Dante Cunningham - 2005

Well, according to Rivals.com, we just lost Cunningham to Villanova. Came down to Nova, Charlotte and Maryland. He visited there this past weekend. Said he felt it was the right place. Gave a verbal 10/5. :frowning:

AAGGGHHHH

From the Philadelphia Inquirer:

[b]Posted on Wed, Oct. 06, 2004

Forward says he’ll attend 'Nova in '05

By Kevin Tatum
Inquirer Staff Writer

Dante Cunningham, a 6-foot-7 senior forward for the St. John’s College High School basketball team in Washington, said last night he will attend Villanova.

Cunningham, who averaged 10 points and six rebounds for a St. John’s squad that went 20-8 during his junior season, also had Maryland and Charlotte among his final three choices. He visited Villanova last weekend.

“The coaches and the players at Villanova made me feel like I’m part of the team,” the 17-year-old Cunningham said. “I’m real confident in the coaches and players there. I wanted to get this out of the way. I just want to play my senior year and let everything go.”

Cunningham said he has yet to take the SAT, but that he expects to be eligible to play. Under NCAA rules, Villanova coach Jay Wright is unable to comment on potential recruits until they sign a letter of intent. Next month marks the beginning of the signing period.[/b]

Link: Philly.com

After his verbal to Nova, here was Hoop Scoop’s assessment…they weren’t that impressed (exeept from the teams that offered)…

Our Philadelphia/Eastern Pennsylvania/South Jersey Editor Allen Rubin tells us that 6’7 Dante Cunningham from Washington (St. John’s) DC, who is ranked #157 nationally in the senior class by the HOOP SCOOP, has verbally committed to Villanova. And this is interesting, because Cunningham plays a similar position to 6’7 Shane Clark from Chatham (Hargrave Military) VA, who committed to Villanova over a year ago, but recently reneged on the Wildcats. However, Cunningham doesn’t shoot as well as Clark does nor does he do anything else on the perimeter as well as Clark. As a matter of fact, we don’t think Cunningham has a true position, because he’s not big and strong enough to play inside nor does he have the skills necessary to be a wing forward at the big time level. But schools like Maryland, Pittsburgh, and Charlotte, who were the other three finalists on Cunningham’s list, apparently don’t agree. Maybe they know that Cunningham, who has big time athleticism and a size 19-shoe, is expected to grow several more inches. And, if he does, then all bets are off.

[i]Originally posted by 49erblh[/i]@Oct 11 2004, 07:00 PM [b] After his verbal to Nova, here was Hoop Scoop's assessment...they weren't that impressed (exeept from the teams that offered)...

[/b]

Athlon had Cunningham listed about 160th. Mullis (2005 Niner) is listed at 197. Mullis is 6’7". Sounds like Cunningham has more upside based on his projected height. Mullis will be a nice role player for us.

More proof that our staff is great at scouting talent. Apparently this guy will turn out as eventual Big East 1st team type guy, apparently ended up best player in DC metro last year. We were in his final 2.