David Scott calling out fans

My wife mentioned fatigue and routine too. You do three in a row right off the bat, fatigue sets in, then you don’t establish a nice, spaced out routine for games over the season. Growing pains I guess.

I’d rather not have 3 in a row like this year, but back to back home games are to be expected. Hell, the upper P5 are trying to find ways to have 8 home games.

People also worship those schools like a religion. People on the outside look at us like “cute lil ole UNCC.” It’s not the same thing. We have accomplished nothing to try to act like its the same thing either.

At the risk of promoting irresponsible behavior, I want our students enjoying pre-game cocktails. That is tailgating. I would prefer they not puke on the grass in front of other people, and if they can’t manage to hold onto their cookies then they need to be moved. Perhaps they need to learn to moderate their drunkenness. And when I was in school we did wear sports coats to games–it really helped us to hide the pint of bourbon we were bringing in.

I think the student tailgate needs to be moved back to the grass lot, but renting some fencing or even running
tall banners for that area wouldn’t be a bad idea either.

2 Likes

A long tent or two with a sidewall paralleling Niner Way would be effective at hiding the rowdiness.

On second thought, this article really angers me.

We literally stage a revolt that gets national attention and he barely bats an eye, (AFTER AN ARTICLE EXPOSING BOTH SIDES OF A ONE SIDED ISSUE WITH A FAKE ALUM) but we don’t show up to 3-4 football and a lame duck head coach and he gets his panties in a bunch?

Can we get somebody that is not openly cynical to the university and alums?

Edit: meanwhile he hyms and haws about appalachian, and they get 200 people at a freaking basketball game. We’ve been through 15 years of total suckage and still average 4000 at hoops. What gives David? And YOU act like the fans are the problem? Give our university a fair shake and maybe we don’t get treated like an after thought. We could barely get an article about the shortcomings of Judy. DO YOUR JOB.

1 Like

David’s right to call the fans out. With that said, last year particularly really killed any confidence our fans might have had remaining in Lambert. I see both sides of it. The team has been much better this year, particularly at home and frankly deserves better support.

Now, if we beat Marshall or Tennessee, the place needs to be full for the FIU game no matter what you think about Lambert.

I can’t agree with not wanting the team to go bowling. I know 2 more wins probably save Lamberts job but the benefit from us going to a bowl game outweighs any dislike I have for Lambert. If that makes me a bad fan then oh well.

I want a new head coach, and I do not see Lambert getting two more wins, but in all fairness if he can win 6 or more he has done all I think he can to make his case for having us on the right track. If he can win 6 and keep the two OCs on staff for next year then there should be a conversation about another year. That doesn’t excite me, and I do not think it positions us well to compete for conference championships, but I also think if he was told to step it up or clean out his desk, then he probably stepped it up.

When I went to games and saw the students partying it up, it gave me hope for the long-term success of the program. This is how fans get created. I think they need to help the students not get too far gone beforehand. They can do that by having plenty of water available and opening the area for a party afterwards. When I went to a UT game many years ago, we did more partying after the game than we did before. Once the game started at Charlotte they would close the tailgating area to the students. You have to give them a reason to enter the stadium (wins) and a reason to stay the entire game (After Party). If you can get the students to go that is your crazy loud side of the fan base.

5 Likes

I love this idea. While we will occasionally tailgate for a hot minute after a game, it’s a phenomenal idea for students to have a dedicated after party. Get em in the stadium for 3 hours (where they will sober up) and then have the party after. You could even require them to scan their ticket in by a certain time and then give out after party entry tickets at the end of the game or something.

Give them extra 49er Club points for both the Tailgate and the after party.

You guys are ignoring the fact that phil doesn’t want our students near the stadium because he doesn’t like to look at them.

1 Like

Why would a better conference want Charlotte if our fans don’t even show up full force to football/basketball games?

Why would they want Tulane?

Mardi Gras?

Tulane was already connected to many of those schools, plus, academically they are very strong. Their new football stadium didn’t hurt either.

And attendance is dropping nationally and I am sure that is part of it.

I wpulsnt even say we were completely non competitige against app. We looked like we belonged in the first half. We were clearly an inferior team but it wasn’t anything like the middle beat down a few years ago. It sucked to lose to them but I wasnt ashamed of our performance.

1 Like