Digital Cameras.....

looking for a good/cheap digital camera…Really don’t want to spend more than $200 for one

You all got any good suggestions?

currently looking at this one Nikon Coolpix 3200 3.2MP

I have a Kodak Easyshare 3.1 megapixel. I like it a lot - very user friendly.

[i]Originally posted by moss2k[/i]@Oct 4 2004, 11:28 PM [b] looking for a good/cheap digital camera....Really don't want to spend more than $200 for one

You all got any good suggestions?

currently looking at this one Nikon Coolpix 3200 3.2MP [/b]

I have the Nikon Coolpix 3700. It’s the only slim one they designed. Absolutely love it. Takes 640x480 movies for as long as the memory card can hold. I’d imagine the 3200 is similar.

Oh, and I didnt pay $320 for it. More like $182 after rebates. I also strongly advise that you get at least a 256 MB memory card and an extra rechargeable battery & carrying case is also a near must.

u talking about this one
Kodak Digital Camera

NA, you think this is a good deal?

Nikon Coolpix 3700

Yes.

That is an excellent deal. That’s $50 less than I paid for mine just a few months ago.

The upside of that camera is that it is pocket sized (!), has a 3x optical zoom lense, it takes good quality movies, and I think the maximum resolution is about 2048x1536, which is twice as big as my 1024x768 desktop and prints superb quality 5x7 photos, and pretty good looking 8.5x11 ones. It has a lot of shooting features, and high build quality with a brushed metal face & metal back. The software that comes with it is good & easy to use, especially the red eye eliminator.

The only downsides I can find are that Nikon is phasing them out in favor of their bigger, bulkier cameras, and the little battery door, as on most of these cameras, is plastic and broke when I dropped it (doh! nikon replaced it for free). And all digital cameras look grainy (especially video) in low light/night. Other than that, I love it.

Do not buy any accessories from that vendor. Thy are way overpriced. I bought a 256 MB SD card (tiny!) from newegg, and a battery off an ebay store. Get a high speed (“ultra”) memory card for about $40 (better for video) and the replacement battery, a mini tripod and a case cost me about $15 (the extra EN-EL5 battery was $5 - these guys you linked want $60!).

Check out this site for good camera reviews and comparisons.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/

thanks NA, looks like I’ll be getting that one

NA, appx how many pictures can a 256mb card hold on high quality?

Well they should be about 3.2 MB per highest quality. S0 256/3.2 would be 80.

Put it this way, I took it to Chicago for the 4th and took dozens of shots every day plus 5 movies and didnt fill up the card. I remember seeing photo numbers in the 80’s & 90’s, and I took about 50% of my shots in high quality. Regular quality is a lot better than you probably think though.

Point being, 256 MB was plenty as long as you empty it between trips/sessions.

thx NA, now it’s off to EBAY to search for one… :smiley:

Or you can do what we do and take your laptop along with you on trips - that way you don’t have to worry about how many pictures that you take and you can see the full size pictures while you’re downloading them. It’s also nice to have access to all of your pictures in case you’re missing a special someone back home (ie, my dogs - yeah, I know, goofy - But true!).

[i]Originally posted by moss2k[/i]@Oct 5 2004, 03:48 PM [b] thx NA, now it's off to EBAY to search for one.... :D [/b]
Ebay prices were higher than places like you linked, and you couldnt get the $100 rebate through them.

I got mine from a place like the one you linked. No regrets.

should’ve clarified…i’m looking on ebay for an SD memory card