DeCourcy thoughts on age restriction

He doesn’t think much about the 19 year old limit…

FOXSports.com: New NBA age limit does zip for college game

That was a great article. I didn’t think about kids trying to go to prep school for a year instead of going to college.

Thanks Run!!

If I’m an NBA scout or executive, I would be very suspicious about a kid’s talent if he chooses to hide out at prep school when he could be playing at a major D-1 school or in the NBDL. I’m sure there will be some NBA folks that will not care, but if the kid is a supposed NBA star then why is he hiding? There are plenty of available insurance policies available for these kinds of kids should they get injured in college, so that reason won’t fly. The ones that choose this route will mainly be afraid of their weaknesses being exposed by experienced college players, plain and simple.

[i]Originally posted by X-49er[/i]@Jun 24 2005, 11:23 AM [b] If I'm an NBA scout or executive, I would be very suspicious about a kid's talent if he chooses to hide out at prep school when he could be playing at a major D-1 school or in the NBDL. [/b]
X, if I was an NBA scout, I would be suspicious of the vast majority (99.9%) of kids who declare right out of high school. If that's not stopping them from drafting those players, then I don't know why the prep school thing would make much difference either.
[i]Originally posted by run49er+Jun 24 2005, 12:15 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (run49er @ Jun 24 2005, 12:15 PM)

Yeah but the NBA is a “futures market” and everyone is driven by fear. Fear of losing the next Tracey McGrady or Kobe Bryant. All you have to do is look at how the pre draft camps operate to see how the NBA system works.

Potential first round picks will not even play in the camp to improve their position or show their worth. Players will only audition in individual workouts instead of head to head. Agents and handlers are to blame for most of this. If you hype a kid enough why take the chance of having him exposed when obviously the NBA General Managers will bite on “upside” or “potential” almost every time(or at least that is what the agents believe).

I really despise the NBA.

Dont get the wrong idea about this situation. The NBA didnt approve the age restriction hoping that these kids would go to college. They approved it because it could be good for them. The NBA is hoping that the elite HS players will spend a year in the NBDL and pick up its attention.

NCAA restricts playing games vs. non NCAA opponents. I imagine eventually, when the Big Conferences break away from the NCAA in a few years, you will be able to see an ACC team vs. an NBDL team that has the next Lebron playing for it. We need to get rid of Judy and move up in the ranks quick.

Does nothing to improve the image of the NBA though.
Don’t they (both sides) realize TV ratings are down?

I think if Stern would have gotten the 20 year age minimum college basketball would have benefitted much more, as would have the NBA. With the NHL’s image now in shambles after its lockout and TV ratings down this season even without hockey, his leverage was not what he thought it was going to be.

[i]Originally posted by X-49er[/i]@Jun 24 2005, 11:23 AM [b] If I'm an NBA scout or executive, I would be very suspicious about a kid's talent if he chooses to hide out at prep school when he could be playing at a major D-1 school or in the NBDL. I'm sure there will be some NBA folks that will not care, but if the kid is a supposed NBA star then why is he hiding? There are plenty of available insurance policies available for these kinds of kids should they get injured in college, so that reason won't fly. The ones that choose this route will mainly be afraid of their weaknesses being exposed by experienced college players, plain and simple. [/b]
If we're ok with guys coming to Charlotte and staying only 1 or 2 years, we could benefit from this new trend. A young talented player has a lot better of chance of dominating at Charlotte playing in the A-10 than the ACC or Big East. If they're concerned about their stock dropping...why not choose us?

-play in a NBA city (including Bobcat arena in 2007)
-be the go-to guy immediately in wide-open offense (See Rodney)
-win 20 games, conf, get tournament exposure
-play against lesser overall competition (compared to top 6 conferences)
-Basketball school with nice facilities, BMOC since no football
-without the pressures of playing for a perennial power

They’re number one goal is to get the big contract in the NBA. Charlotte is a basketball school.