Diener's free throw

Does anyone understand what happened when Diener got the rebound off his missed free throw after the whistle blew and he then got the layup? What was that all about?

was a botched call by the officials. looked like the whistle blew and the ref was going to get the ball from withers(i think). Diener took the ball from withers and shot it. the ref was about 1 foot from diener when he made the shot. it should not have counted.

I think the refs screwed up twice there- blowing the whiste and then allow the basketball.

The only thing I can guess is the ref who blew the whistle by mistake didn’t own up to it. A call a few minutes later was just as bad when a Marquette guy (Novak maybe?) called TO while tipping the ball while out of bounds … he never had control of the ball and never should have been given the TO. Ah well, it all ended well.

bs call by the refs, sorry officiating all the way aorund Lutz was pissed and should have been several to’s called by MU when they did not even have the ball

Matt said it was a 1-and-1 situation, Diener missed first, Curt rebounded but wasn’t aware it was a 1-and-1 and Diener stripped the ball from him. The way Matt described it, it just sounded like Curt had a brain fart and didn’t realize the ball was alive.

curt didn’t have a brain fart. the whistle blew and the ref was in the lane coming to get the ball from withers.

[i]Originally posted by pcon[/i]@Jan 22 2005, 05:03 PM [b] I think the refs screwed up twice there- blowing the whiste and then allow the basketball. [/b]
Exactly right pcon.

The situation was Diener got fouled, on the floor by Eddie. The calling ref signed 1 and 1, while the ref who administered the free throws signaled it was 2 shots, hence everybody just standing around. The whistle did blow before diener took the ball and laid it in, so that should not have counted, either.

yeah… although he shouldn’t have, the ref blew the whistle… play should have been dead. I can’t believe they counted the it. Thank goodness that wasn’t the deciding basket.

I wasn’t aware the whistle blew first. The way Matt described it at first, it was if Withers just fell asleep for a second.

Oh well…at least it wasn’t a play that changed the outcome of the game.

[b]The way Matt described it, it just sounded like Curt had a brain fart and didn't realize the ball was alive.[/b]

So did the other 8 players on the court. Very weird seeing it on tv. Matt was misleading you :lol:

agree Curt did not have a brain fart were you weatching the gasme? Ref blew the whistle sorry bs call as i said and a siorry bs crew.

Good news it did not matter but what bothered me was the bs to calls allowed by the refs when MU called them going out of bounds and did not even have the ball.

[i]Originally posted by pcon[/i]@Jan 22 2005, 05:20 PM [b] Matt was misleading you :lol: [/b]
Imagine that :P
[b]I wasn't aware the whistle blew first. The way Matt described it at first, it was if Withers just fell asleep for a second.

Oh well…at least it wasn’t a play that changed the outcome of the game.
[/b]

In Matt’s defense, he probably did not hear the whistle or see the ref on the baseline holding his arms out to Withers as if to say “give me the ball”.

It was terrible. The refs screwed up bad. What was worse is that they didn’t even try to rectify their mistake.

[b]yeah... although he shouldn't have, the ref blew the whistle... play should have been dead. I can't believe they counted the it. Thank goodness that wasn't the deciding basket.[/b]

Somewhere Melvin Levett feels redemption. :wink:

[i]Originally posted by jcl49er[/i]@Jan 22 2005, 05:08 PM [b] it just sounded like Curt had a brain fart [/b]
curt didn't have the brain fart... the ref had the brain fart for blowing the whistle... they should've just given it to marquette again to shoot 1 more.
[i]Originally posted by NinerLoudNProud[/i]@Jan 22 2005, 08:41 PM [b] Somewhere Melvin Levett feels redemption. ;) [/b]
Holy crap that is quality!

Gotta salute NLP on that one. :toast: :clap: