Curt makes final cut!!!

USA U21 Roster Set

PGs: Marcus Williams (UCONN), Rajon Rondo (Kentucky), and Mardy Collins (Temple)

SGs: JJ Reddick (Duke), Justin Gray (Wake), Rudy Gay (UCONN) and Allan Ray (Villanova)

Forwards: Curtis Withers (Charlotte), Glen Davis (LSU), Taj Gray (Okla), Terrance Roberts (Syracuse), and Nick Fazekas (Nevada)

Congrats to Curt! Here’s to the beginning of what, hopefully, is a magical Senior Season!

2k forgot to mention the 2nd most important part of the article:

[b]Martelli, in consultation with assistants Bruiser Flint (Drexel) and Dennis Felton (Georgia), as well as USA Basketball selection committee chair Jim Boeheim of Syracuse, cut [b]Memphis State pre-school point guard Darius Washington[/b][/b]

Boo stinkin’ hoo.

best news all morning

Great news!!! Curt is in and Washington out. Curt continues to improve and impress. Great accomplishment. Congrats.

Great news on Curt and the fact that the A-10 got two guys on the squad – Withers and Collins.

GO CW! GO A-10! GO USA!!!

WAY TO GO CURTIS!

[b]The stunner had to be Washington. Earlier in the tryouts, Washington was viewed as the leading point guard with his vocal nature, overall athleticism and ability to make the mid-range jump shot. He was assertive and looked like the player who would lead this team.

But, apparently, that all changed in the past few days.

“He ended up losing his focus,” Martelli said. “And there was enough of a concern as to whether or not he would maintain it over three weeks in tough situations. Like all of these guys I hope they use this as a motivation.”

A year ago, Team USA coach Kelvin Sampson cut North Carolina’s Rashad McCants, clearly one of the most talented players but Sampson and his staff felt like he didn’t fit on the team.[/b]

Can you imagine the spin from Coach Calimari and his fan club later today?

Looks like there should have been no doubt. Withers is looking rather stout!

http://usabasketball.com/men/2005/05_mu21_…ame1_story.html

[b]QUOTE The stunner had to be Washington. Earlier in the tryouts, Washington was viewed as the leading point guard with his vocal nature, overall athleticism and ability to make the mid-range jump shot. He was assertive and looked like the player who would lead this team.

But, apparently, that all changed in the past few days.

“He ended up losing his focus,” Martelli said. “And there was enough of a concern as to whether or not he would maintain it over three weeks in tough situations. Like all of these guys I hope they use this as a motivation.”

A year ago, Team USA coach Kelvin Sampson cut North Carolina’s Rashad McCants, clearly one of the most talented players but Sampson and his staff felt like he didn’t fit on the team.

Can you imagine the spin from Coach Calimari and his fan club later today? [/b]

I heard that they told him if he makes 3 free throws in a row he could be on the team…

Maybe Martelli will start Curt now after seeing this performance!

guys i don’t know if you realize this but he did start last year and basically was a shoe in to start this year. Sean May couldn’t guard a 7’2 guy. So curt and sean may switched up on defense and curt shut the dude down. In other words sean mays defense absolutely sucks and the bobcats waisted a pick. So curt is definitely force to be reckened with this year.

[i]Originally posted by dax[/i]@Jul 28 2005, 11:23 AM [b] guys i don't know if you realize this but he did start last year and basically was a shoe in to start this year. [/b]
So why didn't he start this game?

was buoyed to the win by Curtis Withers’ (Charlotte / Charlotte, N.C.) 22 points off the bench.

don’t know but he damn well showed everyone up. So it doesn’t really matter it might have been at his request that he didn’t start you never know.

Boxscore

All of that in 14 minutes. He also had 4 steals. Martelli split up playing time before selecting the team, according to the story.

And he hit all of his FTs as well!

Some Tiger High posters are already whining conspiracy and hating on Martelli:

Memphis-State fans = Crybaby bitches

Someone needs to go on there and remind them that Withers made the team.

WTF is this about?

Squid is one of the few quality Memphis fans. If that means he’s banned over there, that’s all I need to know.

Official announcement on Charlotte49ers.com:

Withers Makes U21 World Championship Team

From the Philadelphia Daily News…

[b]Yesterday, forward Curtis Withers from Charlotte, which is joining the Atlantic 10, had 22 points in just 14 minutes. Withers, Collins and La Salle's Steven Smith will start the season as the favorites for A-10 Player of the Year.[/b]
Link: [url=http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/12241700.htm]Philly in the house at world tourney[/url] [NOTE: requires site registration -- uses same e-mail/password as Charlotte.com]

Also nice mention of Withers-Collins A-10 connection at OwlSports.com:

[b]Temple senior Mardy Collins was named to the USA Basketball U21 Team as the squad’s roster was officially announced late Wednesday night. Collins is joined by Curtis Withers of Atlantic 10 Conference member school Charlotte and Allan Ray of city-rival Villanova.

Withers led the USA squad in scoring with 22 points on eight-of-10 shooting while Ray tallied just two points in the contest.[/b]

Link: Mardy Collins Named To USA Basketball U21 Team

Let’s see, Curt leads the US team with 22-points and this is the picture that SI.com uses!!! :o

U.S. Under-21 team makes final cuts