Deng Leek 2011 C

Attends Wesleyan Academy in High Point. Is really raw offensively, but a force on the defensive end. Can get up and down the court in transition pretty well. Struggles with his shot particularly his free throws. Top 150 rivals recruit.

Rivals profile - 3 stars
Scout profile - 2 stars
ESPN profile - 91 rating

As you can see he is really raw offensively, but can change the game on the defensive endā€¦
Reminds me of Iti and an old school player, Kane from the late 90ā€™s.

deng leek

6ā€™10" center who was listed by espn.com as a player to watch at the lebron camp. had us listed as one of the schools he likes. and here is a nice suprise, they have us listed first and itā€™s not an alphabetical order thing.

Big guys that are raw offensively have typically been useless projects that never pan out with usā€¦they would never improve.

Iā€™m hoping this is one of the things that changes with the new regimeā€¦especially with Majorā€™s rep as a Big Man coach.

Imagine what could have been with Iti or Gaby or any of our other past big busts if they could have been developed a little more offensively. Instead, none of them got any better and none of them really helped us.

Againā€¦if Major really can develop big guysā€¦it could open up a whole new world for us in recruiting and in the product we are able to put on the court.

Big guys that are raw offensively have typically been useless projects that never pan out with usā€¦they would never improve.

Iā€™m hoping this is one of the things that changes with the new regimeā€¦especially with Majorā€™s rep as a Big Man coach.

Imagine what could have been with Iti or Gaby or any of our other past big busts if they could have been developed a little more offensively. Instead, none of them got any better and none of them really helped us.

Againā€¦if Major really can develop big guysā€¦it could open up a whole new world for us in recruiting and in the product we are able to put on the court.[/quote]

in the case of someone like iti, you canā€™t develop a big man who doesnā€™t want to work but yes i think having a big man coach like major will help with the developement with guys like this. i wouldnā€™t mind having this guy at all and we can offer him playing time with phil graduating. it would be nice to land a true center so we can move braswell back to power forward.

Player to watch[b][url=http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=66389]Deng Leek[/url] (High Point, N.C./Wesleyan Christian) 2011, C, 6-foot-10, 220 pounds[/b] Leek got our attention with his constant activity in both drills and the scrimmage. With his mobility and tremendous length, he is a constant shot-blocking threat and is very difficult to score over. When he does not block shots, he is in position to contest them. He runs the floor extremely well and finishes above the rim from drop-off passes created by dribble penetration. Leek is a raw prospect who has great upside, but his hands need work but he should greatly benefit from the intense skill work from the Academy. Leek is definitely one to watch if his offense catches up with his defense. At this point in his recruiting, he likes Charlotte, Wake Forest, Virginia Tech, Ohio State, Clemson and Washington.

Go for it! 6ā€™10 an long. I say with Coach Majorā€™s history of developing big men we should give him a look.

He mentions Ohio State last (not that its placement necessarily has anything to do with it) - could it be that he is one of Majors past recruits at OSU that heā€™s trying to bring with him?

that may very well be the case. He could make an immediate impact in the paint defensively, offense needs a lot of work. He looks to be athletic, but not a elite athlete.

I asked about rosters for the King City Classic and got this response from http://twitter.com/NorthstarBball

@rossmith Nope, sorry. I'd think that Charlotte is mainly here for Deng Leek.

[quote=ā€œmoss2k, post:11, topic:22336ā€]I asked about rosters for the King City Classic and got this response from http://twitter.com/NorthstarBball

@rossmith Nope, sorry. I'd think that Charlotte is mainly here for Deng Leek.
[/quote]

what was the question?

I think I asked who we were looking at.

Another Heart-Warming ā€˜Blind Sideā€™ Story
click on the video

Finally, a Leek update. Heā€™s currently on an official visit to WKU and is now closer to 7ā€™1.

per Rivals:

Leek now has offers from Charlotte, George Washington and Alabama State. WKU, Washington and Alabama are also in hot pursuit and could be close to offering.

Should he be shown on the 2011 update as ā€œofferā€?

[quote=ā€œTenniner, post:16, topic:22336ā€]Should he be shown on the 2011 update as ā€œofferā€?[/quote]Good catch, will update that.

ESPN breakdown:

[b]Strengths:[/b] Leek is an extra long and active post player with great upside. He runs the floor extremely well and can finish above the rim with a clear path. Leek is an excellent rim runner and seems to always get a basket by beating opposing post down the floor. He is an excellent area rebounder and shot blocker. Leek has good timing and does a nice job of always knowing where the ball is located and reacts very quickly that usually results in a blocked or change shot. He has a good jump hook over his left should and does a good job of moving to the vision of the passer. [b]Weaknesses:[/b] Strength should be at the top of Leeks list of things to improve along with gaining strength in his hands. He does not have bad hands but they seem to be weak at this stage of his development. He has a jump hook but is extremely raw on the offensive end of the floor. At times he struggles to hold his low post position as well. [b]Bottom Line:[/b] Leek's defense is definitely ahead of his offense but he plays with great urgency and affects the game with his ability to block shots and rebound along with wide open finishes. Strength will solve most of Leeks problems but he must also work to develop a low post scoring package. He has great upside and his best playing days are clearly ahead of him.

his visit to WKU went well, but is still going to visit Charlotte. However, a time is not set in stone. He will also be appearing on the Rachael Ray show (WTF?) and discussing his life story.

WKU does have a transfer that is africian as well, and Leek said heā€™s like his ā€œolderā€ brother.

Bring back the Goonj