David Scott calling out fans

A better conference may not want us, which is why I suggested restructuring conferences. Which is a thread all to itā€™s own.

Itā€™s not an easy fix right now. Most universities have the same issues. You suck, no one cares. You suck and play schools no one cares aboutā€¦you get 4000 people at a football game. Hereā€™s a question: would you rather be great in a crappy conference, or bad in a great conference? Iā€™ll take bad in a great conference. Think Vandy students/alums care about getting smoked by Bama? Doubt it. But I sure as hell would show up to see if we pull an upset. Iā€™m not showing up to see UTSA. Sorry.

1 Like

Where David Scott, Gerry V, and other fanbases get it wrong is treating us as a university that has never done anything good on an athletic field. In reality the situation is much worse.

Every student/fan/alum of Charlotte sees that final four banner and knows what we are capable of. Problem is we havenā€™t even been in the ballpark of that kind of success in almost two decades.

People donā€™t show up because they expect better than .500 here, and thatā€™s okay with me.

1 Like

Could you put them on the tennis courts? Controls access, you can hose it down, weather not an issue, kind of blocked from view.

Exactly. They suck at everuthing and are in a smaller market with little history.

TESTIES

I wouldnā€™t quite agree with you. I graduated in 2011. I know for a fact that none of my buddies in school had any idea we ever made a final 4 appearance. And for kids in school today, who were born in the very late 90ā€™s or early 00ā€™s, a single Final 4 appearance in 1977 may as well be a national title awarded by a newspaper from 1934.

I agree with that zero. Iā€™m old to college kids and I wasnā€™t even alive in 77.

I was born in 77 and graduated in 2000. I didnā€™t know we went to the final four until after I had went to school there and saw the banner.

College basketball was about as different then as the kids themselves. It is extremely hard to relate to.

We have had quite a bit of success since 1977. Unfortunately I think most of our fans come exclusively from alumni compared to ACC schools who have thousands of fans who have never taken a college class. If we had better local coverage & some strong regional rivalries I think we could generate more excitement for our sports teams. Of course we need to win too.

I would rather be Boise State than Vanderbilt. Boise State competes for conference championships every season and allows you to have pride in your program. Vanderbilt is a constant loser than may upset a conference team once in a blue moon.

1 Like

Wait until the P5 break off into their own organization (non NCAA), and Vandy may never again win more than 2 football games in a year.

I am holding out for a new and improved metroā€¦

Louisville, Ga Tech, Memphis, Florida State, Va Tech, Charlotte, Tulane, Sou. Miss, Cincinnati, South Carolina, UAB and South Florida.

1 Like

That would be sooooo nice !

I think ship has sailed on some of those but Memphis USF UAB UCF Sincy Tulane etc I think Iā€™d legit.

Crazy thing is most of those (bolded teams) actually were in the Metro or CUSA 1.0 along with us

Louisville, Ga Tech, Memphis, Florida State, Va Tech, Charlotte, Tulane, Sou. Miss, Cincinnati, South Carolina, UAB and South Florida.

That is why I called it the improved Metro.

I think Hill has about a decade at the most to move us up to a big money league or we will have to bust up the smaller conferences and play regionally. The writing is clear that the money in sports is drying up. The limited funds will go to the big conferences if they donā€™t combine in one big super league. Whatā€™s left over will be driven primarily by student funds. There will be a lot of teams that go away because in about a decade college enrollment will be down as well.

Iā€™d love to hear what Mike Hill thinks about the Observer article.

Maybe we can get him to join the chat pages and tell us

If Iā€™m mike hill, I look at like this. Conference change isnā€™t happening for awhile. Unless a bunch of University presidents get together and realize regional conferences, in the age of P5, is the only way for sustainable interest to continue.

If that doesnā€™t happen, which I donā€™t think it will, push all your chips into MBB. IMO, that has a higher ceiling than FB. Dominate CUSA. Mix in a rebrand, upgrades in facilities (Halton) and call it a day. FB is too young to cause a significant change during his tenure.