David Ortiz is my hero

I so loathe the Yankees. I know it’d be a miracle, but I sure would love to see a come back from a 0-3 hole in this series.

If my Braves had a clutch hitter like Ortiz, we’d be golden. But for now, GO SOX!

He’s amazing. It’s a long shot, but it’s not impossible.
The Red Sox have mo, and they can play loose now. Yankees have to worry now about the greatest collapse ever.

Beltran aint too bad either.

Or is the NL taboo around here?

Beltran = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :blink:

Beltran will be a Yankee employee next year. Thanks Bud Selig!!! Maybe next time the MLB owners will take the drastic measures the NHL owners have to correct the inequities in the MLB economic system. Salary cap, anyone?

I’m defacto NL (Reds) but it’s all about defeating the evil empire.
I hate the Cardinals because they are a division rival, and I hate the Dodgers because they’re LA.

X, I would love to see a salary cap (I know it would hurt my Bo Sox) but it would be to the benefit of the game. I would also like to see a salary floor put into work. I know some of these teams out there can spend more than they are!!

[b]I would also like to see a salary floor put into work. I know some of these teams out there can spend more than they are!! [/b]

I agree that there are teams that don’t spend what they “could”, but if you realistically still have no chance to make the playoffs if you were to spend that money, why spend the extra $10-$20 million (e.g. Orioles)? I think the salary cap would solve most of the issues and the “floor” wouldn’t be a problem with a cap in place. None of the the NBA or NFL teams are ever far below the cap. The reason is pretty simple: except for a select few, every team in each league has a realistic shot to make the playoffs when the season starts. People will come to games if their team has a chance, and the franchise can make more money when they’re in the hunt. Make more, spend more. With baseball, there are at most half of the teams that have a chance to make the postseason when the regular season starts. Fans aren’t going to show up. Revenue and profit will be down, and those owners aren’t buying a few extra free agents just to wind up losing anyway. Baseball used to be my first love when it came to sports, but it has already slid into into 2nd, and will slide further if they don’t fix the economic system. I’m tired of watching the Yankees buy the two best free agents available every year, and in turn a trip to the postseason.

X, that is the reason I won’t cheer the small market upstarts. I wanna stick it to the evil empire pretty bad, but I want the inequities to be spotlighted more. Unfortunately though, baseball has had a LONG history of big market teams feeding off of small ones. You can go back all the way to the early St Louis team when they were operated as a defacto farm club for the big boys in NYC. It’s been that way so long, I’m not sure it’ll ever change. Still, I cant root for KC or Oakland or any of the other “small market” teams, because Steinbrenner and Selig will just use that as an example of the system still working, though these teams are succeeding in spite of it, not because of it.

Oh yeah, and go NL. For no other reason than I like NL ball much better.

[b]Still, I cant root for KC or Oakland or any of the other "small market" teams, because Steinbrenner and Selig will just use that as an example of the system still working, though these teams are succeeding in spite of it, not because of it[/b]

Very true. Florida taking the Series last year didn’t help things, either. Oakland can hang in there because they have the best GM in baseball, despite the small market. Boston has one of Billy Bean’s prodigies as their GM now, but it’s a lot easier to look like a genius when you can spend double what your competitor does.

[i]Originally posted by NinerAdvocate[/i]@Oct 19 2004, 12:51 PM [b] Oh yeah, and go NL. For no other reason than I like NL ball much better. [/b]
Indeed. Whoever thought up the designated hitter should be flogged without mercy.