanted his bobble head, cheered him at graduation as the Distinguished Alumnus, and cheered on the 25th anniversary of the '77 final four team. I talked with him and he said he was surprised that people still remembered him.

As for donating to the University, I think he simply didnā€™t make the uber-cash that the pros now make. He still does color for the Celtics, and has done some of our games as well. Not to say that he hasnā€™t been negative in the past, but I do think that his bobblehead and the '77 team celebration have turned him around. I donā€™t think he is sitting on big bucks but supports the program in his own way.

Regardless he is our BIG name player, and how many of you say you are a 49er and folks all over the country say CORNBREAD. [/b]

Thanks for the information. Excellent points.

what other players have given money?

[i]Originally posted by moss2k[/i]@Mar 15 2005, 04:24 PM [b] I would love it if people didn't always complain when someone brings up that station [/b]
Word! :D
[i]Originally posted by Mr. Bojangles[/i]@Mar 15 2005, 06:05 PM [b] James Worthy was also on the show and said that he was a 49er fan growing up in Gastonia in the late 70's before he went to Carolina. [/b]
I remember watching a 10-grade Worthy and his Ashbrook teammates take on North Meck during my high school days back in the 70s. First time I ever saw anyone at that level dunk in a game. And, yes, it was James Worthy!
[b]. Him and another caller both lobbied for Lew Massey's jersey to hang in the rafters (I'm down with that). [/b]

Amen. The guy is the 2nd-leading scorer in school history and was on the 1977 team. He averaged 10 more points per game in 76-77 than Melvin Watkins, and Melvin has his jersey on the wall. Somebody stated that for a player to have his jersey retired they had to be mentioned on an All-America team of some kind. Iā€™ll put Lew on mine if it will get him on that wall.

Cornbread is the biggest icon this school and basketball program has, and possibly will ever have. Whatever ill feelings that exist between him and the university administration need to be fixed while the opportunity exists. I know 'Bread has a job in Boston, but I hope to one day see him sitting frequently in the seats at Halton much like The Big O does at Cincy games.

[i]Originally posted by X-49er[/i]@Mar 16 2005, 01:22 PM [b]
[b]. Him and another caller both lobbied for Lew Massey's jersey to hang in the rafters (I'm down with that). [/b]

Amen. The guy is the 2nd-leading scorer in school history and was on the 1977 team. He averaged 10 more points per game in 76-77 than Melvin Watkins, and Melvin has his jersey on the wall. Somebody stated that for a player to have his jersey retired they had to be mentioned on an All-America team of some kind. Iā€™ll put Lew on mine if it will get him on that wall.

Cornbread is the biggest icon this school and basketball program has, and possibly will ever have. Whatever ill feelings that exist between him and the university administration need to be fixed while the opportunity exists. I know 'Bread has a job in Boston, but I hope to one day see him sitting frequently in the seats at Halton much like The Big O does at Cincy games. [/b]

Very well said. I wholeheartedly agree.

[b]what other players have given money?[/b]

Henry Williams has financially supported the Niners for years. Of course he made a killing by playing overseas. One of the few players who didnā€™t make the NBA and actually probably came out better for it. He is the only one I know for sure that gives money, there are probably others.

Dink donated money for the locker room. Next time I go by it Iā€™ll find a list of the names.

[i]Originally posted by WastedNiner[/i]@Mar 16 2005, 02:07 PM [b]
[b]what other players have given money?[/b]

Henry Williams has financially supported the Niners for years. Of course he made a killing by playing overseas. One of the few players who didnā€™t make the NBA and actually probably came out better for it. He is the only one I know for sure that gives money, there are probably others. [/b]

Jack Bolly and his family are very supportive of the program.
I donā€™t know how much he gives(and I donā€™t care, it is his on personal business), but he is downstairs for the pregame before every home game.