Desmond Oliver - new assistant coach for Charlotte

link: http://blogs.buffalonews.com/campus/2010/04/oliver-leaves-canisius-for-charlotte.html

Desmond’s bio

Previous experience at UGA, St. Bon & URI. Most recently at Canisius.

Old bio from UGA

Can’t seem to stay put very long…guess that shows he is a wanted man(?)

Sounds like a very good recruiter.

Lots of roots in NYC. I guess the idea is to assemble a group with ties in the Northeast and locally while Coach knows the Ohio area good. Seems like we are trying to recruit A10 areas more thoroughly…seems like a good plan on paper. Better than hitting midwest Jucos, Florida and Baltimore IMO.

1 Like

Lots of player of the years, high honor guys…plus experience and connections in the South (UGA) and NE (RI, St. Bonnie). Sounds like the perfect fit.

[quote=“49erFan1, post:4, topic:23108”]Lots of roots in NYC. I guess the idea is to assemble a group with ties in the Northeast and locally while Coach knows the Ohio area good. Seems like we are trying to recruit A10 areas more thoroughly…seems like a good plan on paper. Better than hitting midwest Jucos, Florida and Baltimore IMO.[/quote]I’m fine with not looking to mid-west JUCO’s and Florida, but Baltimore should not be ignored. That are is full of talent and in an area where the A10 has respect.

I agree, we should not alienate the MD/DC area.

I was about to post the same thing. Saying you want us to get out of Baltimore is just ignorant. That area is flat out LOADED with talent. It’s very rare that a recruit out of the Baltimore/DC area ends up being a bust.

Good to have another coach with A-10 experience. Just glad we’re not one of the programs under NCAA sanctions that he’s had to deal with!

At Rhode Island, Oliver was credited with landing Will Daniels, among others.

Judging by his rivals page, it looks like he prefers to recruit locally for his school.

Big picture - heavy local recruiting strategy as an inroads to building community interest/involvement?

I mean, we gripe as a program about how we get more respect nationally than we get locally. If you suddenly develop a pipeline of local kids, then you’re also building hometown interest from a marketing standpoint.

I just don’t think that’s a coincidence. It’s probably very intentional and a key cog in an overall strategy.

I think having a team with area talent will help garner more interest. However, that will on go so far. NCAA W’s > local talent

Luckily for us, this area has enough talent to equal NCAA W’s. Getting local talent and making a couple runs in the NCAA’s with that talent would do wonders for us.

I like this move, he looks like a good recruiter. Welcome Coach Oliver!

[quote=“NinerAdvocate, post:11, topic:23108”]Big picture - heavy local recruiting strategy as an inroads to building community interest/involvement?

I mean, we gripe as a program about how we get more respect nationally than we get locally. [b]If you suddenly develop a pipeline of local kids, then you’re also building hometown interest from a marketing standpoint.

I just don’t think that’s a coincidence. It’s probably very intentional and a key cog in an overall strategy.[/b][/quote]
yup. don’t know why it took a coach not from the area to realize this.

Plenty of talent in the “Channel 9 Viewing Area” to pick from.

I was about to post the same thing. Saying you want us to get out of Baltimore is just ignorant. That area is flat out LOADED with talent. It’s very rare that a recruit out of the Baltimore/DC area ends up being a bust.[/quote]

Who said that I wanted us to get out of Baltimore. We got Eddie, Demon and Rodney White from there. (I just realized Braswell is also from that area). The problem is not the talent, it’s getting the talent consistently which is why I like the plan that this staff has seeming devised, build logical pipelines in good areas with good exposure and use that to consistently be able to perform yearly.

We’ve got a lot of good resumes on our staff now, lets see them start pulling in talent. I’m not expecting to pull any big names for '10, but we should start to see some benefits in the '11 class if they can translate their recruiting skills to Charlotte.

i can’t wait to see how this works out. sounds like he has lots of A10 experience. that’s good. sounds like he has lots ties to the northeast. that’s good too. i hope he pans out.

I was about to post the same thing. Saying you want us to get out of Baltimore is just ignorant. That area is flat out LOADED with talent. It’s very rare that a recruit out of the Baltimore/DC area ends up being a bust.[/quote]

Who said that I wanted us to get out of Baltimore. We got Eddie, Demon and Rodney White from there. (I just realized Braswell is also from that area). The problem is not the talent, it’s getting the talent consistently which is why I like the plan that this staff has seeming devised, build logical pipelines in good areas with good exposure and use that to consistently be able to perform yearly.[/quote]

Don’t forget, Briscoe is from that area also. Of course, some of those guys including Braswell are DC guys, not so much Baltimore.

still would expect a couple of pretty good players for next year with all the contacts they have on the staff, plus we can offer playing time as we will be thin at several spots.