Did the NBA fix playoff games?

I wouldn’t be shocked.

[URL]http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/8231176/Report:-Donaghy-says-refs-fixed-playoff-series[/URL]

Ever since the Lakers beat the Kings in a series where the Kings were killing them on the court in every game, but were still managing to “foul” even when they weren’t near the other team, I was convinced that the NBA is rigged.

Of course, one could say that the phantom foul on LJ’s four point play could be the first indication that they were truly rigged.

Edit: Oh, that’s the series they are talking about in the article. Ha! I think everyone pretty much knew that series was scripted.

If this pans out to be true, they better give Jeff Van Gundy his money back from the $100,000 that he got fined for finding out that this was indeed taking place back in 2005. What better way to get TV ratings up than to rig it to where the teams that get good TV ratings are in the finals. Hmmmmmmm…Lakers vs Celtics? 7 games? Hmmmmmmmm…

I don’t think the NBA is any more rigged than any other professional sport. It is easier to call out basketball though, because the refs have the easiest and most influence on the outcome of the games.

[QUOTE=Charlotte2002;324509]I don’t think the NBA is any more rigged than any other professional sport. It is easier to call out basketball though, because the refs have the easiest and most influence on the outcome of the games.[/QUOTE]

That, and the refs admit they rig games.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;324511]That, and the refs admit they rig games.[/QUOTE]

One ref said it and that ref is willing to say anything to get out of significant jail time…

[QUOTE=Charlotte2002;324512]One ref said it and that ref is willing to say anything to get out of significant jail time…[/QUOTE]

Yeah, and there were no steroids in baseball. None of the stuff the dealers said to reduce their jail time was true, either.:huh: Jose Canseco made all of that stuff up.

[QUOTE=X-49er;324513]Yeah, and there were no steroids in baseball. None of the stuff the dealers said to reduce their jail time was true, either.:huh: Jose Canseco made all of that stuff up.[/QUOTE]

apples & oranges

[QUOTE=Charlotte2002;324514]apples & oranges[/QUOTE]

Canseco, yes.

The dealers that provided information to the FBI and Senator Mitchell to reduce/stay out of jail, no.

That’s apples to apples. Steroids were prevalant in the game but were the cloud nobody wanted to shed some light on even though anybody with a brain new it was taking place. When the feds started going after the dealers, they most all copped to the FBI who they dealt to in order to stay out of jail.

What Donaghy is doing may very well be the same thing - shedding light on something the league denies that exists.

[QUOTE=X-49er;324516]Canseco, yes.

The dealers that provided information to the FBI and Senator Mitchell to reduce/stay out of jail, no.

That’s apples to apples. Steroids were prevalant in the game but were the cloud nobody wanted to shed some light on even though anybody with a brain new it was taking place. When the feds started going after the dealers, they most all copped to the FBI who they dealt to in order to stay out of jail.

What Donaghy is doing may very well be the same thing - shedding light on something the league denies that exists.[/QUOTE]

Donaghy is claiming the fix was mandated by the league, that is a much more significant claim then what the steroid dealers were making.

Donaghy is claiming the fix was mandated by the league, that is a much more significant claim then what the steroid dealers were making.

??? Not if the league mandated to ignore steroid use.

No surprise. The league has tried to get/keep teams and players most likely to draw a big tv crowd in the playoffs for years… That’s why superstars like Michael Jordan were allowed to take 7 steps instead of the league standard 5 without getting called for traveling.

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;324527]No surprise. The league has tried to get/keep teams and players most likely to draw a big tv crowd in the playoffs for years… That’s why superstars like Michael Jordan were allowed to take 7 steps instead of the league standard 5 without getting called for traveling.[/QUOTE]

I guess that is why the Spurs have been the the NBA Finals so many times.

I guess that is why the Spurs have been the the NBA Finals so many times.
Well.............. Timmy Duncan does draw a strong tv audience. :smile:

[QUOTE=Powerbait;324497]Ever since the Lakers beat the Kings in a series where the Kings were killing them on the court in every game, but were still managing to “foul” even when they weren’t near the other team, I was convinced that the NBA is rigged.

Of course, one could say that the phantom foul on LJ’s four point play could be the first indication that they were truly rigged.

Edit: Oh, that’s the series they are talking about in the article. Ha! I think everyone pretty much knew that series was scripted.[/QUOTE]

I’m with you. That was the last time I’ve watched the NBA. I knew the NBA wanted Shaq and Kobe’ to advance. I like that I (and the residents of Sacremento) might have been onto something.

Tintin

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;324532]Well… [B]Timmy Duncan[/B] does draw a strong tv audience. :smile:[/QUOTE]
in my opinion tim is an amazing player but so hard to watch because he’s very fundamental. which makes the way he plays almost boring.

could the belmont have been fixed too. everybody and their brother bet the favorite.

I would say the Belmont was fixed, but Big Brown had a bad hoof, so you knew to not bet on him.
At least w/ 'roids, everyone was on them, so you didn’t know who’d win. If someone is down 3-1, & the Nba wants a 7-game series, then you would know who’d win, the team losing the series.
I thought it was odd the year the Hornets made the 2nd Rd. vs. the Bulls in the mid-'90’s, & our team played scared vs. MJ & Pippen, even thought they hadn’t been scared all year. I wonder if Stern told them to not challenge MJ.
It also seems odd that a team that is so sorry that they have to go 7 games to beat the worst play-off team in history, Atlanta, would have the talent to beat Cleveland & Detroit to get to the Finals.

This year’s lottery teams all either moved up +1 or -1 from their W-L rank with the sole exception of Chicago which moved up +8 to the #2 (or#3?) pick. This more or less coincides with Chicago being one of the top media markets in the US. Coincidence?

[QUOTE=Charlotte2002;324530]I guess that is why the Spurs have been the the NBA Finals so many times.[/QUOTE]

Making their accomplishments over the last 8 years that much more astonishing, considering that the refs might have been working against them at times.

I watched the Mavericks-Heat finals because of the local interest, and I thought it was rigged heavily in Games 6 and 7. Dallas was doing everything right, only to not get any whistles and to get whistled for getting perspiration on Heat players.

I guess all the people bitching about Federal oversight in sports will have something else to bitch about when Congress goes after Stern.