CUSA Spring Meetings underway in Florida

News to me I think Charlotte, Nashville, or Orlando would be much better sites for the CUSA basketball tournament.[/quote]

Nashville would be awesome. Charlotte basketball and honkey tonks, 2 great things.

News to me I think Charlotte, Nashville, or Orlando would be much better sites for the CUSA basketball tournament.[/quote]El Paso has supported the tournament better than many other locations in the past. UTEP should be one of the top teams in the league this year, so it wouldn’t shock me if average attendance is 7,000+

That’s for sure. Probably the 3rd best soccer conference last season behind the (old) Big East and ACC and right up there with (if not better than) the B1G. Plus, New Mexico (13) and ODU (28) are coming in as well so that makes it that much better.

News to me I think Charlotte, Nashville, or Orlando would be much better sites for the CUSA basketball tournament.[/quote]El Paso has supported the tournament better than many other locations in the past. UTEP should be one of the top teams in the league this year, so it wouldn’t shock me if average attendance is 7,000+[/quote]

I’d expect Charlotte to host the tournament within the next five years at the most. However, the Coliseum is probably better suited to host it rather than Halton (location, accessibility, parking, etc.).

News to me I think Charlotte, Nashville, or Orlando would be much better sites for the CUSA basketball tournament.[/quote]El Paso has supported the tournament better than many other locations in the past. UTEP should be one of the top teams in the league this year, so it wouldn’t shock me if average attendance is 7,000+[/quote]

I’d expect Charlotte to host the tournament within the next five years at the most. However, the Coliseum is probably better suited to host it rather than Halton (location, accessibility, parking, etc.).[/quote]

Agree. And I think the coliseum’s downtown location is a drawing card.

I’d expect Charlotte to host the tournament within the next five years at the most. However, the Coliseum is probably better suited to host it rather than Halton (location, accessibility, parking, etc.).[/quote]

Agree. And I think the coliseum’s downtown location is a drawing card.[/quote]

The tourny isn’t coming to Charlotte until we can find sponsors and I don’t have too much faith in either our AD’s desire to do that or their ability. Location, facilities, etc - none of that matters if we can’t line up sponsors.

[font=georgia][size=14px]One part of the format had previously been decided - all teams will play each other once, and will play a “travel partner” home and home. This week, Marshall’s travel partner was changed to North Carolina-Charlotte, closer than previously named Old Dominion.[/size][/font]

[font=georgia][size=14px]MU athletic director Mike Hamrick approved.[/size][/font]

[font=georgia][size=14px]“Charlotte is a much better travel partner,” he said. “With our big alumni base there and the fact we have a Big Green event there, I feel good about it.”[/size][/font]

[font=georgia][size=14px]http://www.wvgazette.com/Sports/Marshall/201305150289[/size][/font]

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:27, topic:27780”][font=georgia][size=14px]One part of the format had previously been decided - all teams will play each other once, and will play a “travel partner” home and home. This week, Marshall’s travel partner was changed to North Carolina-Charlotte, closer than previously named Old Dominion.[/size][/font]

[font=georgia][size=14px]MU athletic director Mike Hamrick approved.[/size][/font]

[font=georgia][size=14px]“Charlotte is a much better travel partner,” he said. “With our big alumni base there and the fact we have a Big Green event there, I feel good about it.”[/size][/font]
[font=georgia][size=14px]http://www.wvgazette.com/Sports/Marshall/201305150289[/size][/font][/quote]

This is better for Marshall, and I like the idea of having a visiting fan base providing some buzz in Charlotte to be honest.

Selfishly, I wish it had been ODU, as I could get to the away games easier, now that UR is no longer on the schedule with the conference move.

[quote=“CharSFNiners, post:28, topic:27780”][quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:27, topic:27780”][font=georgia][size=14px]One part of the format had previously been decided - all teams will play each other once, and will play a “travel partner” home and home. This week, Marshall’s travel partner was changed to North Carolina-Charlotte, closer than previously named Old Dominion.[/size][/font]

[font=georgia][size=14px]http://www.wvgazette.com/Sports/Marshall/201305150289[/size][/font][/quote]

This is better for Marshall, and I like the idea of having a visiting fan base providing some buzz in Charlotte to be honest.

