Cutting the Cord

I only pay for “cable” during basketball season. Either YTTV or Sling. No way I watch it any other time of year enough to justify the cost. Now that HBO is included with att I don’t even need to pay for streaming during the summer months.

I rarely even go to the ESPN website much less watch the feed other than ESPN+. Maybe the conference change will dictate more viewing of the base networks they offer.

Biggest drawback for Fubo TV is it does not have TNT or TBS, so cannot watch March Madness games on those channels. My father in law is also paying $94 a month now that they added a regional sports fee.

https://twitter.com/CordCuttersNews/status/1722365120615989388

ESPN reportedly gets, on average $9.42 from each cable TV subscriber. Now it is being reported that Disney may need to charge subscribers to its standalone service $22 a month according to reports for experts.

Moving to streaming will likely mean ESPN will need to charge more as many people who pay for ESPN don’t watch it. $22 could be a price you may expect depending on if ESPN+ is included etc.

clt ain’t paying $22 for screamin a smith

Cutting the cord has been like cutting a fart. It’s easy and usually satisfying

I’m way behind the times, but we just cut the cord a couple weeks ago. Kid likes NFL so we got Paramount + and Peacock to satisfy that craving. P+ also works for soccer, so , so far so good. I’m not missing all those cable channels I never watched.

This streaming player is a joint effort with Charter’s Spectrum

The problem comes with the built-in monthly fees.These boxes will cost $5 a month with an additional one-time $15 activation fee. Customers are also limited to three devices per account. So, if you own more than three TVs, you will need to purchase a different streaming player for the other TVs. Unlike with Spectrum, there doesn’t seem to be an option to buy the box and not pay the monthly fee. Comcast says if you stop paying for these boxes you must return them to Comcast.

Just when you start feeling nostalgic for the simplicity of cable, you remember what money grubbing control freak dickheads these companies are.

I wonder what Spectrum’s outright purchase fee will be?

Never understood the hatred for Spectrum. I have had them since the 90s for cable and internet since early 2000s. Great service on both, super reliable, zero complaints. I get hundreds of channels, including extra sports channels, fast internet, everything we need for a very reasonable rate.

1 Like

Overpriced, asynchronous (this gets overlooked tremendously- who cares what your DL speed if your upload speed is 10% of that), constantly changing prices so that you have to haggle with them, they compress their TV streams severely reducing quality, and you share a line with everyone on your hub so that during peak hours it slows even more.

My first Google Fiber bill for 1 Gb/s Down and 1 GB/s Up Fiber was… $70.

My bill for that same service 8 years later? $70.

It is that speed no matter the time of day or how many of my neighbors are online, and whether I’m uploading or downloading. And I can upgrade to like 8Gb/s soon if I’m so inclined (I’m not, its overkill - my household uses the hell out of our connection and it never struggles).

Every single friend and family member I know that cares about the topic in general and doesnt currently have access to a Fiber connection would switch in an instant if they could.

And Spectrum also pulls shit like jacking their prices when they know you have no options, which is why a family member of mine that relocated to Salisbury pays the same for cable + internet as I do for YTTV + Google Fiber, despite his much slower internet service constantly slowing down even more, frequently going out, with a worse TV picture and far fewer and less robust TV options as I have (unlimited DVR? On Spectrum??? Hahahaha Never).

I think you need to try to see how the other side lives. My only complaint about Google’s services is that YTTV is now overpriced, but then again so is nearly every cable or cable replacement package. Those are probably going away in the next 10 years though.

1 Like

Omg, and I forgot cable boxes. How could I??

Does spectrum still require all those awful boxes for their TV service? And you have to rent them??

How about their internet? What equipment do you have to rent from them?

For Google Fiber I have zero equipment. Zero. I run a standard Ethernet cable directly from my FiberJack in one room, directly to one ofmy 2 DECO wifi 6 units, the one I have designated as the primary router, and that’s it. Done. I have whole house super fast internet with that little equipment and I don’t have to rent anything.

I make it even faster by using good ole Spectrum’s existing cable lines in my walls as a wired backhaul channel for my 2 wifi pods via MOCA adapters. Sounds like a lot but it’s 2 more small plug & play boxes that I bought once, years ago, plugged in, and haven’t touched since.

My connection is so clean and fast that my son wins video games tournaments playing on a wifi connection, which any gamer will tell you is nuts. (His connection is better than a lot of wired connections, no packet loss, super low latency / ping, high bandwidth).

And let me say that my vitriol is towards Spectrum, not you UvilleNiner. They earned it from me. My experiences with them were nothing but frustration for years. And at this point, even with YTTV’s price being jacked up I am still paying less combined for internet + cable than I was ever able to negotiate for on my own with TWC / spectrum. And that’s despite a massive upgrade in speed and quality of service.

clt has two fiber options at the street. att has performed well, $70 mo for 1Gb

1 Like

Dude…you wrote a book.i have no issues with spectrum but i admit i couldn’t give 2 $hits about milliseconds on video games since im not 14. Also, the “equipment” i “rent” is included in the rate i noted…also, my rate hasnt budged in a decade or more.

I hate spectrum. Hate.

1 Like

With ATT my concern is always that they’ll jack up prices or make you sign contracts. If they don’t, they should be awesome too.

It’s not about milliseconds. It’s about load.

On a given week night, I might have 2 kids gaming, an active work connection (I never really sign off), me watching a movie or a game, and my wife watching a movie or show, plus a host of other internet connected devices (home security system, etc). On Spectrum I couldn’t do even half of that, and even when I tried to do half it CRAWLED. And I spent to upgraded my gear to the fastest stuff they supported.

And. It. Aways. Sucked.

Out of curiosity, what’s this low, non promotional price you are paying for Spectrum Cable + Internet?

Google’s prices are easy to find. Their non promotional price is $70 for internet and $65 for YTTV.

I bet you aren’t paying any less than that unless you are on some temporary promotion pricing, and I bet your Internet is slower and less reliable, your TV picture is compressed /inferior, and your features are far less. Plus you have to deal with all those archaic shitty boxes.

I just checked, and keeping it as cheap as I could without signing up for promos, in the city limits you can get a comparable TV package for $65 a month plus $65 for "up to 1GB internet (never close to that fast) + taxes and fees… You have to play all kinds of temporary pricing games to beat that or sign up for auto draft.

I know older folks like us don’t like change but you really should look into it. Especially in this age of smart TVs. If you have smart TVs you literally need no equipment for Google Fiber other than a Wi-Fi router. That’s it. No cables or boxes or any of that bullshit. Put a TV anywhere you want, even outside.

clt says bring your tailgate TV in the yard and stream off of your phone hotspot

pound beers and watch joe flacco

I have 3 smart tvs…we have had zero issues with lots of use. My now 25 year old son was a big gamer here a few years ago when he was home from school. no issues, no complaints,. I get it… you hate spectrum but your opinion is just that. Doesn’t make it a fact.

No, my posts were full of facts. My hatred is based on experience.

It’s an inferior product charging as much as they can get away with, and situationally to boot.

…throw pick sixes…