DeVarte Watson - 2017 F JUCO - Released from LOI

Thanks for posting video.

It would also seem like he is use to playing in front of empty seats so that won’t change for him next year.

[quote=“cibik02, post:21, topic:30579”]Thanks for posting video.

It would also seem like he is use to playing in front of empty seats so that won’t change for him next year.[/quote]

jeez man. can you give it a rest and cool the negativity for five minutes?

[quote=“ninerfan55, post:22, topic:30579”][quote=“cibik02, post:21, topic:30579”]Thanks for posting video.

It would also seem like he is use to playing in front of empty seats so that won’t change for him next year.[/quote]

jeez man. can you give it a rest and cool the negativity for five minutes?[/quote]

I’ve been only negative this year. I’ve been positive the rest so I’ll give myself a pass.

Watched most of the second half although his playing time was limited because of the score.

Watson wasn’t much of a force on offense although he finished two nice dunks. He seemed to move in transition well, which could be a nice asset for us next year if we try to run and gun a lot.

His on ball defense wasn’t the best but he recovered well and did force some missed shots in addition to his 6 blocks. He has a good vertical and his athleticism will be an upgrade for us around the rim on both sides of the ball.

Overall, it’s hard to tell how his skill set will adapt to D-1 competition but he looks to be a decent pick up.

Final stats: http://goseadevils.com/sports/mbkb/2016-17/boxscores/20161202_0dn3.xml

[quote author=cibik02 link=topic=34545.msg678021#msg678021 date=1480783597]

[quote=“ninerfan55, post:22, topic:30579”][quote=“cibik02, post:21, topic:30579”]Thanks for posting video.

jeez man. can you give it a rest and cool the negativity for five minutes?[/quote]

Nope. That’s just how some people are. Will complain about lack of attendance and lack of winning by more if we win tonight.

If attendance sucks and we either lose or struggle to beat a 200 RPI team there could be complaints.

Anyways, back on topic, hope he succeeds here and can dominate the paint.

Attention all big men being recruited by Charlotte.  What better potential situation exist that offers an elite point guard (soph future NBAer ) with assorted complimentary pieces with the exception of a serviceable big man. Jumping at offers that guarantee you nothing, we offer immediate playing time with NBA VIP's near by. A coach with NBA connections in a city that takes no back seat in opportunities awaiting graduates, it should be a no brainer. What are these kids thinking?                                                                                                                                              
 There is no greater athletic pleasure than being an underdog and beating up on the established elite.  I ask "does every recruit for Carolina and Duke play in the NBA" Of course not.  You may be good enough to develop into a prospect but will you get the court time, experience, or dedicated coaching to develop. Maybe , but I'll bet there are many former players that never got the chance after swallowing the lies recruiters spout.  You're just a number at a position that may well be recruited over. Go ahead, enter your soph season after riding the bench and find out that 2 blue chippers at your position just signed.  There are no loyalties in the big business of upper echelon elite programs. You transfer, sit out a year, then try to fit in somewhere competing with 4 year guys who may feel resentful.  I think it's too much drama filled with pot holes of nothing but potential failure.
 Falling on deaf ears, I appreciate a forum where one can vent.  If only it makes sense to one recruit it was worth it.

Our only pickup so far for next season, so if we’re looking forward to better times, I don’t think this guy offers much encouragement beyond his length.

Halfway through this season, he plays less than half a game, averages less than 8pts and shoot 35% from the free throw line. This is for a community college, so we can’t exactly expect much from the guy.

[quote author=dmastinsc link=topic=34545.msg679483#msg679483 This is for a community college, so we can’t exactly expect much from the guy.
[/quote]

That is no ordinary community college my friend. That is CAPE FEAR COMMUNITY COLLEGE aka Home of the Future Niners!!! That is a direct pipeline to future relevance and status in the sporting world known as NCAA basketball. Now some of you might say it is no Wabash Valley Community College home of the dump truck himself but just wait after 5 years of draining their talent it could be hugeeee!!!

[quote=“dmastinsc, post:28, topic:30579”]Our only pickup so far for next season, so if we’re looking forward to better times, I don’t think this guy offers much encouragement beyond his length.

Halfway through this season, he plays less than half a game, averages less than 8pts and shoot 35% from the free throw line. This is for a community college, so we can’t exactly expect much from the guy.[/quote]

Typically CC’s try to play 9-12 guys to give equal exposure and not many get high minutes.

[quote=“Threemire09, post:30, topic:30579”][quote=“dmastinsc, post:28, topic:30579”]Our only pickup so far for next season, so if we’re looking forward to better times, I don’t think this guy offers much encouragement beyond his length.

Halfway through this season, he plays less than half a game, averages less than 8pts and shoot 35% from the free throw line. This is for a community college, so we can’t exactly expect much from the guy.[/quote]

Typically CC’s try to play 9-12 guys to give equal exposure and not many get high minutes.[/quote]

Fair enough, but he’s getting the 6th most minutes and scoring the 7th most points. I think it’s a fair point that our only pick up so far for next season isn’t someone we can expect will change much.

DeVarte has been released from his LOI.

What do we do? Can we poach a D2 program or something? We need another big man in the worst way.

clt bets he ends up at wku

Anybody know why?

Anybody know why?[/quote]

grAIDS

This throws some cold water on my excitement for the upcoming season.

Hopefully Price’s season success isn’t relying on a cape fear juco. He needs to produce good results or be gone.

Was going to be some much needed size, if not a contributor on the offensive end. Damnit.

Not good. Leaves a hole at backup center. Not that he was going to star or anything…but we needed his fouls at least.

It is disappointing that in the early signing period last year we came up with a big old goose egg as far as recruiting with him not attending. In fact, the previous year, the only early signing we had is QJ who averaged 5.5 PPG for us one season before transferring out.

I’m glad we’ve got a ‘commit’ early this year at least, but if you want a recipe for failure as a basketball team, the above paragraph is it. I can’t say that’s the worst early recruiting results in the nation, cause I don’t know. But, I know it can’t be far off.