Selfishly, I wish it had been ODU, as I could get to the away games easier, now that UR is no longer on the schedule with the conference move.[/quote]

I think this will change after East Carolina leaves and Western Kentucky joins, Old Dominion would be a geographical outlier. The point of having travel partners is only having to schedule a flight into location 1, bus to location 2 and flight out of location 2. It would make sense for us to take ODU off of ECU’s hands and WKU taking Marshall off of ours.

So you’re saying we would fly to ODU then bus to Marshall, then fly out of Marshall? Wha?

No. lets say this season, with Marshall as our travel partner. We will play them twice. On most any other weekend Marshall and Charlotte would play the same two teams. Hypothetically:

The Thursday night games would be Charlotte at UTSA and Marshall at Rice.
Charlotte would fly to San Antonio Wednesday, play there Thursday and then get on bus to Houston that night or next morning. >Marshall would fly to Houston Wednesday, play Rice on Thursday and take bus to San Antonio that night or next morning.
The Saturday night games would be Charlotte at Rice and Marshall at UTSA
Both teams fly home from 2nd location on Sunday/

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:27, topic:27780”][font=georgia][size=14px]One part of the format had previously been decided - all teams will play each other once, and will play a “travel partner” home and home. This week, Marshall’s travel partner was changed to North Carolina-Charlotte, closer than previously named Old Dominion.[/size][/font]

That’s gonna be A LOT of GREEN in the STANDS when we play each other, as will be N. Texas, and UAB… I did like being the only green team in A10… but as long as we differentiate our uni’s should be fine and will look good on TV for whoever is hosting as long as people are in the stands…

[quote=“BleEDgreen49er, post:32, topic:27780”][quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:27, topic:27780”][font=georgia][size=14px]One part of the format had previously been decided - all teams will play each other once, and will play a “travel partner” home and home. This week, Marshall’s travel partner was changed to North Carolina-Charlotte, closer than previously named Old Dominion.[/size][/font]

That’s gonna be A LOT of GREEN in the STANDS when we play each other, as will be N. Texas, and UAB… I did like being the only green team in A10… but as long as we differentiate our uni’s should be fine and will look good on TV for whoever is hosting as long as people are in the stands…[/quote]Green and Blue are the colors of CUSA it seems. Only USM and WKU do not have green or blue in their school colors.

No. lets say this season, with Marshall as our travel partner. We will play them twice. On most any other weekend Marshall and Charlotte would play the same two teams. Hypothetically:

The Thursday night games would be Charlotte at UTSA and Marshall at Rice.
Charlotte would fly to San Antonio Wednesday, play there Thursday and then get on bus to Houston that night or next morning. >Marshall would fly to Houston Wednesday, play Rice on Thursday and take bus to San Antonio that night or next morning.
The Saturday night games would be Charlotte at Rice and Marshall at UTSA
Both teams fly home from 2nd location on Sunday/[/quote]

Perfecto!

[quote=“BleEDgreen49er, post:32, topic:27780”][quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:27, topic:27780”][font=georgia][size=14px]One part of the format had previously been decided - all teams will play each other once, and will play a “travel partner” home and home. This week, Marshall’s travel partner was changed to North Carolina-Charlotte, closer than previously named Old Dominion.[/size][/font]

That’s gonna be A LOT of GREEN in the STANDS when we play each other, as will be N. Texas, and UAB… I did like being the only green team in A10… but as long as we differentiate our uni’s should be fine and will look good on TV for whoever is hosting as long as people are in the stands…[/quote]

Yea, and I’m looking forward to the official uniforms getting released so I can get the “real” green on all my gear :slight_smile:

News to me I think Charlotte, Nashville, or Orlando would be much better sites for the CUSA basketball tournament.[/quote]Announced last June and posted in another thread in this forum. Anyway, it was all part of the fallout when Memphis announced it was joining the Big East (now AAC). League decided to “punish” the Tigers by taking away the 2013 men’s hoops tourney and giving it to Tulsa. At the same time, C-USA announced that 2014 would be in El Paso. Definitely agree that the southwestern most corner of Texas is a long haul, but I suppose the league is “guessing” the Miners will be the team to beat next season.