We have come close to having potential viral outbreaks here - with shit way nastier than covid. I refuse to believe that it isn’t at least possible there.
May be legal but not sure it would go over too well. Maybe not ethical.
from left leaning:
Seems to agree with the review article I posted above. Cloth masks work well when in environments with lower viral exposure (e.g. shopping at a store or a room with decent ventilation or an outdoor event), and not as well in situations with high viral exposure (e.g. hospitals or multi-person offices with poor ventilation).
You were post 666. So it has been written
I agree with this article. The key issue for me has never been that it’s too risky for vaccinated people to be together with each other. The key is that unvaccinated people are likely to ignore the part of the guidelines that say they should keep taking precautions (and not just using masks, that’s just part of effective control, as the Science article above makes clear). The Vox article discusses this toward the end in the section: “The guidelines make sense in an idealized world. Do they make sense in the real world?”
Because of that, I’m not sure if it was the best public health announcement. But we’ll see what happens given many states are not only changing restrictions, but are also limiting precautions businesses can take. Hopefully we don’t see another rise in cases and deaths over the summer. It’s not great that the season where spread is worse in the southeast (when everyone retreats to air conditioning) coincides with the regions that are seeing lagging vaccination rates right now. But if this announcement gets more of those people to vaccinate, then it probably makes up for the potential downsides due to folks ignoring the guidelines.
Yeah the challenge is the people that aren’t getting vaccinated were also likely not wearing masks anyway. In fact requiring masks just was enabling them. At some point ya have to call the ball and move on. Personally and maybe callously, I don’t care if you get sick at this point. You have an avenue to get vaccinated and you have declined. I know some folks can’t get vaccinated for health reasons and for those folks - I am sorry but you get to stay home. Society can’t stay closed for you.
On the positive (I guess?) if you’ve been disregarding many of the protocols you’re more likely to have contracted the virus anyway. A good portion could have the old fashioned vaccine.
Or natural immunity. I pretty much never modified my behavior outside of the mask. My wife caught it but I never did. I am pretty sure I’m just immune.
That and what NWA mentions probably do lessen the impact of the guideline change. We’ll see. One thing to keep in mind is that the vaccine appears to be much better in protecting against new infections than having had the infection before, particularly with people that had mild cases the first time and with different variants. Those people would still be better off having gotten the vaccine, unless they plan to avoid exposure.
When you see that nuclear blast,
Don’t forget to Duck and Cover
And to also wear your mask!
A few weeks ago I saw an interview with a senior retired CDC leader and he discussed how close we’ve come to anthrax small pox and a few others getting out. In one instance while cleaning out a refrigerated room a researcher took unlabeled samples and carried them in a card board box like 6 block in DC. The glass containers klinging all the way. When they arrived one was broken and on was cracked. Luckily Neither of those were dangerous. He said that’s how easy it would be to occur. He said while China may not have released it on purpose he thought it was highly likely it was an accidental containment breach that China wouldn’t want to admit
That’s pretty much where I am now. Vaccines are available without appt now.
One of my employees got covid last week and has been out all week. None of my other employees are vaccinated for whatever reason, so I told him he couldn’t come to work. He asked if he was still getting paid for missed work and I was like dude, you chose not to get a vaccine, so no, you don’t get paid. This was like 99.4% preventable at this point.
Liberty
So if he got the vaccine and still got covid then he would get paid while out?