Davidson back to reality: Curry gone

DO NOT UNDERSTAND HIS DECISION? Not unhappy with it from our standpoint, but his decision is totally against everything he, his family and Davidson stands for. Staying in school and getting an education is what all parents want for their children. If he were a kid from a poor family and needed the money, it would be understandable. If going out this year versus next year would be the difference in him getting a pro contract or not, it would be understandable. But he is not going to be one of the highest picks this year and whether he makes more dollars by going out this year versus next year is not going to seriously affect him or his families finances. His long term career is NOT going to be in professional basketball but probably as a banker in Charlotte! Seems to me to be a total EGO TRIP on his part.

That’s ridiculous.

The point of college is to get you a good job. Well, he is going to get one.

Who cares about his family’s finances? Guys like Stephen want to play against the best competition out there. This was the best decision he could have made. He probably should have come out last year. I think this one-year rule is dumb. If you’re good enough to go pro, you absolutely should.

Sure, he probably should have gone out after his freshman year just like Rodney White. Get a grip. Stephan Curry is NOT going to be an all star pro. And if all he wanted is to play against the best comepetition out there, he would not have stayed at Davidson for three years in the Southern Conference but transfered to a basketball power like his brother just did going to Duke.

Sure, he probably should have gone out after his freshman year just like Rodney White. Get a grip. Stephan Curry is NOT going to be an all star pro. And if all he wanted is to play against the best comepetition out there, he would not have stayed at Davidson for three years in the Southern Conference but transfered to a basketball power like his brother just did going to Duke.

I think people miss the boat big time on all of this leaving early stuff.

Curry will be a Top 20 pick, probably somewhere between 10-20. That means he will make between $1-2 million each year for up to 4 years (team option on 3rd and 4th year).

The average starting salary for a graduate with a Bachelor’s degree is probably in the $40k range.

Stay in school??? [SIZE=6]LETS BE SERIOUS[/SIZE]

And you are saying he COULD NOT go pro next year after graduation, but ONLY this Year? And you should do a little research on the percentage of players that go pro last more than a couple years and or have LONG TERM careers.

And you are saying he COULD NOT go pro next year after graduation, but ONLY this Year?

Who is to say that his stock doesn’t drop by next year’s draft?

Who says he doesn’t get hurt?

You have to go when you are hot, you can always take classes in the summer or online if the degree is that important to you.

Terrence Morris of Maryland was going to be a top 5 pick after his sophomore year. He decided to stay and after his senior year he was a 2nd round pick. He cost himself millions of dollars.

The longer you are a big name player in college the most holes they will find in your game, which makes your stock drop. Tyler Hansborough would have been a top 15 pick 2 years ago, now he will be lucky to be selected in the first round.

[QUOTE=49timesthelovin;403653]That’s ridiculous.

The point of college is to get you a good job. [/QUOTE]

um, excuse me, the point of college is to drink and pursue attractive women

We’re talking about Stephan Curry not Lebron James or even Tyler Hansborough. His future life is NOT, I repeat NOT long term in the pro’s. I’m Tired now. I’m old. I’m going to take a nap!

We're talking about Stephan Curry not Lebron James or even Tyler Hansborough. His future life is NOT, I repeat NOT long term in the pro's. I'm Tired now. I'm old. I'm going to take a nap!

You think he is going to be selected in the Top 20 for ****s & Giggles?

The guy is going to have an NBA career, deal with it.

It’s going to be interesting to see what happens. If he can play the PG I think he’ll have more success. I don’t know if he can play it at the pro level though. Dell and Reggie Miller are the best comparisons but I believe Dell was 6’6" and Reggie was 6’7".

[QUOTE=hky49er;403674]We’re talking about Stephan Curry not Lebron James [B]or even Tyler Hansborough[/B]. His future life is NOT, I repeat NOT long term in the pro’s. I’m Tired now. I’m old. I’m going to take a nap![/QUOTE]
:huh:

Stephen Curry will be ten times the pro that Hansbaby will be.

...Curry will be a Top 20 pick, probably somewhere between 10-20.

I just saw Skip Bayless and some other guy discussing the Curry topic on ESPN and both said he should go #2 at worse behind Griffin. The other guy (looked like Steven A. Smith’s younger brother) said he would take him #1 overall. They think he is a no-brainer star. I wouldn’t have believed it if I hadn’t seen it myself.

Seriously.

I think the kid has a chance to be good…but to be a #1/#2 overall pick with “Guaranteed Star” type of talk…come on.

I wonder if the Southern Conference will want to revisit the tournament moving to Charlotte next season due to his departure.

Doubt it. Most SoCon schools like it b/c of the central location. I think it’ll still be a well attended event without Curry.

His size? He's ~6'3 which is a decent enough height for a point guard, possibly shooting guard. He's predicted to play PG in the NBA. His strength is lacking, but he'll improve that in training camps I'm sure. While DJ Augustin is stronger and more athletic, he's also 6'0 and is a great 6 man for the bobcats, not limited by size. Not to mention, Curry dominated competition for the most part on a team where he was 75% of the threat- it's not like he was on a Duke team like Reddick who some people compare him to. I'm not saying he'll put up 20 a game, but he will do pretty well on a team where he's not facing 2 man coverage every game. Just being realistic :dunno:

I do hope we play Davidson next year though! This year, I’m really not upset we didn’t.

We’ve had the Redick debate. You can look at it both ways. Redick had better scoring options as teammates and played against better defenders, yet still put up 27 ppg. Curry may not have gotten as many minutes or FG opportunities at a bigger program.

My opinion… Personally, I don’t give a rat’s ass if he starts in the NBA or not. He’s gone. Davidson is back to reality. End of story.

The point of college is to get you a good job. Well, he is going to get one.

That’s debatable.
-Oh wait we already did that :tongue:

[QUOTE=Charlotte2002;403671]Who is to say that his stock doesn’t drop by next year’s draft?

Who says he doesn’t get hurt?

You have to go when you are hot, you can always take classes in the summer or online if the degree is that important to you.

[/QUOTE]

IMO his stock has dropped some since last year and if he stayed it would definitely drop. Having Richards on the team his soph year made him look great.

IMO his stock has dropped some since last year and if he stayed it would definitely drop. Having Richards on the team his soph year made him look great.

Agreed.

As a pro he could be like a Chris Jackson type of player.

Guys with his shot making ability and BBall IQ have long careers in the NBA.

My opinion.............. Personally, I don't give a rat's ass if he starts in the NBA or not. He's gone. Davidson is back to reality. End of story.

QFT

I can't see sixth man b/c of his size. There are people that are just as athletic as him and talented that don't even see significant playing time off the bench.

Don’t just make comparisons to “people,” name names. Teams don’t use lottery picks on guys to have them ride the end of the bench.

[QUOTE=TRLeader;403685]I just saw Skip Bayless and some other guy discussing the Curry topic on ESPN and both said he should go #2 at worse behind Griffin. The other guy (looked like Steven A. Smith’s younger brother) said he would take him #1 overall. They think he is a no-brainer star. I wouldn’t have believed it if I hadn’t seen it myself.

Seriously.

I think the kid has a chance to be good…but to be a #1/#2 overall pick with “Guaranteed Star” type of talk…come on.[/QUOTE]

I hate listening to those guys. They don’t know ****