Davidson discussion

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/mens-basketball/article11398274.html

During David Scott’s weekly check-in with ESPN 730 yesterday, the time devoted to the Niners was minimal. Majority of comments were devoted to Davidson and A-10, followed by golf - Presidents Cup and Quail Hollow. So we’ve become an afterthought on a weekly Friday segment that began as exclusively a discussion of Niner hoops!

During David Scott’s weekly check-in with ESPN 730 yesterday, the time devoted to the Niners was minimal. Majority of comments were devoted to Davidson and A-10, followed by golf - Presidents Cup and Quail Hollow. So we’ve become an afterthought on a weekly Friday segment that began as exclusively a discussion of Niner hoops![/quote]

At this point in time, I am more ok with us being an afterthought than I used to be. IMO, Davidson has passed us as a program, both in quality of play and also with the conference they are in. Sadly, they may be out-drawing us in number of non-students attending their home basketball games. They have always done a good job in appealing to the community to support their games. I know numerous fans that support Davidson basketball, and none of them went to school there.

I always criticized the O for their attempts at preventing local interest in 49er basketball during our CUSA-1 years, but there is not much for them to write about now.

Watching WSU v UNI, and just wondering how many of the UNI kids would even get a passing LOOK from AM? Yeah.

Go NINERS! Please!?

During David Scott’s weekly check-in with ESPN 730 yesterday, the time devoted to the Niners was minimal. Majority of comments were devoted to Davidson and A-10, followed by golf - Presidents Cup and Quail Hollow. So we’ve become an afterthought on a weekly Friday segment that began as exclusively a discussion of Niner hoops![/quote]

At this point in time, I am more ok with us being an afterthought than I used to be. IMO, Davidson has passed us as a program, both in quality of play and also with the conference they are in. Sadly, they may be out-drawing us in number of non-students attending their home basketball games. They have always done a good job in appealing to the community to support their games. I know numerous fans that support Davidson basketball, and none of them went to school there.

I always criticized the O for their attempts at preventing local interest in 49er basketball during our CUSA-1 years, but there is not much for them to write about now.[/quote]
And speaking of the Big O, Scott’s piece on tonight’s GW @ Davidson game and the A-10 conference race is located on today’s sports front of the printed edition, while the aforementioned linked piece on the Niners is buried inside.

clt says the Davidson GW game is sold out.

For the younger 49ers on the board, that means all of the tickets are sold.

I always criticized the O for their attempts at preventing local interest in 49er basketball during our CUSA-1 years, but there is not much for them to write about now.[/quote]
And speaking of the Big O, Scott’s piece on tonight’s GW @ Davidson game and the A-10 conference race is located on today’s sports front of the printed edition, while the aforementioned linked piece on the Niners is buried inside.[/quote]

When there is a conflict between Davidson and Charlotte, Scott covers Davidson and we get a correspondent. This change happened in early January if my memory serves me correctly.

And speaking of the Big O, Scott’s piece on tonight’s GW @ Davidson game and the A-10 conference race is located on today’s sports front of the printed edition, while the aforementioned linked piece on the Niners is buried inside.[/quote]

When there is a conflict between Davidson and Charlotte, Scott covers Davidson and we get a correspondent. This change happened in early January if my memory serves me correctly.[/quote] Scott tweeted he was shifting over to Davidson when it happened.

We are a football school now. Scott will follow us in the fall.

When there is a conflict between Davidson and Charlotte, Scott covers Davidson and we get a correspondent. This change happened in early January if my memory serves me correctly.[/quote] Scott tweeted he was shifting over to Davidson when it happened.[/quote]

so there are two stories here:

1. davidson tied for first in pretty good conference…in their first year
  2. charlotte struggles to make the tournament in lousy conference

whatcha gonna cover?

it makes me sad, but that is what it is!

I’m sure Major was happy for the noncoverage.

Meant he didn’t have to go hide under the covers until the “badman” went away.

Don’t know which is worse…a coach who hates public speaking or …ah what’s the use.

[quote=“lucky57, post:11, topic:29440”]I’m sure Major was happy for the noncoverage.

Meant he didn’t have to go hide under the covers until the “badman” went away.

Don’t know which is worse…a coach who hates public speaking or …ah what’s the use.[/quote]
Might be better if it were non-coverage considering it’s been another Niner slide in conference play. Decreased coverage more apt description.

Anyway, don’t blame the Big O for switching Scott over to covering Davidson games and going with freelancer for Niner home games and AP etc for away games. And same with ESPN 730 - Scott has been brutally honest in his assessment of the Niner program and no use beating that dead horse anymore than necessary.

Winking takes care of the issue. Hire someone who can coach and we aren’t having this discussion. Can’t blame the media for not covering us when we aren’t relevant.

I do not blame the Big O. Not this time. Davidson deserves the attention now. We do not.

When there is a conflict between Davidson and Charlotte, Scott covers Davidson and we get a correspondent. This change happened in early January if my memory serves me correctly.[/quote] Scott tweeted he was shifting over to Davidson when it happened.[/quote]

so there are two stories here:

2. charlotte struggles to make the tournament in lousy conference

whatcha gonna cover?

it makes me sad, but that is what it is![/quote]

Yep. We suck. They don’t. Period.

I do not blame the Big O. Not this time. Davidson deserves the attention now. We do not.[/quote] That is why they are called the Davidson Observer. ;D

[quote=“earlyniner, post:10, topic:29440”]so there are two stories here:

2. charlotte struggles to make the tournament in lousy conference[/quote]

I have heard that you cannot get good players to come to the Charlotte area to play basketball against a bunch of Northeastern schools. >:(

You cant. But you can get the same guys davidson had and continue to coach them up. Give Mckillop our guys for the past four years and id bet good money we are top 25 now and have been. Sorry for the sad truth.

This. The a10 hasn’t changed what McKillop does.

McKillop recruits guys he knows he can coach up. Not all players can be coached up. If McKillop was our coach I imagine our roster wouldn’t be the same.